Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

ROAD/RACE- Big Brake Conversion 2008

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2008, 04:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ROCK
I agree with a lot of what you say. Stock brakes will go fine for a few laps but will ulltimately give up after heat sets in. That is where BIg brak kit comes in. A setup that is not going to be maxed out byu the car/driver will be consistent and shorten stopping distances every time not just on the first stop. It is for serious guys and should be considered for performance reasons and for safety reasons. I am of the beleif that any stock car brake system can improve. Even if it just means pads. I even upgraded my wife's OUtlander cause of safety. I don't want that dreaded call,, Honey I barely hit ...... I couldn't stop in time.

ROAD/RACE
Hey Rock, I know it's a little off-topic, but where would you recommend going for 07 Outlander parts - I'd like to upgrade my wife's Outie as well.
Old Feb 2, 2008, 05:34 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Don't neglect the brake fluid!

By the way, all this talk of brakes, and I don't think anyone has yet brought up the brake fluid. All the upgrades in the world won't help you if you don't have good, clean brake fluid in the system. My Lancer is only 7 months/9000 miles old, so I haven't done anything with that car yet. However, I always put Ate super blue/amber in my 944 and Boxster. (Alternating the blue and gold makes it easier to see what you're doing when you change the fluid.) Anyways, if you do upgrade your brakes and plan to run the car hard, good high temp fluid and regular changes are musts.

Also, if you buy a "power bleeder" (something like this: http://www.motiveproducts.com/) changing brake fluid is an easy and cheap DIY. It takes me less than an hour and less than $20.

See also http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/ate/a...blue_fluid.jsp
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/ate/a...e200_amber.jsp
Old Feb 4, 2008, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Mark Hubley
I just think it sounds like there are a lot of better ways to get bang for your bucks than trying to do the brakes. Here is my reasonably-educated opinion on where to best invest money for upgrades:

For fun street use or autocrossing:

1.* Upgrade the driver! Becoming a better driver is the best and cheapest way to get faster. There are probably various autocross groups in your area that will have people willing to ride with you and teach you--for free!!! The Porsche Club in my area sponsors an "autocross school" each spring. You don't need to be in Porsche Club and you don't need a Porsche to participate. It does cost a minimal amount. Porsche Club autocrosses are also generally open to non-PCA-members and you don't need a Porsche to participate.

2. Wheel/tire upgrades. Get wider wheels and sticky tires. This generally means buying a spare set of wheels and putting R-compound tires. Bigger wheels are not necessarily best, as they generally add weight. 16" is fine for autocrossing. 17"s would be OK. I don't see any need for 18". That just makes 'em heavy.

3. Suspension. You might want to do this along with #2. Sway bars, springs, shocks, possibly bushings.

4. Go for engine mods at this point.

5. New seats that hold you in place and possibly harnesses. Not necessary for autocross, but if you still have money burning holes in your pockets after 1 through 4. If you think they're cool and won't annoy you for daily driving, then go for it.

6. I figure I'll put the brakes here. Upgrading discs to bigger discs is easy. I'm pretty sure that upgrading from drums to discs is going to cost much bigger money. Unfortunately, upgrading your brakes won't bring any benefits in performance unless you hit the track. Maybe spending the money is worth it if you think they look cool.

7. Weight loss program. If you're serious, then start removing stuff that adds unnecessary weight: rear seats, sound deadening, carpet, etc. Maybe replace the hood with something lighter, replace glass windows with lighter materials. If you're hard core, remove the AC!

*If you plan to run your car on the track, then you might consider upgrading brakes as #1. I'm not so sure, though. The brakes on my '08 Lancer appear to be nearly as big as the ones I had on my 944. On the other hand, my Lancer is a bit heavier. I wouldn't be surprised if my stock Lancer brakes could hold up fine on most tracks, especially ones without really long straights. I would bet $$$ that the stock GTS brakes will be fine on a track. Anybody have any experience with this? Upgrading my ES to GTS brakes would be reasonably easy. However, I would NOT take a 3000 lb car with rear drums to the track, period! So, if I had a car with rear drums, I would sell it and buy a car with discs at all four corners. That will likely be the most cost-effective way of upgrading rear drums to rear discs
100% ok with what you say, but I would add 2b) change pads. it help a lot in autocross, even on track. it cost less than changing for bigger brake sets and will improve the braking alot.

also if you track the car..... change brake fluid..... very important.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

I agree. Brake pads are an easy and inexpensive job!
Old Feb 4, 2008, 10:38 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I went to WIllow Springs Sat. I drove some dues 2G Eclispe. WIllow is fast track and not too hard on brakes. Weather was 40ish. 2 laps at speed and the brakes were gone. All he had were pads on stock brakes. There is a moral to that story. FLuid is also important in cars making a ton of brake heat. IT is also a good upgrade to do if you like sprited drivng or a little competition. Call me if you have an Outlander. I kinda mod some RA stuff to fit my wifes car. Isee a lot of posts about price etc... BRakes don't seem important enough to some of you guys. It is certainly not required to drive down the Blvd but upgraded brakes are needed if you are doing any serious driving. You decide which guy you are!

ROAD/RACE

Last edited by ROCK; Feb 4, 2008 at 10:43 AM.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:06 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I went to WIllow Springs Sat. I drove some dues 2G Eclispe. WIllow is fast track and not too hard on brakes. Weather was 40ish. 2 laps at speed and the brakes were gone. All he had were pads on stock brakes. There is a moral to that story. FLuid is also important in cars making a ton of brake heat. IT is also a good upgrade to do if you like sprited drivng or a little competition. Call me if you have an Outlander. I kinda mod some RA stuff to fit my wifes car. Isee a lot of posts about price etc... BRakes don't seem important enough to some of you guys. It is certainly not required to drive down the Blvd but upgraded brakes are needed if you are doing any serious driving. You decide which guy you are!

ROAD/RACE
To summarize what Rock just said:

If your idea of racing is like this:
"OK, how many laps do we have left before the track closes? Get the street tires ready to go back on..."

Then you should get a BBK.

---------------

If your idea of racing is like this:
"Do you see any cops? The stoplight is about to turn green!"

Then you don't need a BBK.
You also need to DIAF for endangering lives, but that's another story.
Old Feb 4, 2008, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
so true sheep!
Old Feb 5, 2008, 03:23 PM
Former Sponsor

OR is your idea of racing is parking at the Dairy Queen.........

ROAD/RACE
Old Feb 5, 2008, 03:24 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

OR is your idea of racing is parking at the Dairy Queen.........

ROAD/RACE
mmmm dairy queen LOL
Old Feb 5, 2008, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

It would be interesting to know if the Eclipse brakes failed because the brakes weren't up to the task or because the guy had 10-year-old brake fluid in the system (or both???).
Old Feb 6, 2008, 10:10 AM
Former Sponsor

The brakes failed cause they were not up to the task of hauling down a 3000 lbgs car from 140 mph to 70 mph.... Even though the weather was cold, like 40 degrees.

ROAD/RACE