Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

CVT Worries Me....

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2011, 08:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CVT Worries Me....

Hello Guys,

So I finally got the approval to get a Lancer which was a long month, can't believe it took that long. Originally I applied to get a 08' Lancer SE M/T. They sold it before my app was done and now they say they can get me a 09' GTS with CVT transmission, I originally was after a Manual Trans Lancer but realized the GTS comes with paddle shifters. I've read a little bit on the CVT and most people seem pretty negative about them. Should I be wary of this deal? are CVT transmission cars really as bad as people make them out to be? I love driving manual transmission, and figured hey maybe it won't be so bad if I can switch between auto and having the ability to chose gears when i feel like having a better drive. I'm just not sure now, i got till the AM to call off the deal and just wait for them to find me a proper manual transmission. I really dig the lancer look and will for sure be getting one, but should I be avoiding the CVT Lancers?

Not to sure about CVT
Manitoba, Canada
Old Mar 12, 2011, 12:20 AM

its not that its a bad transmission, its actually a really good transmission. i would give it a 9/10 for just overall of it. it just sucks if you want performance out of it. i have a CVT and it just saps so much low end power that it drives you crazy sometimes. it just makes the car feel really slow, even in sports mode if you floor the pedal from a start. you could probably run faster than the car could make it in 10-15 feet. it just dosent have any pickup which would be my main concern. after you get past about 30mph and ur in sports mode its all fine from there.

i've raced a MT lancer in sports mode from a 40 roll, me only having a SRI and him being stock. the first run was about dead even in sports. then the 2nd run i started in 2nd gear, pushed it to the rev limit and switched to D, which keeps the engine at the rev limit, and pulled about 10 feet ahead the 2nd run.

so if you can get past the lack of low end power, i say go for it. also if you plan to get an exhaust it might sound a little weird at times having no actual gears..just some humms sometimes. nothing letting off the gas and re-applying wont help.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 08:57 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mehga
Hello Guys,

So I finally got the approval to get a Lancer which was a long month, can't believe it took that long. Originally I applied to get a 08' Lancer SE M/T. They sold it before my app was done and now they say they can get me a 09' GTS with CVT transmission, I originally was after a Manual Trans Lancer but realized the GTS comes with paddle shifters. I've read a little bit on the CVT and most people seem pretty negative about them. Should I be wary of this deal? are CVT transmission cars really as bad as people make them out to be? I love driving manual transmission, and figured hey maybe it won't be so bad if I can switch between auto and having the ability to chose gears when i feel like having a better drive. I'm just not sure now, i got till the AM to call off the deal and just wait for them to find me a proper manual transmission. I really dig the lancer look and will for sure be getting one, but should I be avoiding the CVT Lancers?

Not to sure about CVT
Manitoba, Canada
CVT is a great transmission. Designed to be durable and perform well. People knock it for all the wrong reasons. Get a sprint booster and the driving experience with the CVT will be much improved. You will hardly need to use the manual shifting.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:08 AM
Evolving Member

I have the CVT in my Outlander Sport SE. It is a good transmission. It will ever be as filthy good as the SST twin clutch (best twin clutch made!) but it is a solid unit.

You can manually shift which allows you to climb into the MIVEC's power band faster, and when there is traffic or you just want to roll, slap it into D and be on your way. The paddle shifters are a fun way to drive around too. I like the option.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:30 AM

Hey thanks guys I was hopin people that drove a CVT car would get back to me. Makes things abit easier knowing there are people out there who aren't always bashing this transmission. Now I just gotta wait to see if the dealer was able to get the car haha, they said they were gonna be buying it from a dealer auction today.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:33 AM

Don't just buy it for the paddle shifters, lol. I have a CVT and I used to paddle shifters for 10 minutes after I bought it and the novelty wore off. I've also hit a paddle once or twice accidentally and confused myself. I wish I would have bought a manual GTS but I was in a hurry for a new car at the time.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:37 AM

Well the shifters helped me make up my mind a little bit, its a GTS so there's alot of options and nice things that come along with it, that the woman really likes it to. I just know that if i wanna **** around with the shifters than I can.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 09:39 AM

**** around like this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg_uA...eature=related, haha.
Old Mar 12, 2011, 02:33 PM

Well some good/bad news today regarding that 09' Lancer GTS w/CVT trans, they weren't able to buy it from auction as someone fricken paid out 19.5K for it, but thats alright, cause what they did for me is lower a 2010 GTS w/manual trans so it'll be 20K after deposit. Pretty damn good deal if i do say so myself seeing how the MSRP on the 10' GTS is 19.5+ (I believe). Gonna be sweeeeet!
Old Mar 14, 2011, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by Mehga
Well some good/bad news today regarding that 09' Lancer GTS w/CVT trans, they weren't able to buy it from auction as someone fricken paid out 19.5K for it, but thats alright, cause what they did for me is lower a 2010 GTS w/manual trans so it'll be 20K after deposit. Pretty damn good deal if i do say so myself seeing how the MSRP on the 10' GTS is 19.5+ (I believe). Gonna be sweeeeet!
That is a good deal on a good car. I'll pipe in as a 10' GTS w/CVT I bought it due to the fact that both me and GF drive the car and a manual just would not work. I am used to automatic cars with gears so I have a love/hate withthe CVT I tend never to drive in D unless when the car is warming up or cruising on the highway for a long distance. The 2.4l is by no means a power house and the CVT robs every bit it can take so "Tokyo Drift" style driving is out. But with a few small mods the car can be halfway decent and I must say it is the best looking car in it's class. So have fun and enjoy
Old Mar 23, 2011, 03:09 PM

If you want a manual car and got a CVT then of course you wont be happy. Same with someone who wants a CVT and got a manual.
Old Apr 13, 2011, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by jampy
That is a good deal on a good car. I'll pipe in as a 10' GTS w/CVT I bought it due to the fact that both me and GF drive the car and a manual just would not work. I am used to automatic cars with gears so I have a love/hate withthe CVT I tend never to drive in D unless when the car is warming up or cruising on the highway for a long distance. The 2.4l is by no means a power house and the CVT robs every bit it can take so "Tokyo Drift" style driving is out. But with a few small mods the car can be halfway decent and I must say it is the best looking car in it's class. So have fun and enjoy

Is that a good deal in Canada? I just bought a 2011 GTS with manual Trans for 17,183 out the door (after taxes and everthing). After rebates and all ofcourse. I drove the CVT and I couldn't stand it although the CVT in the Lancer is way better then the Nissans I test drove.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 07:37 AM

What are you refering to when you say "sprint booster"? Please elaborate. I have a 2011 CVT GTS and I'm interested in getting more performance. I'd appreciate your feedback bro. pce.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

You may have already bought the MT but just figured I would throw in my 2 cents about the CVT. First off, I have a 09 ES with the non bump-shifter auto tranny. Frankly I cant stand it, only because it doesn't have the shifting ability I don't like not being able to shift(personal preference). But I got a deal that I couldn't refuse on the car so I just hopped on it while I had the chance. Secondly, I have a good friend of mine who has a 09 MR with the CVT tranny. Don't get me wrong it is a good/ dependable tranny but my friend has put on a lot of bolt on's, power adders and such. Unfortunately with the CVT tranny it just doesn't have the capability to handle 350+ HP/TQ without serious modifications to the Transmission. I recall one night my friend and I had gone to the track and made a couple passes but on his 3rd pass his car shut off and went into "cool down" mode. If I remember correctly his car was on or around about 475-500 HP. He eventually wound up blowing up the transmission. Just advice for anyone who buys a CVT and expects to add on a lot of HP/TQ.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 09:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by GTSLancer11
What are you refering to when you say "sprint booster"? Please elaborate. I have a 2011 CVT GTS and I'm interested in getting more performance. I'd appreciate your feedback bro. pce.
Sprint Booster is a mod that many people seem to not understand fully. The nutshell idea of it is that this is advanced circuitry with the sole only job is to analyzing what your doing with the pedal and sending a throttle single that is more in line with what you really want. In theory no two throttle pushes would be the same.

What you get is probably one of the best mods for the CVT. The CVT is stupid. It never really understand what your trying to do. It constantly under estimates your throttle input, and when you keep pushing, it then over estimates, causing your RPM need to rev all the way up.

Simply put, it helps your find the sweet spot everytime. If you drive this car then you know its right around 2800RPM for nice balanced acceleration.

Make sense?

Quick Reply: CVT Worries Me....