Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

CVT Fluid change instructions

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CVT Fluid change instructions

Does anyone have instructions for changing the CVT fluid on an 08+ lancer es? I'm already at 120k and overdue for CVT fluid change. I've done a regular AT fluid change on a miata before. Has anyone done this already on the new lancer? Thanks.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 10:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by adtalmeda
Does anyone have instructions for changing the CVT fluid on an 08+ lancer es? I'm already at 120k and overdue for CVT fluid change. I've done a regular AT fluid change on a miata before. Has anyone done this already on the new lancer? Thanks.
I had it done in the dealership. both times. its a little bit of a special procedure. I will see if I can find a technical manual out there.
Old Mar 21, 2011, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Also very interested in this considering one shop wanted to charge me 200$ for it, dealership is prob way up there too. I'd like to avoid handing over that much cash if possible.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 04:44 PM

i just got back from NAPA where they told me i had to drop the tranny from the motor to change the filter!
Old Apr 5, 2011, 07:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Drain and fill and you will be fine.

Last edited by evo_soul; Apr 5, 2011 at 07:09 PM.
Old Apr 5, 2011, 09:42 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evo_soul
Drain and fill and you will be fine.
We probably only need like 5 or 6 of those though, right? From your other threads apparently the trans holds 6.3qts, and you can't really flush it so some will remain even when you drain. therefore I'm assuming 7 bottles isn't necessary.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 12:08 AM

did you just not change the filter? i was thinking of doing the same. and in a previous thread, you stated to use Eneos. but i see in youur pic, you got Redline. is one beter than the other?

Last edited by mattsgts; Apr 6, 2011 at 12:23 AM.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 07:04 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by mattsgts
did you just not change the filter? i was thinking of doing the same. and in a previous thread, you stated to use Eneos. but i see in youur pic, you got Redline. is one beter than the other?
My Beef is that ENEOS is not easy to get. Redline seems to be 10X easier for me to get. Both Redline and ENEOS offer CVT fluid for our cars.

I would recommend you go with ENEOS because should you have any ISSUE or problems. The dealership can not blame the fluid because of the simple fact that it meets OE spec and is a "Mitsubishi Chemical" Company.
Old Apr 6, 2011, 10:18 AM
Evolving Member

should you have any ISSUE or problems. The dealership can not blame the fluid because of the simple fact that it meets OE spec and is a "Mitsubishi Chemical" Company.
Again, we only need like 5 or 6 quarts right?

Also, maybe they wont blame you because of the fluid, but would the fact that you're not changing the filter give them reason to screw you over?
Old Apr 6, 2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by Panis
Again, we only need like 5 or 6 quarts right?

Also, maybe they wont blame you because of the fluid, but would the fact that you're not changing the filter give them reason to screw you over?
they could blame the weather on something that you did or didnt do on these cars. i told my dealership to "**** Off" a long time ago.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 01:11 PM
Evolving Member

get the eneos from ebay. im about to make an order on mine.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 08:53 PM

Just changed my CVT fluid for the first time at 187K miles. You need 6 quarts minimum. All the whining noise I was hearing disappeared and it now drives like it was 2008 again.
Attached Thumbnails CVT Fluid change instructions-photo0087.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
eman_226 (Apr 21, 2017)
Old Jan 17, 2015, 01:33 PM

nice! about to do this myself also.
Old Mar 2, 2015, 11:03 AM

I'm due for a transmission fluid change too. I'm looking at buying this cvt transmission fluid from amazon. Not sure yet. It's cheaper than the Redline cvt fluid.

ATP Automotive AT-215 CVT Transmission Fluid https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004A6LAN6..._-Wk9ub00B2NAB
Old Apr 9, 2015, 02:17 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My dealership used a vacuum pump to remove all old fluid including the lines and trans cooler. They said they just received the system from Mitsubishi a few months prior and they had a seminar/training demo along with video showing how the vacuum system clears trans of all fluid. For 1 hour shop fee + cost of the fluid it was worth it to me and I do my own repairs when possible. Brakes, radiator flush/fill, oil changes, etc I do but let dealer do the CVT fluid. The ECU setting has a feature for transmission fluid life or similar and needs to be updated when fluid is changed. Not mandatory to update ECU setting but recommended.
I get way better gas mileage now. Get an extra 30+ miles to a tank easy. Car had 58K miles on it. Just hit 60K now so gas mileage is definitely better, after many tanks of gas to average increase. Sound didn't change from trans. Still has slight whine at very low speed below 20 mph.

Quick Reply: CVT Fluid change instructions