Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

What causes noise on turning

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2009, 06:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What causes noise on turning

Hello,

Ive never seen a car have more problems but I now have a new problem, maybe someone knows what causes it.

When turning sharply to the left there is a grinding/rubbing type sound coming from the left front tire. This only happens when turning sharply to the left and if a right turn no problem exists. Does anyone know what can cause this problem?

Justin
Old Jun 8, 2009, 06:35 PM
Evolving Member

What size rims and tires are you running?

My car will make a rubbing noise only when i turn to the right really hard, when i took my wheels off to rotate the tires you could see where it is rubbing on the inner wheel well. The reason i can only hear it on 1 side is cuz the other side is already grinded out enough from left hand turns to not do it anymore. i am running 17x7.5
Old Jun 8, 2009, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Hello Oz,

I still have the stock 15" wheels on the car as just bought the car about a month ago and am planning to start customizing it if ever can get the thing to go a week without breaking down. The old owner didnt take very good care of it at all and so far in last one month have put about 1400 dollars on it allready and now this noise meens something else needs replaced.

Anyway, It only make the sound when making a hard left, like a you turn on small street, if doing the same thing to the right the problem doesnt happen. Could breaks cause this? I ask as sometimes there is a slight sqeek when breaking.

Justin
Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would start by lifting up your car and pulling that left tire off. Did this just start happening then? Or do you think maybe you didnt notice it until now?? Is the sound sensative to speed?? Meaning is it slightly higher pitch the faster your going? After lifting the vehicle and before pulling off the wheel grab it and try to wiggle it, if there is play then most likely your wheel bearing is bad, Pull that wheel off and check the inside of the rim real good and check your ball joints for play and any rubbing marks all around there.

Last edited by 03lances; Jun 8, 2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: dd
Old Jun 8, 2009, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by White_KnightOZ
What size rims and tires are you running?

My car will make a rubbing noise only when i turn to the right really hard, when i took my wheels off to rotate the tires you could see where it is rubbing on the inner wheel well. The reason i can only hear it on 1 side is cuz the other side is already grinded out enough from left hand turns to not do it anymore. i am running 17x7.5
Justin - read above and answer his question... It's not your wheel bearing, it's your tire rubbing against the inside of the wheel well... I have the same problem and it's because my car's lowered and my tires are probably just a bit too big... I should be running 205 instead of 215...

Let us know what tires you're running and that could help diagnose the issue... but it is most likely your tire rubbing.

Don't give up on your car just yet - if the previous owner didn't take care of it, then obviously you're going to have these issues and have to deal with them. I've had my 03 since 05 and I'm lucky that it was practically brand new when I bought her - I've taken very good care of her since then, but things happen. Just remember, it's a car, things brake/wear out/need to be fixed, but that's life, so just deal with it.

Let us know the tire size you're running, and then we can help you out... Better to get advice from those who know, than to assume it's something it's not.

Best of luck
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:04 PM
Evolved Member

Well he says hes running the stock 15" wheels, I would think he would have mentioned if it was lowered but maybe not? That is the most likely thing somenthing either tire or if something is bent around the knuckle area could just barely be touching his rim or tire on the inside.
Old Jun 8, 2009, 09:19 PM
Evolved Member

Believe it or not I bought my 03 in 06 for $700!!!! Ya I needed alot of work but oh well right? I put a tranny in, body work, paint job, mirrors, front wheel bearings twice!!! (someone F*** up the first pair I put in). Only have $4000 total (with price of car) into it soon to be between 5500-6000 after I get all my turbo parts
Old Jun 9, 2009, 12:13 AM
Evolving Member

Hello Everyone,

Thanks for all the help and Ice Diva was correct.

I jacked the car up to listen to try to wiggle the wheel around like was advised, nothing happened so I took the wheel off. Once I had whhel off I realized the black plastic stuff in wheel well was loose to point it could rub tire so I examined it and saw where it had been rubbing tire. I could see any way to reconnect it the way it was so I got some big ole bush pruning sheers and cut the loose part off. After that went and rode around and had no more noise. Anyway, Ice Diva was right and I sure am happy it wasnt repaching beerings or anything else that would cost another hundreds of dollars at this point.

I havent given up on the car. I bought it for 4,900 last month, it is high milage with 96,000 miles. I just bought it as a spare car as I drive a minvan most days as it has room to take kids to school and etc. After buying it the same day the check engine light cxame on so had to change the front cat converter for 300bucks, few days later changed the water pump timming belt serpentine belt and alternator belt for 752 dollars. Today spent all day at tinting shop and had old dilapidated tint removed and replaced with 18% suntek carbon tint all around for 200 dollars. Also bought new trunk carpet and new sunvisors today as car came with no truck carpet and the sunvisors where missing the plastic covers that cover up the vanity mirrors.

My plan for car is to first get it in good running condition before focusing on the looks, its currently yellow. My plan is to put slotted rotors , axxis pads , steel brake lines, kyb shocks and stuts, eibach springs, rrm front and rear strut bars , magna flow catback exhaust and K&N typhoon air intake.

Once above is done will work on looks by adding a headlights, tail lights, evo style grill and possibly evo style wing. Then will change color to either magenta pink or fly green and add 17" momo coarse wheels. At that point will just have interior redone in white leather and replace factory speaker and head unit with aftermarket and add a amp, probally all Alpine.

Anyway, The above are my plans and hopefully will be done by this time next year or possibly sooner depending on finances.

Justin
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:09 AM
Evolving Member

Glad we could help! Car is going to be nice when you get it all done! Good luck with it all!

PS... Please don't paint the car pink! Haha, if you wanna be different paint it a nice bright orange!
Old Jun 9, 2009, 01:48 AM
Evolving Member

LOL Yeah pink would be kinda funny looking for a guy but wife and daughters would like it though. LOL When I lived in Philippines the men liked pink allot to point that if you went to mall in Cebu it looked like a see of pink due to all the young guys running around in pink clothing, it was a fad there then but not sure it still exist or not though.

I agree with you that orange would look good also or even that tennis ball green color.

To be honest I liked the yellow color when I first saw it but now I have it wish it was a diffrent color like black or something.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 02:27 AM
Evolving Member

sounds like the previous owner neglected on some required maintenance

good luck with the car
Old Jun 9, 2009, 03:47 AM
Evolving Member

Hello,

Yep you could say they neglected all upkeep, car even still had original timing belt at 96,000 miles.

Out of curiosity what parts should be change all togetrher at 100,000 miles?

I can think of plugs, wires, shocks , struts, oil and oil filter but surely Im overlooking somethings. If you guys know just let me know also as want to get maintance up to date and fix what needs fixed so no more problems.

Wasnt helped much that in trying to avoid high shop cost I ended up hiring some mechanic on craigslist who accomplished nothing and obviously didnt know what he was doing. Told me timing belt looked new and if it broke just as easy as throwing new one on, said the car only used two spark plugs and not 4 and didnt know how to adjust tention on alternator belt. Guy was a waste of money and ended up having to hire dealership at 100 bucks a hour shop cost to fix his work.

Justin
Old Jun 9, 2009, 04:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by justin.AZ
Wasnt helped much that in trying to avoid high shop cost I ended up hiring some mechanic on craigslist who accomplished nothing and obviously didnt know what he was doing. Told me timing belt looked new and if it broke just as easy as throwing new one on, said the car only used two spark plugs and not 4 and didnt know how to adjust tention on alternator belt. Guy was a waste of money and ended up having to hire dealership at 100 bucks a hour shop cost to fix his work.

Save that money and spend it on tools. DIY ftw
Old Jun 9, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

Lancer is a very simple car to wokr on, you will be able to attune to the different things to work on. Good luck with all of it, most of the guys have had this car for quite a while and can help with pretty much anything.
Old Jun 9, 2009, 09:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jehuty
Lancer is a very simple car to wokr on, you will be able to attune to the different things to work on. Good luck with all of it, most of the guys have had this car for quite a while and can help with pretty much anything.
/\ What he said /\

Quick Reply: What causes noise on turning