Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

burning smell after CAI install

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2007, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burning smell after CAI install

ok guys i have a question........while installing an RRM cold air intake, i used alot of WD40 to remove the bolts holding the intake box to the MAS adapter........and while driving to get the ECU adapted to the intake, i noticed a burning smell. I came home and i opened up the hood and there was a little smoke. Do you think it could be from the WD40 that had dripped onto the transmission??? i couldn't place where the smoke was originating from. Also, one of the radiator hoses is against the intake pipe. Is this dangerous? would it cause any problems like melting of the hose or anything? maybe the cause of that burning smell????. I'm going to let my car sit for a while and drive it around and see if it burns up again. I dont think i messed anything up in the install as this is my first time doing it, but still.... i am also installing a piggy back tomorrow morning but i want to make sure everything is ok with my car first.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 05:55 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
Probably just oil burning off.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 07:47 PM
Evolved Member

Most likely just the oil burning off. There shouldn't be anything wrong with the intake pipe touching a radiator hose. The pipe doesn't get that hot. But, if you want piece of mind, just try moving the pipe a little and retightening the clamps to make it so the pipe isn't touching the hose. Good luck with the piggy install.
Old Mar 3, 2007, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

ok, so i drove it around a little more tonight, during normal driving i was cool.............nothing wrong, but when i punched it a little......almost redlining it, that's what i started smelling the burning again. I dont know, the only thing that popped in my head is too much air going in for the fuel and the ECU didn't compensate for it so it's running lean, but the idea of just an intake able to run an engine lean is ludicrious.........so i'm open for suggestions. SHould i not punch it no more and drive sane?? lol
Old Mar 4, 2007, 01:50 AM
Evolving Member

I have an RRM CAI too. I did notice a strange smell for the first few days after the install, but that was just the filter. I never noticed any smoke or burning. I used a bit of grease to get those screws loose. Little bastards are tough to remove haha. I wouldn't worry about the pipe getting too hot. It's powder coated etc. I wouldn't think that a CAI would cause the engine to run lean. I haven't had any trouble with my CAI thusfar...