Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Phantom Grip LSD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2002, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Phantom Grip LSD

I couldn't find anywhere that this had been discussed. Anyway i contacted Phantom Grip late last week about an LSD and this was their reply:

> We would want/need a diff in house for fitment and development in order
> to make a unit.If we have a unit to fit already($299) if we have to
> make a custom unit($349)Turn around should take a couple days +
> shipping.Let us know if this is of interest and we will follow with
> shipping instructions when ready.Thank you for your interest in Phantom
> Grip

This should be an excellent LSD for the Lancer, especially those of us that are going TC. Sport Compact Car has a little blurb on how Phantom Grip's LSD works in the November issue in the Project 200SX 1.6 article (p 216). I am not able to send mine in at this time as my car is still having finishing touches done with the engine management. But if anyone else has a chance let us know how it turns out.
Old Nov 12, 2002, 08:48 PM
Evolved Member

That is an awesome price. I wondered if anyone had seen that. I'd want to see results as far as how much power it helps put down.
Old Nov 14, 2002, 11:29 AM

i would be interested as well, but i can't send in mine either, any volunteers?
Old Nov 14, 2002, 01:02 PM
Evolving Member

how is $349 possible when RRM (who's fair with price) is at 8 almost 900 dollars?
Old Nov 14, 2002, 01:33 PM
Evolved Member

Read the article. It talks about the different types of LSDs, and as such, this one may not have the same performance as RRMs, and that would explain the price difference. Also, if I'm reading it right, the RRM one is a complete differential replacement, whereas the Phantom Grip sounds like it is an OEM part augmenter, meaning that it modifies the part already on the car. That could explain the price difference..
Old Nov 14, 2002, 01:57 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts
I think the thing that tilted me in favor of a phantom grip was the fact that SCCA guys use them on their cars (can't remember which classes). THe phantom grip uses the oem differential, but makes it into a limited slip. THere are good articles on it in SCC. Why pay 1000 bucks for a Quaife (which are GREAT lsds) when you can get one for 300 that's still in the ball park. Especially if money is a concern, it's a good idea.

e in la
Old Nov 14, 2002, 02:02 PM
Evolved Member

Precisely what I was saying. I think that the RRM one replaces the whole housing, whereas this one basically modifies the OEM parts.
Old Nov 15, 2002, 09:51 PM

I kind of wondered the same about the RRM LSD. it does seem to be a full replacement, but whether it is a completely redesigned or rebuilt unit is still to be seen. i haven't had a chance to talk to RRM about their unit, but i assume it to be very good. there are many different types of LSDs out, some use fluid, locking spider gears, or clutches. all of which i am sure have different developmental costs. i have heard a lot of good things about phantom grip. this should be a low cost solution with no comprimise in performance, especially for most lancer owners. phantom grip wrote me again and told me that whenever i could send my diff would be great but if i could get someone else to do it sooner they would love to develop a LSD for the lancer.
Old Nov 23, 2002, 07:44 AM

i wish i could but my girl and I BOTH gotta get to work