Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Short Shifter Install

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2002, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Short Shifter Install

Alright boys n gurls here's a detailed explanation on how to install the B&M shortshifter so you don't have to waste an hour and a half doin it...

1)Remove the two screws from the bottom of the big compartment of the center console
2)Pop center console off (connected by snaps at the front of the console)
3)Pop off small front piece under the glove compartment (connected all by clips)
4)Pop off small front piece under steering wheel (ther's one of those pop screw thingys u need to get out)
5)Behind the front pieces on both sides there is a pop screw thingy on each side -- push the middle to pop them out
6)Pull front center console out (the shifter should be exposed)

The rest of the install can be done with the instructions provided with the shifter -- they're pretty detailed...here are some tips though:

-The pivot cups were freakin hard for me to pop off...I spent like 30 mins on both of them...your best bet is to use a wrench and cover the cup with a tshirt and try to pop it off with the wrench
-Remember how the shifter spring sits on the shifter...took me a while to put it in right
-Use rediculous amounts of grease...I greased it up so much that when I put the cup back on a buncha grease flew everywhere cuz I used so much...that's definitely the way to go =)
-Grease the big pivot ball in the middle of the shifter...the instructions dont say to but its a good idea...I did it
-Get a non-metallic shift knob...the summer heat is a killer and you'll burn your hand on a hot sunny afternoon...I jes drive with a tshirt over my shift knob...ghetto eh?

I think that's about it...hope this makes all your installs easier then mines
Old Jan 11, 2003, 06:21 AM
Evolving Member

very useful but that kinda makes me not want to attempt this on my own.....im scared
Old Jan 11, 2003, 06:26 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Originally posted by agsmooth84
very useful but that kinda makes me not want to attempt this on my own.....im scared
It's not as hard as it sounds. Should take anywhere from 45-90 minutes if you know how to follow directions and turn a wrench.
Old Jan 11, 2003, 11:11 AM
Evolving Member

ye the following directions is the tricky part
Old Jan 13, 2003, 01:23 AM
Evolving Member

Did mine last Thursday... hardest part is separating the shifter ball from the socket... Use the kitchen counter or equivalent... Rest the socket on the edge, and apply firm pressure by pulling down on the shifter... When you hear the pop, look where the socket flies... and recover it...

I also did the bushings at the same time... Definately worth the extra time and the few $$'s on the install... Shifts now feel shorter, more precise, and there is a mechanical feel to them...
Old Jan 19, 2003, 10:22 AM

I also got the B&M short shifter.... it's easy for me to get 2nd gear scratches (car is modified) every time now and the shifting is much quicker... with no time wasted between gears.. Hardest part for me was getting the center console out.
Old Jan 19, 2003, 10:31 AM
Evolving Member

doesn't sound so bad, think i'll install myself when i get one, thanks for the info