Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

Strange grinding with throwout bearing. Need help !

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2015, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Strange grinding with throwout bearing. Need help !

I recently replaced my old stock throwout bearing (2003 Mitsubishi Lancer OZ Rally) with a new oem one. The bearing was bad and it pretty much fixed the main noise problem I had. The thing is, is that after I finished the new install a different grinding noise came up. I was told the noise would go away but after a week it didn't. I bought a clutch kit and decided that the throwout bearing i initially installed was defective.

Again I replaced the throwout bearing, replaced the clutch, pressure, and aligned everything. Test drove it and the grinding noise is still there. Im not sure whats going on but on the initial throwout bearing that I installed, it had some strange worn marks inside the retaining tube where the input shaft comes through. I know I put the newest throwout bearing on straight but why does it still make the same grinding sound. How can I get this taken care of? Any comment will help.

Everything on the car runs great, clutch bites good, no slips, no grinds, gas hits good but that grinding noise worries me. (grinding noise is most noticeable after a cold start driving below 45mph, the noise evens out and goes away after 10-15mins.) My cousin says its just the 'breaking in' of the new parts but Im second guessing him. We also did all the installs via ground/floor jack and engine jack, tranny was lowered out.

Refer to photos to see the wear marks.
Attached Thumbnails Strange grinding with throwout bearing. Need help !-20150608_193222.jpg   Strange grinding with throwout bearing. Need help !-20150608_193233.jpg   Strange grinding with throwout bearing. Need help !-20150608_193559.jpg   Strange grinding with throwout bearing. Need help !-20150608_193617.jpg  
Old Jun 11, 2015, 11:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you considered it being caused by a worn out input shaft bearing? If it was bad, you're definitely not the first person to have that issue.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 04:54 AM

I've consider it but the noise is a little bit different. From all the cases that I've experienced and read about, a bad input shaft bearing would make a consistent 'marble rolling' like sound. In this case the grinding sounds has an uneven pitch and goes away after some time. This is my first time experiencing this new noise so I very well could be some with the input shaft bears. Could the shaft be misaligned? Thus causing uneven spinning and creating the grind on the throwout bearing?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 05:11 AM
Evolved Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
A worn/bad input shaft bearing can cause a bit of shaft runout like you are experiencing (wear marks and noise). Then it disintegrates and you have shrapnel blasting the tranny/clutch innards.

Geez, once the tranny is out you've done the hard part, don't know why you didn't continue and disassemble the transmission to check the bearings. Just did that myself for the first time. Scope the 04-06 ralliart section, many posts and Cranswick has a tranny disassembly video that might help you.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 05:57 AM

I was troubleshooting the issue in a trial and error fashion. I initially thought it was just a bad throwout bearing . Thanks for the advice! I'll open up the tranny and see what I can do to it. I'll most likely post back up if any more questions arise.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:02 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
First of all, you're images are HUGE! normally that would be ok, but I'm in Europe right now, and the wifi in my hotel room is basically on par with dial up, so I only loaded the first image...

the wear on the release bearing(throw-out bearing)/slave cylinder I saw was very strange, since there should be zero contact/interaction between the release bearing and input shaft...it appears you may have some play in the input shaft.

can you post a picture of the inside of the bellhousing around the input shaft? it would beneficial to see what is causing the wear on the slave cylinder...surely there would be signs of damage on the transmission case, or input shaft, though the input shaft is made of a much harder metal, so perhaps not.

I'm assuming when you pulled the transmission off, you drained the fluid first...what did the fluid look like? how much was there? and were there signs of damage or leaks at the input shaft seal?
Old Jun 13, 2015, 05:13 AM

The tranny side of where the throwout bearing is attached has no wear, looks perfectly fine. I'm assuming that is is made of a much hard material, the wear only resulted in about 100 miles of driving too. I did drain the tranny fluid, it was almost a purple color a bit hazy. there was a good amount nearly 2 quarts.
Old Jun 14, 2015, 02:59 PM
Evolved Member

if you grab the input shaft, and wiggle it, does it have play?
Old Jun 14, 2015, 09:04 PM

It did not have play
Old Jun 15, 2015, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

something is contacting the bearing, unless the part is not correct, and mounts off center...