Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

beef up bullet proof A cvt transmission

Search this Thread

Old Jun 10, 2011, 10:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beef up bullet proof A cvt transmission

anyone know if its possible to bullet proof or make A cvt stronger maybe like A stronger performance belt etc. I do alot of research and see alot of bullet proof built automatic trannys for drag racing turbo cars. And say if I buy the tranny cooler along with the cvt turbo kit would the tranny still break if I have the turbo around 12 or 14 pounds of boost i'm trying to get 240 hp id be happy with that honestly.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

That's rather off-topic but no, there is no way to bullet proof the CVT. No one makes a stronger belt for our CVT and even if they did taking apart your CVT and putting it back together isn't exactly easy.

The CVT has been shown to struggle at 7psi and 280+ hp, even with a cooler. That being said, running 12 psi or 240hp should give you a slightly faster car for about a week before the transmission grenades itself.
Old Jun 11, 2011, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by Panis
That's rather off-topic but no, there is no way to bullet proof the CVT. No one makes a stronger belt for our CVT and even if they did taking apart your CVT and putting it back together isn't exactly easy.

The CVT has been shown to struggle at 7psi and 280+ hp, even with a cooler. That being said, running 12 psi or 240hp should give you a slightly faster car for about a week before the transmission grenades itself.
so if a cvt can handle 12 psi for about a week what about 5 speed manual can the manual trannys last forever especially if you add A tranny cooler and A lsd torque converter and beef it up. if anything ill just get money together for A manual tranny swap project later on and enjoy my car how it is right now with the bolt ons and exterior and interior with weight reduction untill I have enough money and back up money to make my project go well etc. I also heard mitsu made A 6 speed manual gearbox is it possible to take out the 5 speed manual gearbox in the Aisen manual transmission and replace it with A 6 speed manual gearbox if so ill just buy the aisen manual transmission found in the 08 lancer es probably find one that was in A crash or a rebuilt one and build it to make it strong like add lsd converter etc.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 08:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
for the money are going to spend, you could buy a |Ralliart. CVT can not hold all that boost at 100% engagement.
Old Jun 12, 2011, 09:46 AM

Lightbulb possible to add 2 or 3 tranny coolers

Originally Posted by evo_soul
for the money are going to spend, you could buy a |Ralliart. CVT can not hold all that boost at 100% engagement.
is it possible to add more then one tranny cooler like atleast 3 or 2 so the cvt can stay really cool honestly that the only reason why the cvt cant stay alive with turbo is because of to much heat build up right?