Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

Lancer 5-lug & Rear Disc Conversion Part List

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2009, 01:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hay..
i was curious abt how hard it is to make my brakes ABS and is it even possible..?

i already have front evo brembos.they help alot...and its away better than stock..
but thats only in high speeds.and since my car is over 300hp now.and i race in the streets i feel that i need abs for the lower speeds..sometimes i cant accelrate because i have to leave room for braking..which is bad.and i face that alot.

so any ideas abt that

thx
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
question, what about the brake disc setup from the 2004 Mitsubishi Galant? Will that complete set up work?
Old Nov 28, 2009, 01:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tanabe
question, what about the brake disc setup from the 2004 Mitsubishi Galant? Will that complete set up work?
It won't work. Only parts from the Lancer Ralliart or Outlander will work.
The following users liked this post:
Angelpito1 (Sep 5, 2018)
Old Nov 28, 2009, 02:01 PM

awesome...
Old Nov 28, 2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by senate6268
It won't work. Only parts from the Lancer Ralliart or Outlander will work.

why is that? what stops it from working?
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lancer1.6
hay..
i was curious abt how hard it is to make my brakes ABS and is it even possible..?

i already have front evo brembos.they help alot...and its away better than stock..
but thats only in high speeds.and since my car is over 300hp now.and i race in the streets i feel that i need abs for the lower speeds..sometimes i cant accelrate because i have to leave room for braking..which is bad.and i face that alot.

so any ideas abt that

thx
I would love to know this as well...I think it should work relatively easily as the lancer EX or LS has ABS. Was the OZ rally left without ABS as to make it more of a "track" car?
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
ABS will require at the very least:

ABS computer
ABS equipped wiring harness
ABS axles
ABS sensors
ABS front+rear hubs
ABS master cylinder
ABS brake lines

It is a ton of work. You are better off swapping the rest of your car to an ABS shell.

That aside, I am also curious why Galant or Eclipse brakes won't work. The only difference I can think of would be the caliper position and possible e-brake lines.
Old Nov 29, 2009, 08:28 AM
Evolved Member

why is that? what stops it from working?
Ok, let me rephrase. I don't know if it will work. The Eclipse/Galant and Ralliart have different part #'s for their rear caliper. If the bolt hole distance on the calipers is different, then the caliper won't work.

Most of the brake shoe hardware is the same, but the brake shoes themselves are different. The backing plate is also different. The Eclipse/Galant backing plate design hasn't changed in years. The Ralliart backing plate is a unique design. This is probably because the rear suspension design of the Eclipse/Galant is different from that of the Ralliart.

So I don't know if Eclipse/Galant parts will work. As far as Mitsu part #'s go, they don't match up - so in my opinion they won't work. Now that's not to say you couldn't use the rear caliper from an Eclipse/Galant and modify the backing plate or caliper mounting to get it to work. Same with the backing plate - it might fit with minor modification. E-brake cables are also slightly different. All these little differences have turned a bolt-on swap into alot of questions and maybes. Personally, I would rather perform the swap knowing that all the parts will fit and have a 100% stock-like feel and stock-like appearance.

This thread was made to document the parts needed to perform a rear disc/5-lug swap using parts from the Ralliart as they are 100% compatible and there is ZERO doubt in their fitment. Parts are also easily sourced from various locations and don't need to be located overseas from non-USDM Mitsubishi vehicles.

Last edited by senate6268; Nov 29, 2009 at 08:30 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 09:50 AM

Ok, let me rephrase. I don't know if it will work. The Eclipse/Galant and Ralliart have different part #'s for their rear caliper. If the bolt hole distance on the calipers is different, then the caliper won't work.

Most of the brake shoe hardware is the same, but the brake shoes themselves are different. The backing plate is also different. The Eclipse/Galant backing plate design hasn't changed in years. The Ralliart backing plate is a unique design. This is probably because the rear suspension design of the Eclipse/Galant is different from that of the Ralliart.

So I don't know if Eclipse/Galant parts will work. As far as Mitsu part #'s go, they don't match up - so in my opinion they won't work. Now that's not to say you couldn't use the rear caliper from an Eclipse/Galant and modify the backing plate or caliper mounting to get it to work. Same with the backing plate - it might fit with minor modification. E-brake cables are also slightly different. All these little differences have turned a bolt-on swap into alot of questions and maybes. Personally, I would rather perform the swap knowing that all the parts will fit and have a 100% stock-like feel and stock-like appearance.

This thread was made to document the parts needed to perform a rear disc/5-lug swap using parts from the Ralliart as they are 100% compatible and there is ZERO doubt in their fitment. Parts are also easily sourced from various locations and don't need to be located overseas from non-USDM Mitsubishi vehicles.

Ok. Below is the picture of the complete set up from which I got off of what I thought was an 04 Galant and turned out to be an 02. From the workshop manual the bolt on setup looks the same with the bolts shown. How does it look in your opinion? I'm located in Barbados. Galant in question is a 2002 Galant - Super Saloon.

Lancer 5-lug & Rear Disc Conversion Part List-getattachment.jpg

Lancer 5-lug & Rear Disc Conversion Part List-getattachment2.jpg

Last edited by tanabe; Dec 1, 2009 at 10:09 AM.
Old Dec 1, 2009, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Ok. Below is the picture of the complete set up from which I got off of what I thought was an 04 Galant and turned out to be an 02. From the workshop manual the bolt on setup looks the same with the bolts shown. How does it look in your opinion? I'm located in Barbados. Galant in question is a 2002 Galant - Super Saloon.

Attachment 144114

Attachment 144115
Those definitely will not work. The spindle that the hub assembly bolts onto is a part of the rear trailing arms themselves. This is where the suspension differences between the Galant/Eclipse and Ralliart differ entirely and cause most of the brake assemblies not to be compatible between the models.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 11:17 AM

Those definitely will not work. The spindle that the hub assembly bolts onto is a part of the rear trailing arms themselves. This is where the suspension differences between the Galant/Eclipse and Ralliart differ entirely and cause most of the brake assemblies not to be compatible between the models.
Thanks again guy. I just want to confirm. I guess I have to settle for the 5 hoel conversion. lol
Old Feb 24, 2010, 08:11 PM
Account Disabled

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
did we ever come to a conclusion on this rear caliper thing?

looking to upgrade my outlander rear drums to disc but hoping to get the evo rear discs on somehow..
Old Mar 31, 2010, 12:01 AM

Sorry to bump this but is it possible to keep the 4 bolt pattern but do everything else?
Old Mar 31, 2010, 01:33 AM

Originally Posted by riceranger
Sorry to bump this but is it possible to keep the 4 bolt pattern but do everything else?
Whoops, never mind should have read more closely!
Old Jul 14, 2010, 04:47 PM

Ok im really really sorry for withholding information but ive been running this setup for almost most a year now. I have 1g diamante twin calibers with galant vr4 rotors in the front and 3g mirage rotors, calibers and brake bracket in the back. I installed a 3000gt proportioning vavle to add more power to the brakes and everything works out perfect. The car stops way better with this brake setup than factory, enough to throw the balance of the front wheels.

Quick Reply: Lancer 5-lug & Rear Disc Conversion Part List