Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Strange rattling sound - Any help appreciated

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Strange rattling sound - Any help appreciated

Hey everyone... I could really use some help on this one on my 03 Lancer ES. I notice when my car is stopped that I can hear a rattling sound from inside with the windows up coming from the front of the car. I can hear it from outside too if I listen but I cant pinpoint where its coming from under the hood.

I don't notice it when im driving but if i come to a stop... about 3 seconds after the stop itll start to rattle a bit. When listening from outside the car under the hood it almost sounds like a belt but they have all been replaced like 2 weeks ago and theyre fine. I have an Auto tranny... It does this in any gear but not as much when in neutral.

One thing I did notice... when I am stopped with my foot on the break... as soon as I release the break the car seems to pull forward a little more than it should like its still getting some slight power to the wheels. Could this possibly have anything to do with the rattling? I was thinking maybe somehow the transmission is still giving some power to the wheels and when im braking the rattling is produced from that... I really am not sure though.

Please any help is greatly needed and appreciated!!!
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:12 PM
Evolved Member

i have pretty much similar situation with mine..... and a stealership said that is normal so i just stopped worrying abou it.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:38 PM

weird...

thats bizarre they said that because it definitely shouldnt make that sound when running. id love to know exactly what happened/ whats occuring.

hopefully someone else on here can shed some light on the situation from know-how or past experience.
Old Jan 10, 2006, 10:43 PM
TEJ
Evolving Member

I have a similar rattling noise but it only seems to happen when I am stopped and in drive. In park and any other gear I dont hear the noise, its just some sort of rattling noise.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 12:51 PM
Evolving Member

[QUOTE]I have an Auto tranny... It does this in any gear but not as much when in neutral.
[QUOTE]
I believe there is a recall on the transmission's throwout bearing, not for sure I also don't know if this is affected towards and auto or not, but I would check that out.
Old Jan 17, 2006, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

i have a ticking sound under my hood. i hear it when i come to a stop or idel. once i turn my steeling wheel it goes away. even when im outside i hear it under my hood. as soon as i push down on my hood it stops. so im sure something is hitting it. the only thing i have that would stick up is a CAI. i dont really know what it is, so i just turn up the music :-)
Old Jan 28, 2006, 09:22 PM
Evolving Member

I have the same problem lmao, I talked to a friend of mine and he asked his dad who is a mechanic and he said it might be a belt squeek.