Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

CVT & SST, Whats the difference?

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2007, 09:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT & SST, Whats the difference?

Everyone always asks and wonders, what the hell can i do to my CVT? No one knows just yet because its "new tech." But what i want to ask now is:

What is the difference between the CVT offered on the GTS and the SST offered on the EvoX?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/article....rticle_id=5212

Road and Track states, "A standard 5-speed manual gearbox and a new 6-speed twin-clutch automatic with manual mode, codenamed SST, will be offered. The latter is similar to Volkswagen's DSG, meaning that it's essentially a manual transmission that has a seamless full automatic mode. In manual mode, up- and downshifts are performed sequentially via paddles behind the steering wheel, with each gear change performed faster than any human hand. An anonymous source inside the company claims that this new transmission will be better than VW's."

As i dont know WTF a DSG is, or how Twin-clutch differs.. this SST sounds to me exactly the same as a CVT. Does the SST have physical gears where as the CVT is electronic/pulley system? Maybe if we learn what this is and the differences we can put to rest some of the doubts everyone on here has been instilling upon the owners of the CVT. Regret is a killer , lets try to crush it by learning and picking peoples brains for knowledge!
Old May 23, 2007, 09:28 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That'd be tranny, not motor. Moving to correct forum...
Old May 23, 2007, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Ha, true. Go figure who'd ever thought the cvTRANSMISSION would have anything to do with the tranny....... its late, i blame it on lack of sleep.
Old May 24, 2007, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

There's a huge difference between the two transmissions. The CVT is essentially an Automatic transmission with no gears - it has a torque converter (not a clutch.) Instead of using a planetary gear system like a traditional auto it has a steel belt that continuously changes ratios via two adjustable spindles.

The SST, as Mitsu is calling it, is essentially just a normal manual transmission that is shifted electronically by the computer, much like the setups that Porsche or Ferrari offer.
Old May 24, 2007, 06:01 PM

The sst has a electrohydralic dual clutch like the Audi A3 and the VW Gti. The transmission switches gears faster than any person could. CVT's are a little complicated they could have a belt kind of like your mountain bike, or they might have ravigneaux gear sets. If you look up CVTs on howstuffworks.com it explains it pretty well.

if you ask a dealer about the difference they will tell you it is the same. most dealers don't know anything about cars.
Old May 24, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

A clutchless (electronic clutch), auto shifting manual?
Old May 26, 2007, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by gnnr
A clutchless (electronic clutch), auto shifting manual?
Yes.