Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Opened fuel pump to check install then reinstall now wont start!!!!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel supply problem (could it be stock fpr?) need your help!

PLEASE help im in desperate need to get to work i cant get the damn car to start; from what my other post about my turbo install suggested it may be a fuel supply problem w/ my turbo so i took the fuel pump out to check it; only thing i changed was the little cresent shaped plastic piece was facing toward the wiring harness; i moved facing away; now it wont start; well i moved it back to facing the harness and now it STILL WONT START. WTF!!! please help me im in a drastic hurry! im about to have a damn heart attack from all this stress!

Last edited by Kelspar; Jul 1, 2005 at 03:20 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 10:37 AM
Evolving Member

BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP BUMP

Is there somethign i have to prime? please let me know!~
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

Did you connect all wires and hoses. Just letting you know because there is that single wire that is suppose to be attached to the pump.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Yes i did all connections are fine; pump is working fine. i disconnected the feed line and fuel spit out as i turned it; that tells me pump is fine; then disconnected fuel rail on battery side; and turned; fuel still pump out. then tried other side with same test (took stock fpr off) and fuel still came out. WTF is the deal? i am reseting ecu right now; going to reconnect battery soon and retry crank. any other ideas?

could the turbo fpr mess this up? i mean are there any lines i need to prime?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:14 AM
Evolved Member

Not sure if this will help. When I installed my fuel rail and had to disconnect the fuel pump and reconnect it, before I started m car, I had to leave it on accessory for about 2 minutes, the try and start it up. Try that, maybe that would work.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:15 AM
Evolved Member

you reset the ecu after disconnecting?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:16 AM
Evolving Member

fuel pump should prime by itself when you turn the key to ignition without turning the motor. just take a part everything over and put it back together until it starts. you're missing something somewhere. i had this problem once when we did a fp install on my buddy's car. took me 5 hours to figure out what was wrong. just pull it a part and rebuild it and make double tripley sure everything is FIRMLY connected it easy to assume something is connected and it just not be. it's gonna be something stupid like this and you're going to kick yourself when you figure it out. good luck.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:24 AM
Evolving Member

Ok well that sucked; the car started like it was going to stay on (this only happens sometimes like 2 outa 7 cranks) and then it like chokes it self to death.

What i dont get is that if i get fuel all the way through the fuel rail; what could be the problem?

Last edited by Kelspar; Jul 1, 2005 at 11:29 AM.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:39 AM
Evolving Member

did you do the install? or were you checkin' someone else's install on your car? if you just did it try puttin the stock fp back in. how is your fuel pressure? did you take a part the send-in unit? i'm not sure if it's the same as the evo but if you did take it a part again and put it back together(send-in unit). all you can do is keep turnin the car to get rid of any airbubbles that might be in the lines. but it sounds exactly like our problem 2 months ago. it ended up being one of the clips in the send in unit wasn't completely snapped together so part of the clip wasn't gettin' any juice...it was pumpin' fuel just like you say through the fuel rail, but it would die...just keep checkin' over and over. it's really the only thing you can do at this moment.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

I called rrm and he said it would be air bubbles too, but ive been turning it over for like 30 min now. and it will start for a few seconds and the runs great idle but eventually it chokes out and die. here are some pics of my plugs (which he told me to check too ) are they bad?
Attached Thumbnails Opened fuel pump to check install then reinstall now wont start!!!!-spark4.jpg  
Old Jul 1, 2005, 11:54 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by HiHeatEVO
it ended up being one of the clips in the send in unit wasn't completely snapped together so part of the clip wasn't gettin' any juice...

What clips?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

ok ive cranked it 30+ times and each time it may/may not start for a few seconds; idle fine then bog out; it immediatly dies when i try the throttle.......im about ready to stop the **** outta this car. na but really ive check everything; any way i can bypass the aftermaket fpr ? just to see if thats it.?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:12 PM
Evolving Member

There are clips(like electrical connector type) on the send-in unit for different things. i'm not sure what they're all for at the moment but i know one of them wasn't connected completely and his car did the exact same thing your car is doing. do you have the stock fuel pump to put back in to check the aftermarket one? Hard to tell from that pic about your spark plugs. They look ok from what i can see. like i said we were working on an evo so i'm not sure if your fp configuration is that same. i think it might be so just keep pluggin away...you'll figure it out...then kick yourself.
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:13 PM
Evolving Member

it could be the fuel pressure regulator...do you have the stocker?

i doubt it's air bubbles at this point...unless you keep taking out the fuel pump and stuff during that 30 minutes.

so the car does idle? then dies when you touch the gas? or just idles for a second or two?
Old Jul 1, 2005, 12:20 PM
Evolved Member

good thing you did it before work

Quick Reply: Opened fuel pump to check install then reinstall now wont start!!!!