Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

02-03 Manual Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old May 3, 2007, 06:38 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
02-03 Manual Transmission Fluid

This thread should be stickied so people don't read the other confusing thread.

You are welcome to contribute to this thread only if you can provide facts. We already have another thread with beleifs, opinion, theory and the works: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...ad.php?t=48700 .
This thread is about setting the record straight and making sure no one gets confused.

Facts:
  • The transmission takes 2.3 quarts. (do not overfill)
  • 75-85w gear oil is what the manufacturer recommends.

Many people want to change their tranny fluid, but are kind of afraid to do so. You don't need a lot of tools, you don't need a lot of knowedge. All you need are 2 sockets, a ratchet, some jack stands, a bucket for the used oil and 3 quarts of new Tranny lube (I used Royal Purple 75W90).

Instructions for Mannual Tranny and I don't know if it applies to Automatics.

What you need:

Here are the steps to change your tranny oil. Evey single step is in there (kind of dummy proof )

1. Jack the car

2. Put you stands under the car

3. Lower the jack just enough to let the car sit on the jack (make sure you've got a bump stop behind your rear wheels)

4. Locate the filler plug and remove it (front lower right of the engine compartement when looking at it from the front)

5. Locate the Drain plug but don't remove it yet. Just make sure you know where it is (beside the driver side axel)

6. Align a big bowl under the drain plug (that bowl needs to retain at least 2.3 liters)

7. Take out the drain plug

8. Let it drip for a while

9. Replace the drain plug

*Before you start pourring in the new trans fluid, make sure the car is leveled. You usually know when to stop pourring fluid when the filler plug starts dripping. If the car has the front wheels up and the rear wheels on the ground, the filler plug will start dripping later than it would have if the car was leveled and you'll end up with more than 2.3 quarts of fluid in the transmission.*

10 A. This step is for people using a bottle with a "long noze". If you're using Royal Purple, you can align the "long noze" in the filler plug, then move the bottle a bit to make the bottom of the bottle sit on the rad fan. Compress the bottle till empty, and do the same with all 3 bottles (stop at 2.3 quarts)

10 B. This step is for people with regualr caps on their bottles. Align your funnel in the filler plug and start pouring your new lube

11. Stop pourring the lube when you see the filler plug dripping

12. Replace filler plug bolt

13. Lower the car

14. Enjoy (if you drank while working on the car, make sure you're OK to drive before taking the wheel)

Edit:
Here is a picture of the page in the shop manual. If that's not the right info, then I don't know what is!!!

For a bigger image:
http://img474.imageshack.us/img474/2...nyfluidag2.gif

Last edited by blaze_125; Mar 4, 2009 at 07:15 AM.
Old May 3, 2007, 07:17 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good write up guy. I also used Royal Purple when I changed mine except I was worried about overfill so I put the car back on the ground and use a hand oil pump to pump the oil into the tranny. Really cheap like 6 bucks and all u do is stick one end of the hose in the filler hole and the other in the bottle then "pump it LOUDER pump it"
Old May 8, 2007, 07:15 PM
Evolving Member

good write up.
i think i'll do that this weekend since im goin to the drags at pittsburgh raceway.
btw, what would happen if one did overfill?
Old May 8, 2007, 08:34 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Elvis
good write up.
i think i'll do that this weekend since im goin to the drags at pittsburgh raceway.
btw, what would happen if one did overfill?
This
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=240301
Old May 9, 2007, 07:02 PM
Evolving Member

really!!! all that can happen from just over filling the tranny. HOLY CRAP!
Old May 10, 2007, 06:20 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Elvis
really!!! all that can happen from just over filling the tranny. HOLY CRAP!
When you overfill the transmission, the pressure inside gets higher than normal and it kills your seals. If you don't catch it in time, the tranny runs dry and kills everything else.

My problem started with a bad throw out bearing, I changed tranny fluid hoping it would help, overfilled it and messed up everything else in the tranny.
Old May 5, 2008, 12:39 PM
Evolving Member

I stumbled across 4 bottles of redline manual transmission fluid on dsmtrader for 25$ shipped. so i figured id do mine, old fluid looked fine even after 84k... but if it gives you piece of mind like it did for me, id say do it. its a 8-10 minute job and is very easy...
Old Oct 6, 2008, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just finished changing out my fluid. It was a very easy process. The hardest part is if you don't have a pump to pump it into the transmission. Its just like an oil change except the amount you put in. I couldn't find any GL-4 fluid anywhere. I'm trying out the GL-5 fluid. It would also be good if you can measure out the amount of fluid before you put it in just to be on the safe side. My Lancer seems to shift nicer and smoother. I do have one question. Is there a place where the shift cables attach to the transmission that needs lube? It looks like there is some kind of plug there for fluid.
Old Jan 11, 2009, 12:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Old thread I know. No there is no plug there. I think you're looking at the vent hole. Don't mess with it.
Old Mar 3, 2009, 10:01 PM

i'm just wondering if you can reach the drain plug with a socket extension + breaker bar. even though i've done diy under the car, it still feel creepy under it.
Old Mar 4, 2009, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by spyghost
i'm just wondering if you can reach the drain plug with a socket extension + breaker bar. even though i've done diy under the car, it still feel creepy under it.
If your car isn't lowered, you may not even need to jack it up. The drain plug is really easy to get to.
Old Mar 10, 2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by blaze_125
If your car isn't lowered, you may not even need to jack it up. The drain plug is really easy to get to.
i guess you are right. mine is stock height. i can't go under the car, but the drain plug is clearly visible and reachable from the front bumper - just enough for my breaker bar and 24mm socket. i'll post pics of the change... thanks for the idea...

Last edited by spyghost; Mar 10, 2009 at 07:09 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 01:48 PM

i got mine from the bumper... http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i.../sIMG_2106.jpg and http://i264.photobucket.com/albums/i.../sIMG_2107.jpg
Old Feb 1, 2010, 03:35 PM

What is the socket size of the filler and drain plugs?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 04:12 PM
JRR
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by klexen
What is the socket size of the filler and drain plugs?
i think the filler is a 17 but i do know for sure that the drain is a 24

josh

Quick Reply: 02-03 Manual Transmission Fluid