EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community

EvolutionM - Mitsubishi Lancer and Lancer Evolution Community (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/)
-   Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-tranny-drivetrain-tech-59/)
-   -   F5m42 5 speed transmission swap (https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/lancer-tranny-drivetrain-tech/727578-f5m42-5-speed-transmission-swap.html)

mitsubishilover Apr 15, 2016 11:30 PM

F5m42 5 speed transmission swap

I was wondering if there was another model mitsubishi that had the same 5 speed manual transmission as the 2003 lancer oz rally I know the tranny is a f5m42 but I know some have different size bellhousing and different starter locations. I was hoping to find one to bolt right up or to only have minor modification to do so

3gturbo Apr 16, 2016 02:07 AM

Originally Posted by mitsubishilover (Post 11604076)
I was wondering if there was another model mitsubishi that had the same 5 speed manual transmission as the 2003 lancer oz rally I know the tranny is a f5m42 but I know some have different size bellhousing and different starter locations. I was hoping to find one to bolt right up or to only have minor modification to do so

What are you trying to do?

mitsubishilover Apr 16, 2016 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 3gturbo (Post 11604082)
What are you trying to do?

Trying to find a tranny that will go into a 2003 lancer oz rally because I'm having a hard time finding one that came out of a lancer

CrAnSwIcK Apr 16, 2016 11:08 AM

Find a gearbox and swap the bell housing...I don't know of anything else that uses the f5m42 and 4g94.

jimbo74 Apr 16, 2016 08:14 PM

just other lancers....

I actually just went through this.... got a rebuilt unit..... I have a thread on my tranny issues.... having just been there, and done that, I am quite versed on it.... I have removed and reinstalled my F5M42 twice now, in 2 weeks, and also had one apart, and ugh..... a long list......

I actually just logged 12 miles on my new build.....

Just to note, the different models have different gear ratios, so unless you get one from your model exactly, they are going to be different....

scroll down like 5 threads, I have this exact thread......

mitsubishilover Apr 16, 2016 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo74 (Post 11604315)
just other lancers....

I actually just went through this.... got a rebuilt unit..... I have a thread on my tranny issues.... having just been there, and done that, I am quite versed on it.... I have removed and reinstalled my F5M42 twice now, in 2 weeks, and also had one apart, and ugh..... a long list......

I actually just logged 12 miles on my new build.....

Just to note, the different models have different gear ratios, so unless you get one from your model exactly, they are going to be different....

scroll down like 5 threads, I have this exact thread......

So will a tranny from a 04-06 bolt on a 03 lancer . I having a hard time finding a 03 tranny . I might just tear into mine and try to fix it I've been told it's the shift fork that's bad . right now I can't shift into 3rd or 4th gear but I can put it into 3rd or 4th and take off in them

jimbo74 Apr 17, 2016 07:29 AM

an 04-06 tranny will bolt in --- but --- the slave setup is different, and it is the bellhousing of the trans that you must either change, or run with the 04-06 design... the 02-03 uses an internal slave design that is bolted to the bellhousing, the 04-06 uses an external slave, and a pivoting arm (like most vehicles)

what is it that you can't find about the tranny?

check out www.car-part.com that is how I found my tranny.....

also, check out the threads I have on here, I went through this same situation EXACTLY pretty much this week.....

Tranny has 16 miles on it as of right now...... still need to pull it in the garage in a little while and double check everything

3gturbo Apr 17, 2016 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by jimbo74 (Post 11604413)
an 04-06 tranny will bolt in --- but --- the slave setup is different, and it is the bellhousing of the trans that you must either change, or run with the 04-06 design... the 02-03 uses an internal slave design that is bolted to the bellhousing, the 04-06 uses an external slave, and a pivoting arm (like most vehicles)

also, check out the threads I have on here, I went through this same situation EXACTLY pretty much this week.....

Tranny has 16 miles on it as of right now...... still need to pull it in the garage in a little while and double check everything

07 eclipse has the same tranny with a better final gearing 4g69 in that car

mitsubishilover Apr 17, 2016 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by jimbo74 (Post 11604413)

Is the bellhousing on the 04 -06 bigger I've had people tell me that

mitsubishilover Apr 17, 2016 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 3gturbo (Post 11604481)
07 eclipse has the same tranny with a better final gearing 4g69 in that car

Would it drop right on or need some modifications

jimbo74 Apr 17, 2016 07:06 PM

Originally Posted by mitsubishilover (Post 11604485)
Would it drop right on or need some modifications

it is going to need at least the bellhousing from the 03

which means, the transmission will need to be split,taken apart, and put back together with a new housing

CrAnSwIcK Apr 18, 2016 08:06 AM

The 04-06 ES swap would be much easier...and I personally prefer an external slave cylinder.

mitsubishilover Apr 18, 2016 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK (Post 11604794)
The 04-06 ES swap would be much easier...and I personally prefer an external slave cylinder.

That's what it sounds like to me. So I should just have to swap bellhousing and it will bolt on?

CrAnSwIcK Apr 18, 2016 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by mitsubishilover (Post 11605015)
That's what it sounds like to me. So I should just have to swap bellhousing and it will bolt on?

No, if it was bolted to a 4g94 then you shouldn't need to swap anything...

jimbo74 Apr 18, 2016 11:58 PM

you can put an 04 tranny into an 03 rather easily.

if you are just going to throw an 04 tranny into an 03, then yes, pretty direct swap, but you will need to make sure you have the whole arm assembly, and a new clutch slave -- as that stuff isn't the same on the 03