Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

recommended struts...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2006, 08:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
recommended struts...

I am looking to buy a set of struts for my 02 OZ Lancer in the near future and want the best bang for the buck. I am buying a set of KYB AGX's for my 92 240SX off Ebaymotors for only $300. I was going to try and get the same for my Lancer but there aren't any for it on Ebay. Does anyone know of a really good brand of strut that isn't too expensive? I am not looking to go thoroughbred with the suspension, just want it good and solid. Right now it is so bouncy and jittery, especially when speed shifting.... in fact it is downright rediculous. My stock shocks on my 240 are all blown and it drives 5 times smoother than my Lancer and shifts like a dream!
Old Oct 7, 2006, 09:10 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No one makes struts for an OZ. All you can do is get coilovers. Sorry.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 02:41 PM
Evolving Member

No No i recently i contacted KYB and representative told me that they are coming out with G2 struth and shocks for our car!! around nov. he told me!!!! someone should comfirm this!!
Old Oct 7, 2006, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Meh that's not worth getting excited about, they're basically just stock replacements.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ambystom01
Meh that's not worth getting excited about, they're basically just stock replacements.
+1...You might as well buy coilovers.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 05:43 PM
Evolving Member

hmmm well their website describtion says, g2 shocks are WELL OVER PERFORMENCE THAN STOCKS... well i think tein are the best or JIC for TOP!!!! but if sets for 4 goes for like 300 ish i might buy it for my tein springs!!!
Old Oct 7, 2006, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Of course the manufacturer's website is going to promote their own product, it wouldn't exactly be good marketing if all they said was "a direct replacement for stock shocks", it'd be like Magnaflow saying "our mufflers are pretty pieces of metal that make your car louder but only give 2 hp".
Old Oct 7, 2006, 09:52 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

GR-2s offer a dampening rate that is 10% higher than stock.

If you call that an upgrade that justifies the cost, go for it.
Old Oct 7, 2006, 10:00 PM
EvoM Guru

well, tomorrow i should be putting on my old eibach's onto my evo front struts that i already have on the car. 39mm diameter evo strut piston vs the shoddy stock 22mm strut piston. i doubt they'll blow early since the range of travel on the evo struts is already small, but we'll see in the coming months.

i'm also stuck between getting the KYB GR-2's in the rear as opposed to the stock RA rears. i was pulling up and down on the rear fender of a RA the other weekend that was lowered on Tein S-techs and they were still pretty stiff, although they haven't been on the car long enough to validate their use. anyone take a caliper to the rear strut pistons of a RA? anyone got the GR-2's that want to do the same? length of the strut rod could give some indication to their travel range as well.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 06:33 AM

Well the GR-2's have already been for sell for a little while for the Lancer. What little bit of research I have done, everybody that has them says they suck. My dilemma is, I have a 240SX and that is my money pit/project car. I am not looking at spending $1,000 on coilovers. Frankly that is just overkill and stupid. I do want a good set of struts and maybe a pair of lowering springs. Will the Evo struts really work on an 02 OZ Lancer rhyzin? How much stiffer are they than the stock struts? Any fabrication required to make that work?
Old Oct 8, 2006, 10:25 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by 72charger
Well the GR-2's have already been for sell for a little while for the Lancer. What little bit of research I have done, everybody that has them says they suck. My dilemma is, I have a 240SX and that is my money pit/project car. I am not looking at spending $1,000 on coilovers. Frankly that is just overkill and stupid. I do want a good set of struts and maybe a pair of lowering springs. Will the Evo struts really work on an 02 OZ Lancer rhyzin? How much stiffer are they than the stock struts? Any fabrication required to make that work?
Sadly, there's just no good low-buck option. Granted, there are some good coilovers kits in the $700 range (about what springs/struts would cost).

Evo fronts will work. Rears won't.
Old Oct 8, 2006, 11:17 AM
EvoM Guru

you need 2 camber bolts from the dealership (part number MU000284) to fit the evo struts.

EDIT: you gotta use the evo top mounts. they have a "D" hole that fits to the top of the strut. just found out while i was switching springs over.

Last edited by rhyzin; Oct 8, 2006 at 02:08 PM.