Notices
Lancer Tranny/Drivetrain Tech Anything drivetrain related can be discussed here.

F5m42 5 speed transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2016, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F5m42 5 speed transmission swap

I was wondering if there was another model mitsubishi that had the same 5 speed manual transmission as the 2003 lancer oz rally I know the tranny is a f5m42 but I know some have different size bellhousing and different starter locations. I was hoping to find one to bolt right up or to only have minor modification to do so
Old Apr 16, 2016, 02:07 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by mitsubishilover
I was wondering if there was another model mitsubishi that had the same 5 speed manual transmission as the 2003 lancer oz rally I know the tranny is a f5m42 but I know some have different size bellhousing and different starter locations. I was hoping to find one to bolt right up or to only have minor modification to do so
What are you trying to do?
Old Apr 16, 2016, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
What are you trying to do?
Trying to find a tranny that will go into a 2003 lancer oz rally because I'm having a hard time finding one that came out of a lancer
Old Apr 16, 2016, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Find a gearbox and swap the bell housing...I don't know of anything else that uses the f5m42 and 4g94.
Old Apr 16, 2016, 08:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
just other lancers....

I actually just went through this.... got a rebuilt unit..... I have a thread on my tranny issues.... having just been there, and done that, I am quite versed on it.... I have removed and reinstalled my F5M42 twice now, in 2 weeks, and also had one apart, and ugh..... a long list......

I actually just logged 12 miles on my new build.....

Just to note, the different models have different gear ratios, so unless you get one from your model exactly, they are going to be different....

scroll down like 5 threads, I have this exact thread......
Old Apr 16, 2016, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by jimbo74
just other lancers....

I actually just went through this.... got a rebuilt unit..... I have a thread on my tranny issues.... having just been there, and done that, I am quite versed on it.... I have removed and reinstalled my F5M42 twice now, in 2 weeks, and also had one apart, and ugh..... a long list......

I actually just logged 12 miles on my new build.....

Just to note, the different models have different gear ratios, so unless you get one from your model exactly, they are going to be different....

scroll down like 5 threads, I have this exact thread......
So will a tranny from a 04-06 bolt on a 03 lancer . I having a hard time finding a 03 tranny . I might just tear into mine and try to fix it I've been told it's the shift fork that's bad . right now I can't shift into 3rd or 4th gear but I can put it into 3rd or 4th and take off in them
Old Apr 17, 2016, 07:29 AM
Evolving Member

an 04-06 tranny will bolt in --- but --- the slave setup is different, and it is the bellhousing of the trans that you must either change, or run with the 04-06 design... the 02-03 uses an internal slave design that is bolted to the bellhousing, the 04-06 uses an external slave, and a pivoting arm (like most vehicles)

what is it that you can't find about the tranny?

check out www.car-part.com that is how I found my tranny.....

also, check out the threads I have on here, I went through this same situation EXACTLY pretty much this week.....

Tranny has 16 miles on it as of right now...... still need to pull it in the garage in a little while and double check everything

Last edited by jimbo74; Apr 17, 2016 at 07:46 AM.
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
an 04-06 tranny will bolt in --- but --- the slave setup is different, and it is the bellhousing of the trans that you must either change, or run with the 04-06 design... the 02-03 uses an internal slave design that is bolted to the bellhousing, the 04-06 uses an external slave, and a pivoting arm (like most vehicles)

also, check out the threads I have on here, I went through this same situation EXACTLY pretty much this week.....

Tranny has 16 miles on it as of right now...... still need to pull it in the garage in a little while and double check everything

07 eclipse has the same tranny with a better final gearing 4g69 in that car
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:55 AM

Is the bellhousing on the 04 -06 bigger I've had people tell me that
Old Apr 17, 2016, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by 3gturbo
07 eclipse has the same tranny with a better final gearing 4g69 in that car
Would it drop right on or need some modifications
Old Apr 17, 2016, 07:06 PM
Evolving Member

Would it drop right on or need some modifications
it is going to need at least the bellhousing from the 03

which means, the transmission will need to be split,taken apart, and put back together with a new housing
Old Apr 18, 2016, 08:06 AM
Evolved Member

The 04-06 ES swap would be much easier...and I personally prefer an external slave cylinder.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by CrAnSwIcK
The 04-06 ES swap would be much easier...and I personally prefer an external slave cylinder.
That's what it sounds like to me. So I should just have to swap bellhousing and it will bolt on?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 04:40 PM
Evolved Member

That's what it sounds like to me. So I should just have to swap bellhousing and it will bolt on?
No, if it was bolted to a 4g94 then you shouldn't need to swap anything...
The following users liked this post:
mitsubishilover (Apr 19, 2016)
Old Apr 18, 2016, 11:58 PM
Evolving Member

you can put an 04 tranny into an 03 rather easily.

if you are just going to throw an 04 tranny into an 03, then yes, pretty direct swap, but you will need to make sure you have the whole arm assembly, and a new clutch slave -- as that stuff isn't the same on the 03
The following users liked this post:
mitsubishilover (Apr 19, 2016)

Quick Reply: F5m42 5 speed transmission swap