Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

KYB GR2's With dropzone lowering springs?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2009, 12:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KYB GR2's With dropzone lowering springs?

So I have used the search option and have learned some things here and still have questions.

I want to go with Upgraded shocks/struts and lowering springs because it is cheaper and I do not drive hard. I drive average and do not do any autocrossing or hard cornering. But from my research I have read that even with the KYB GR2 shocks and struts and lowering springs, the rear struts can still blow. So my questions are as follows.

1. What exactly happenes when a strut blows? Is it instant or just an overtime type deal?

2. Anyone use Dropzone lowering springs? They are supposed to lower the lancer 1.75 inches. They are ebay brand or something but if they are crappy quality I will go with the Eibach Pro kit instead. Or I read that Progress lowering springs lower the Lancer 1.8 inches, where can I buy these for cheap?

3. Is this setup difficult to install?

4. How long can I expect this setup to last with normal driving conditions?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions! I will keep searching for the time being.

Last edited by davidmitsusrock; Jun 26, 2009 at 01:12 AM.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is your Lancer your daily driver? If it is you may want to consider the Eibach springs. It's not as much of a drop but they ride nicer. I have the S. Techs on my ES and the cars ride is harsh. If there is any road construction I have to avoid it at all costs.

To answer 2 of your questions though. A strut goes over time. And expect about 5 hours doing all 4 corners if you've never swapped springs before.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:21 AM
Evolved Member

Do you run upgraded shocks/struts? If I Got just Eibach springs to lower the car like only 1 inch do I really still need the Kyb shocks/struts? Or can I just wait till they go out, then replace them.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:22 AM
Evolved Member

And yes the car is Daily but I don't mind ride harshness. If it looks good, im happy.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:26 AM
Evolved Member

I'm still running stock struts. I installed the S Techs at around 35K and now have almost 51K and struts are still good. Whenever the stock struts go I'll most likely be driving over to TireRack and order (if they dont have in stock) the KYBs and some Eibach springs.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:28 AM
Evolved Member

Well I may just do that then. When they do eventually blow will anything get damaged? Will it be like dangerous if Im driving on the highway or something? sorry, I just dont want to die lol. My car does have 98,000 miles on original shocks and struts though.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

So reallalisticly speaking I could pick a couple of KYB rear struts up for $150 and buy some springs and lower the car for about $400. I havnt heard anyone having any problems with the front struts.

http://www.tirerack.com/suspension/S...lar=&brand=all
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:33 AM
Evolved Member

When you blow a strut, if it's only one you probably wont notice at first. The car just bounces a lot. Ever been behind a car and the back wheel(s) are hopping like crazy when they go over a bump? Strut went.

With 100k, you may want to get new struts before a drop tho.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 01:43 AM
Evolved Member

Yea thats what I am thinking. I Just need to pick the right set of springs. I would like to find the shocks and struts cheaper then $400 as well if you know anywhere i can get them.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 07:21 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by davidmitsusrock
I want to go with Upgraded shocks/struts and lowering springs because it is cheaper and I do not drive hard. I drive average and do not do any autocrossing or hard cornering. But from my research I have read that even with the KYB GR2 shocks and struts and lowering springs, the rear struts can still blow. So my questions are as follows.

1. What exactly happenes when a strut blows? Is it instant or just an overtime type deal?

2. Anyone use Dropzone lowering springs? They are supposed to lower the lancer 1.75 inches. They are ebay brand or something but if they are crappy quality I will go with the Eibach Pro kit instead. Or I read that Progress lowering springs lower the Lancer 1.8 inches, where can I buy these for cheap?

3. Is this setup difficult to install?

4. How long can I expect this setup to last with normal driving conditions?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions! I will keep searching for the time being.
The GR2's are designed as an oem replacement and shouldn't be used with a lowering spring. They are not valved correctly for the drop in travel you'll have once the springs are installed. KYB will not warranty a GR2 that's been used with a lowering spring either.

Given the right conditions it can pop instantly or over time. Depends on the severity of the impact. Will probably ride a bit bouncy/rough as well. Really best to get a shock that matches the type of springs you're installing.
Old Jun 26, 2009, 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

I know that about the warranty info, But my only other option is coilovers right? We are talking $900+ there...doesn't make sence to spend that much on a daily driven economy car.
Old Jul 4, 2009, 10:40 PM
Evolved Member

Anyone have these?

http://stores.speedcorps.com/-strse-...ers/Detail.bok