Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Creaking noise from steering

Old Feb 5, 2007, 08:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Creaking noise from steering

just wanted to see if anyone else has came across this.

theres this creaking noise that seems to come from the front of the car when i turn the wheels. its most noticeable at low speeds like in a parking lot. or when i'm completely stopped and turn the wheel. sounds like a creaky old wooden door opening or something.

i'm pretty positive its not the wheels cuz it sound the same on different surfaces.
also havent looked underneathe the car cuz its been like 11 degrees round here.
the noise started right before fall, and has been,slowly, but progressively getting worse. any feed back or ideas as to what it could be would be great.
Thanks i'm goin to bed.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 09:44 AM
Evolved Member

Funny, there's a Galant in my apt complex making the same sound... and I laughed when I heard it too! Makes quite the interesting noise.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 09:47 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
check your power steering belt.
Old Feb 6, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by crypto
check your power steering belt.
As in if its loose or worn? is it not the same belt that everything else runs on? such as alt. and crank. i'll check that. djew think it could be the bushings and such on the tie rods and linkages and such could be worn.
btw the car only has 45000 miles, garage kept.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 03:52 PM
Evolving Member

Check your power steering fluid reservoire as well... my old hyundai accent would make a similar sound when the fluid had all leaked out of the system. I eventually had it patched so the fluid remained full and then it was fine.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 05:13 PM
Evolving Member

yeah checked the fluid today, its cool. i've yet to check the belt though.
thanks for the help so far fellas its appreciated. any other ideas.

Last edited by Elvis; Feb 7, 2007 at 05:16 PM.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:09 PM
Evolved Member

Its probably your end link bushings. You can replace those easy.
Old Feb 7, 2007, 08:15 PM

I am getting the same noise. Im in chicago right now so the temps are below zero every morning(rediculous) My best guess is the temp maybe the fluid is being affected by this because after a couple minutes of driving when my car warms up it goes away.
Old Feb 8, 2007, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Drewbell
I am getting the same noise. Im in chicago right now so the temps are below zero every morning(rediculous) My best guess is the temp maybe the fluid is being affected by this because after a couple minutes of driving when my car warms up it goes away.
yeah but dont overlook it. when the noise started for me it was only on occasion and when i first started the car. now its all the time. though it is freezin here it pittsburgh to.

the endlinks. those arent pressed in are they?
this weekend i'm gonna jack the car up and see if the noise persist with the suspension unloaded. you guys think this is a reasonable concept or would the geometry change to drastically to get the same results as on the ground. if so this is gonna be a biotch to diagnose.
Old Feb 10, 2007, 12:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Drewbell

dido here. i cant remember it when it was new but every winter i get that same noise. and its gone when the car gets warm. does yours do it all the time? Elvis
Old Feb 11, 2007, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Does your brake pedal pulse coming to a stop? My civic was doing the creaking noise and my pedal was pulsing while braking. As soon as I changed my brake rotors it fixed both problems
Old Feb 11, 2007, 06:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by lncrphish
dido here. i cant remember it when it was new but every winter i get that same noise. and its gone when the car gets warm. does yours do it all the time? Elvis
yeah man all the time. i just hear it when i'm going real slow like pulling into a parking spot. or backing out of one. if i just turn the wheel when the car is not even moving it creak. not like crazy but a good bit. ya know enough to be concerned.
Old Feb 11, 2007, 06:21 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by 03lances
Does your brake pedal pulse coming to a stop? My civic was doing the creaking noise and my pedal was pulsing while braking. As soon as I changed my brake rotors it fixed both problems
no, not at all. i upgraded the brakes [with the mods listed below] over the summer and havent had a problem. that break setup, fyi, is incredible. the car stops SO much better than stock.

it is puzzling though. i never gotta it up on jacks to look at it this weekend. i just got home as a matter a fact. supposed to get a big snow storm soon to, so i dont know when i'm gonna get to it. plus my inspections due. so maybe i'll just have them look then.
still rather fix it my self ya know. shops round here kill you for cost of labor.
Old Feb 12, 2007, 05:34 PM
Evolving Member

so i jacked her up today. the belt does have some small cracks so i'm gonna go ahead and change that. also the tie rod bushing look a lil worn also.

once the repairs are finished, if that solves the problem i'll post accordingly, for others future referencing.
Old Feb 19, 2007, 12:48 PM
Evolved Member

please do, mine creaks like no other when it is REALLY cold, once it's warmed up its fine though. And only stopped and very low speed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Creaking noise from steering