Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

First gear problem

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 07:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First gear problem

I have a Evo X but this is about my 2010 Lancer GTS which is my DD. Any help/opinions is appreciated

I am having a serious issue with my first gear here lately in my 2010 GTS. It goes into first without grinding or anything but when I let the clutch up to take off, the gear slams into neutral by itself. However, i have noticed that when i throw it in first before making a complete stop, it stays in first gear with no problem at all. The only other way to make it stay in first from a standstill is to have the clutch slightly pushed down rather than pushing it down all the way. Just wanted to get yalls opinions and I am very mechanically inclined even with transmissions.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 07:41 AM

First gear problem

I am having a serious issue with my first gear here lately in my 2010 GTS. It goes into first without grinding or anything but when I let the clutch up to take off, the gear slams into neutral by itself. However, i have noticed that when i throw it in first before making a complete stop, it stays in first gear with no problem at all. The only other way to make it stay in first from a standstill is to have the clutch slightly pushed down rather than pushing it down all the way. Just wanted to get yalls opinions and I am very mechanically inclined even with transmissions.

Last edited by ninjacoco; Aug 9, 2017 at 04:10 PM. Reason: Merged duplicate threads.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts
Could be a linkage issue but I doubt it. Sounds like the syncro slider and possibility first gear engagement dogs are worn. I would have somebody shift the car into first gear, then where the shift shaft goes into the tranny see if you can move it further into first gear by hand. If it's shifting into the detent then poping out yer screwed.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 08:52 AM

my brother took the shifter cables out and that looks fine. he manually tried to put it in first and he said it just won't go in all the way. it doesn't grind trying to go in though