Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Help with FUEL LOSS

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2006, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help with FUEL LOSS

hey everyone!

so here's my question;

I have a 2003 ES Auto nothing more than a K&N filter on it. YET i've noticed that my miles per gallon has gone down?! i know they way you drive is a big factor on how much you stretch your fuel but damn! lately i feel like everyday my fuel gauge get's lower by a 1/4 tank! SO WHAT FACTORS CAUSE BAD FUEL EFFICIENCY? Old spark plugs? dirty fuel intake system? needs new oil change? you know what i'm talking about, stuff like that? My driving hasn't changed so i don't understand why my car is using up so much gas

any and all help would be much appreciated! thanks,

~Ozzie~
Old Apr 15, 2006, 01:26 AM

Air filter
spark plugs
type of gas

smell the fumes from coming the exhaust, does it smell like gas? if so how strong? if its strong it probably means the gas isnt being burnt properly
Old Apr 15, 2006, 01:28 AM

im on this same quest too. Did you reset your ECU after the K&N install. I didnt until tonight and so im testing if that helped. Ill let you know the outcome. But there are many factors. You might need a tune.
Old Apr 16, 2006, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by jdwebmaster
im on this same quest too. Did you reset your ECU after the K&N install. I didnt until tonight and so im testing if that helped. Ill let you know the outcome. But there are many factors. You might need a tune.
No i didn't? how do you do that?!? lol i should probably clean up the K&N filter then reset the ECU. And when you say i might need a tune, do you mean a tune up? or something else?
thanks, and yeah let me know how it turns out.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 01:37 AM

just diconnect your negitive battery cable and let the car sit for about 10-15 minutes and then reconnect. When you start the car it will jump the RPM up to about 3 and then drop. for about 10 mins the cars idle will act funny but after that everything should be fine. I allready notice a difference in how the car is responding and the shift point are cleaner. When i said tune i did mean a tune up... i need to take mine into get the 30k service done, but since i live in cali and it doesnt void your warrenty if you dont do it i just might do it on my own time.(they charge too much out here for a 30k checkup). Hope this works for you and ill let you know about how my MPG is doing after i go through my first tank like this.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 08:17 AM
Evolved Member

I notice you have a '03 like me...How many miles??? I just hit over 60k over the weekend and I know that a tranny flush would play an important role in increasing fule economy in my auto tranny OZ.
Old Apr 17, 2006, 08:23 AM

Im An Advisor At A Honda Dealership. We Get This All The Time. Things Include:

Spark Plugs
Dirty Air Filter
Fuel Filter Clogged?? .. If External
Tire Prssures...have U Checked Them Lately??
Vehicle Load.. More People Or Cargo In The Car??
Heavy Foot??
Alot Of Stop An Go Traffic??
High Freeway Speeds Will Also Decrease Fuel Milage
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by jdwebmaster
just diconnect your negitive battery cable and let the car sit for about 10-15 minutes and then reconnect. When you start the car it will jump the RPM up to about 3 and then drop. for about 10 mins the cars idle will act funny but after that everything should be fine. I allready notice a difference in how the car is responding and the shift point are cleaner. When i said tune i did mean a tune up... i need to take mine into get the 30k service done, but since i live in cali and it doesnt void your warrenty if you dont do it i just might do it on my own time.(they charge too much out here for a 30k checkup). Hope this works for you and ill let you know about how my MPG is doing after i go through my first tank like this.
kewl beans! i'll try it out this weekend and let you know how it goes, thanks!
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:54 PM

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
I notice you have a '03 like me...How many miles??? I just hit over 60k over the weekend and I know that a tranny flush would play an important role in increasing fule economy in my auto tranny OZ.
i got 50k on mine. hmmm tranny flush...snaps that's gonna be more money spent but worth it i'm sure hehe. nice OZ '03 by the way
Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by 1speednevo
Im An Advisor At A Honda Dealership. We Get This All The Time. Things Include:

Spark Plugs
Dirty Air Filter
Fuel Filter Clogged?? .. If External
Tire Prssures...have U Checked Them Lately??
Vehicle Load.. More People Or Cargo In The Car??
Heavy Foot??
Alot Of Stop An Go Traffic??
High Freeway Speeds Will Also Decrease Fuel Milage
oOo thanks! yeah this weekend depending on my check size i'm gonna change the spark plugs and clean up the K&N filter, check the tire pressures, fuel filter..hmm i'll have to check that out too. if it's clogged and external..cuz i'm not sure if mine is? hahaha, should i just replace it or clean it up? as for vehicle load it's only me and my school books and i think my driving style has been constant in fact i've laid of the heavy foot with crappy gas prices being the way they are...>.< and yeah there's always stop and go traffic in my are...damn. thanks though i'll have to check all this out this weekend.