Notices
Lancer Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension - Sponsored by The Tire Rack From suspension settings to new wheels and tires or brake upgrades... it's all covered here. Sponsored by: The Tire Rack

2003 Lancer ES coilover question

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2016, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Lancer ES coilover question

Hi all,
Im going to get Tein Coilovers for my 03 Lancer ES from CarID and it says it fits OZ and ES. I read somewhere that ES and OZ have different sizes of struts or springs on the back as far as i remember. So can someone who knows tell me if itll fit? I could get it from RRM where i can specify that i have an ES but the same coilovers cost 200 more at RRM.

Thank you in advance
Old Oct 13, 2016, 05:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im pretty sure the oz and the es arent different suspension wise. I read on another thread that it was mainly exterior and interior stuff that differed the two!
Old Oct 14, 2016, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by Pruetmic1
Im pretty sure the oz and the es arent different suspension wise. I read on another thread that it was mainly exterior and interior stuff that differed the two!
Thanks for your answer. I actually got the coilovers from tunersports.com . And you're right theres no difference . Their tech support is awesome, they answered this question in 10 minutes . If someone is thinking about these coilovers then ill definately recommend them. Theyre stiff enough but not too aggressive for a daily driver and theyre cheap especially if you buy them with pay pal credit you just pay 50 bucks a month.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 08:47 AM

Can you tell a difference in the handling, cause I have a 03 es and Im looking into coilovers and new tire set up?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 06:20 PM

Can you tell a difference in the handling, cause I have a 03 es and Im looking into coilovers and new tire set up?
Its really great. As I was saying its not too agressive but it eliminates most of the body roll and gives the steering wheel a lot more responsiveness. It actually makes the steering wheel feel a little heavier which for me is a great advantage. One small disadvantage these coilovers have is that they dont come with mounts so youll need a spring compressor to put your old or new mounts on the coilovers. For the tire/wheel setup I have OZ Superleggeras 17x7, got them used from craigslist, got new Yokohamas with them 205/45R17. It handles real great now. I dont think you'll have to roll your fenders but I did just in case. And I had to cut part of the plastic inner fender. It wasnt damaging the tires but was making an awful noise when turning.
One more thing about the coilovers which was kind of weird but they improved the ride quality.
Before buying these just know that you only can adjust the height. I personally didnt want to mess with rebound adjustments. We dont have that many options for coilovers but im sure there are some that offer more adjustability. Its really up to you.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:01 AM

All of that sounds awesome, like little to no disadvantages. I just want something that will help me hug the road on some of these, curvy, hilly indiana roads! So since you got those OZ Superleggeras, did you have to do a 5 lug conversion?
Old Oct 19, 2016, 10:07 AM

All of that sounds awesome, like little to no disadvantages. I just want something that will help me hug the road on some of these, curvy, hilly indiana roads! So since you got those OZ Superleggeras, did you have to do a 5 lug conversion?
Believe me my life is all about backroads at 2 am after i got my coilovers... lol. And i didnt have to convert to 5 lug they were 4x100.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:01 PM

lol doing some townie time trials! Do those yokohamas do pretty well, i was told bridgestone adrenaline line are really nice too
Old Oct 19, 2016, 03:17 PM

lol doing some townie time trials! Do those yokohamas do pretty well, i was told bridgestone adrenaline line are really nice too
They're doing exactly what i want them to (not squeal at every tiny corner @ 25mph like my skinny 185s did before) . I got those because i wanted tires with the highest traction rating ( AA ) and be affordable , 400 for the set. As for bridgestones you just gotta ask around. This is my first car and I dont have anything to compare these yokohamas to.