Notices
Lancer Engine Tech Discuss specs/changes to the engine from cams to fully balanced and blueprinted engines!

Launching In A CVT?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:29 AM
Account Disabled

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Launching In A CVT?

just wondering if any of you guys who have a lot or similar knowledge about the CVT tranny knows about this. i have very few complaints about the CVT at all..now with an evo the turbo is prob out of the question but for a DD i will continue to mod the lancer. im sure everyoen with a CVT wishes the car could take off a little faster or something of the sort. my cousin has a 08 Civic ex like 148hp auto and it takes off a lot faster than the CVT does. so my question is.. is there anyway to launch a CVT or is it even possible for a CVT to take off any faster than the way it does now? or will it always be like that due to the belt? i know you can probably launch but god knows what kind of strain you may put on it if its not even good for a manual clutch.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:37 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have tried to launch with the CVT once letting off the brake around 4.5K for curiosity purposes... nothing special at all. I don't think it got off the line any faster than a normal take off. I don't trust the strength of our tranny enough to try again.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:51 AM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by EngRWW33
I have tried to launch with the CVT once letting off the brake around 4.5K for curiosity purposes... nothing special at all. I don't think it got off the line any faster than a normal take off. I don't trust the strength of our tranny enough to try again.
yeah same here..ive tried it once around 3-3.5 and got nothing..

im just hoping theres a way we can take off faster or that its even possible.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 10:56 AM
Evolved Member

brake gas 6K rpm let go off break
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:01 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Silver05Bullet
brake gas 6K rpm let go off break
Brake won't hold the car still at 6k rpm...
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:10 AM
Evolved Member

It will but you have to tap it a few times before you get that high up... you will feel the brake sink in farther...

Anyways, 6k is way to much for my nerves/cvt to handle... i love the cvt for traffic, long trips, and.... yeah...
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:15 AM
Former Sponsor

when I get my hands on the experimental CVT controller, *with a controller, I beleive launching can be done by holding back in the Gear down position, aka Minus. I think if my speculation is correct, it has been setup to drop the car into neutral when the car speed is 0 and in gear one manual mode.

If you do that with your car as is, with a controller, you will see the RPM needle dip as you pull back. There is room there for modification to the logics of the CVT. just waiting for the chance. Governor can also be disabled allowing for higher revs then 3 thousand RPM. although it may not be advisable to go beyond 5

Last edited by evo_soul; Sep 11, 2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

controller??
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:45 AM
Evolving Member

the talk about being able to take off at higher rpms by holding it in the minus is interesting.

but personally, i cant rev that high at all while in drive and holding the break. and in neutral u can only rev to about 4-4.5 rpms
Old Sep 11, 2008, 11:56 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by slaker138
the talk about being able to take off at higher rpms by holding it in the minus is interesting.

but personally, i cant rev that high at all while in drive and holding the break. and in neutral u can only rev to about 4-4.5 rpms
in the case of the minus position since the car is not in park or neutral, there is a chance that the logics in place to prevent high reving would not be present since the behaviour is characteristic in the CVT equipt cars not the manual.

So since the car would techinically be in drive, it should allow for higher revs.
in theory that is. There is alot of hacking that could be done to turn your CVT and ECU into a compliant zombie that only says yes
Old Sep 11, 2008, 12:49 PM
Evolving Member

With the GTS CVT in sports mode, if you hold the brake and rev, it only goes to ~2.3k rpm for me. Ive never revved it in neutral and dropped into drive to launch it, I cant imagine that would be good for it.

In my opinion the ideal modification would be for it to let you rev to 3.5k-4k rpm in gear with the brake held in, so you can launch it with the MIVEC already kicked in. Thats the problem with the CVT off the line, It doesnt start moving very well until 3-4k because thats when MIVEC kicks in. Also modifying the software to change the gear ratios to a quicker setting while in drive, or changing the "fixed" shift points while in sports mode would be nice.

Also, with the GTS CVT there is no "minus" or whatever, its just Drive, or Sport Mode.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 01:06 PM
Account Disabled

Originally Posted by Bawb3
With the GTS CVT in sports mode, if you hold the brake and rev, it only goes to ~2.3k rpm for me. Ive never revved it in neutral and dropped into drive to launch it, I cant imagine that would be good for it.

In my opinion the ideal modification would be for it to let you rev to 3.5k-4k rpm in gear with the brake held in, so you can launch it with the MIVEC already kicked in. Thats the problem with the CVT off the line, It doesnt start moving very well until 3-4k because thats when MIVEC kicks in. Also modifying the software to change the gear ratios to a quicker setting while in drive, or changing the "fixed" shift points while in sports mode would be nice.

Also, with the GTS CVT there is no "minus" or whatever, its just Drive, or Sport Mode.
i think by minus he means when you are in sports mode there is a + and a - by pulling it back would be minus.

but evosoul what is this controller you speak of?
Old Sep 11, 2008, 01:40 PM
Former Sponsor

there is a prototype by a crew in Japan. Its unknown if they will commercially release something, I beleive they are using it for racing applications, it wouldnt surprise me if they had help from Jatco the company that makes the transmission.

Its only a matter of time before someone unlocks it.
Old Sep 11, 2008, 02:02 PM

Same slowliness here if someone knows a mod for the CVT please but please tell us
Old Sep 11, 2008, 03:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by LuDa
i think by minus he means when you are in sports mode there is a + and a - by pulling it back would be minus.
Ah, I meant whatever it is that the ES and DE's have.. something like normal drive and overdrive? Not sure.

Its not even possible to rev passed 4.5k. Or passed 2.5k while holding the brake in gear, or were you revving it in neutral and dropping it into drive?

Last edited by Bawb3; Sep 11, 2008 at 03:43 PM.

Quick Reply: Launching In A CVT?