Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Tein Basic Vs. Progress/KYB

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2007, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Teins are made for primarily street use, at least the Tein coilovers available for the lancer. Just because one person has their shocks blow out doesn't mean the coilovers are for race only (hell if they blow on the street they'd be a seriously liability on the track), it simply means that person got a faulty set.
Springs are not a performance modification in my opinion, they are purely an aesthestic piece. Getting a car to handle better is not as simple as just lowering it as much as possible, if that were the case all those ricers who cut their coils would be competing. You have to have a suspension system that is balanced and well setup, which is only really possible for us with coilovers. If you buy a set of Ksport or Megans you can adjust the height, the dampening and the camber angle to get a car that rides and performs great.
There is only one set of aftermarket shocks for our cars, and they are non-adjustable, non-performance KYBs.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 04:00 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^^

I was gonna respond, but amby hit the nail on the head... these threads come up all the time and it seems us guys that understand this keep having to explain it over and over.... Its easy to get good suspension on a lancer.. You just have to fork out the cash for coilovers. Also. your reasoning doesnt make sense cadi. Track driving is much harsher on components then street use. Of course thats if you dont drive like an idiot and hit every pot hole. lol
Old Feb 9, 2007, 10:39 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Nick (amby) is right, mostly.

Springs/shocks can be a performance modification, if planned well. Unfortunately, you can't really do this on the Lancer. They only make shocks for the ES, and those are worthless GR-2s (basically the stock shocks painted gray).
If you had a car with a larger aftermarket support (Civic, Impreza, etc.), it would be possible to buy matched springs/shocks to have a great setup (for example, Prodrive sells a spring/shock pairing for the Impreza that's been specifically tuned to work together).
This is why most people go coilovers - because the springs/struts on the coilovers are built to work together.

It's my opinion that people should completely disregard CadiLuva's post, honestly.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 11:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Here's some info from a guy whose been through the unmatched spring/strut combo, the Tein basics, and now JIC coilovers. Lots of good info. Considering he only got rid of his Teins because he autocrossed and needed more adjustability, I'm sticking with my decision on the Tein basics for street use.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=231001
Old Feb 23, 2007, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Blacksheepdj
Nick (amby) is right, mostly.

Springs/shocks can be a performance modification, if planned well. Unfortunately, you can't really do this on the Lancer. They only make shocks for the ES, and those are worthless GR-2s (basically the stock shocks painted gray).
If you had a car with a larger aftermarket support (Civic, Impreza, etc.), it would be possible to buy matched springs/shocks to have a great setup (for example, Prodrive sells a spring/shock pairing for the Impreza that's been specifically tuned to work together).
This is why most people go coilovers - because the springs/struts on the coilovers are built to work together.

It's my opinion that people should completely disregard CadiLuva's post, honestly.
i have to agree ive been searching for the best options for lowering my car and was hoping kyb made agx adjust able shocks/struts for my lancer es... once i realized they only made the gr2's i decided to start saving up for the tien basic damper kit....
i hear everyone talkin about ksport coilovers but umm where do u buy them? and are they any cheaper than tiens?
Old Feb 23, 2007, 02:43 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Yeah, K-sport is cheaper than Tein. There's a couple vendors selling them. Just poke around and look...

EDIT:
http://tunertools.com/proddetail.asp...P%2DCMT10%2DKP
http://www.imageinmotion.com/KS90-CMT10-KP.htm

And that's from about 2 minutes of looking on Google...

Last edited by Blacksheepdj; Feb 23, 2007 at 02:45 PM.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 06:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
I have Ksport coilovers, PM me for details on where I got them.
Old Feb 23, 2007, 06:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Lumpy
Here's some info from a guy whose been through the unmatched spring/strut combo, the Tein basics, and now JIC coilovers. Lots of good info. Considering he only got rid of his Teins because he autocrossed and needed more adjustability, I'm sticking with my decision on the Tein basics for street use.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=231001

adam will probably be able to help with any suspension question you might have. i am actually running on his old TEIN suspension now.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 09:11 PM
Evolving Member

hmmmm just when you think you find something the idea gets trashed.....i bought some sprint springs oh 2 years ago or so and all they have done is sit which looks like they are probly going to sit even longer....since my plans on ditching the lancer for something else are going to happen for a while i thought hey why not start what you finished and found the kybs and was disapointed to read they are really no better than the stocks ones so in the box my springs will sit probly till i sell the car and ill let someone else have them and leave it to them to see if they want to blown the struts or no

its really kinda sad that the lancers have been in the states since 02 and we are still limited on aftermarket parts
Old Mar 5, 2007, 03:15 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by LNCRES2
its really kinda sad that the lancers have been in the states since 02 and we are still limited on aftermarket parts
Aftermarket support is dependent on demand. Not enough tuners buy Lancers.
Old Mar 10, 2007, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by LNCRES2

I'd hardly call it limited. Try owning a non-SE-R Sentra a few years ago before Nismo came to the US and before the 2001 SE-R came out, there was virtually no aftermarket. Hotshot Performance and Ebay did what they could but that was a real limited aftermarket. What do you need that RRM and the like don't sell? The only thing I can think of is an Evo. Sorry, didn't mean to jack the thread, I just hate it when people complain when they have no idea how bad it can be.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 07:51 AM
Evolving Member

So I've also been thinking about getting Coilovers this summer, and I'm wondering how the Tein SuperStreets pair up, and if there is a better option for less money?
Old Mar 12, 2007, 08:40 AM
Evolved Member

go for it. You won't be dissapointed
Old Mar 12, 2007, 04:00 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally Posted by Lostprophet
So I've also been thinking about getting Coilovers this summer, and I'm wondering how the Tein SuperStreets pair up, and if there is a better option for less money?
They're great coilovers. I loved my SS kit.

NEX are cheaper but haven't gotten the best reviews.
Ksport are pretty new, but people seem to like them so far.
Old Jun 21, 2007, 04:49 PM
hcj
Evolving Member

my biggies concern is how stiff will the ride become using the tein basic
dose it feel bounce? or it depends of the quality of the road

Quick Reply: Tein Basic Vs. Progress/KYB