Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Car Stutters during take off, almost no power... picks up when u floor it.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2007, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
idiot me, the boots on the bottom of the coils come off... ROFL

I replaced those - so far so good

Picked up a 2008 GTS as well
Old May 17, 2008, 10:54 PM
Evolving Member

this car had the worst problems with cylinder 2 misfiring, it was always the ignition coil...

I replaced it 3 times in the 4 years I had that car.
Old May 31, 2008, 09:18 PM

does anyone know what wrong or how to fix this??? my car has been stuttering and when i take off and drive its has no power. if i step in the gas more it stutters more until it gets the gas just right. ive had this problem firs so i changed the sparkplugs and wires, it went away but it was not getting the gears sometimes it did not get the changes. then it got worse and my father changed the engine mounts and well good thing we changed them cause they were already worn out but the engine kept changing and driving it felt really bad. then i took it to check for the engine light and it said that my sparkplugs misfired, and i needed to change my output sensor from the transmission, and front 02 sensor..

after i did this the car was getting all of the gears perfectly but i still had the stuttering but it stopped when i changed the 02 sensor. it was great for a month but it started stuttering again and it was really slow i took it back to get the light checked and it said it was the 02 sensor and i had a "catalyst warm up"
i went to get another 02 sensor and there was no change. then i went to change the catalyst converter and nothing. im pretty fed up cause ive been waisting so much money in this car and i dont know what else to do and i need to fix it.

so you guys have any ideas??
Old Jun 10, 2008, 02:01 PM

Replace the boots that attach to the bottom of the coils and/or the coils themselves.
Old Jun 13, 2008, 02:54 AM

solution summary?

hey all-

mine '03 automatics starting to do this now. which is great cause i just had it at my mechanic saying that he found nothing wrong...

so when I go back, what do I need to tell him to replace/check out?

O2 sensor?
boots on coils?
spark plugs? wires?
CAS?

someone either reply back or pm me a solution summary so I don't have to replace all of the things brought up to get the answer.

Thanks!
Old Jun 14, 2008, 04:35 PM
Evolving Member

hey, my car is auto, at about 33k. same problems... stuttering when you step on it, until you can get the gas just right and she's happy. Recently started stuttering at full speed on highway the other day.

How do you know if your coils are bad?

Replace the two wires? Seems like two wires wouldn't make that much of a diff for spark, but I'll look into it.

I doubt a car@ 33k could need a new o2 sensor (as a side note, you think my Tacoma @111000 needs a new o2?)

the plugs maybe have 12k miles on them. ngk's
Old Mar 17, 2012, 09:07 PM

dam sorry to revive this from the grave but

my cars doing the exact same thing
as soon as i hit the gas it would sputter and the horrible sound like it was dying and weak from my exhaust would come out.

changed sparks coils even temp sensor
aswell as 02 add to that a new fan aswell
and the fan control module

after all that it was doing alot alot better
but after a month it came back today

im not really sure what it could be now.
maybe a dirty fuel filter?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 03:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by AREAL7
does anyone know what wrong or how to fix this??? my car has been stuttering and when i take off and drive its has no power. if i step in the gas more it stutters more until it gets the gas just right. ive had this problem firs so i changed the sparkplugs and wires, it went away but it was not getting the gears sometimes it did not get the changes. then it got worse and my father changed the engine mounts and well good thing we changed them cause they were already worn out but the engine kept changing and driving it felt really bad. then i took it to check for the engine light and it said that my sparkplugs misfired, and i needed to change my output sensor from the transmission, and front 02 sensor..

after i did this the car was getting all of the gears perfectly but i still had the stuttering but it stopped when i changed the 02 sensor. it was great for a month but it started stuttering again and it was really slow i took it back to get the light checked and it said it was the 02 sensor and i had a "catalyst warm up"
i went to get another 02 sensor and there was no change. then i went to change the catalyst converter and nothing. im pretty fed up cause ive been waisting so much money in this car and i dont know what else to do and i need to fix it.

so you guys have any ideas??
what you mean that you changed the catalyst? do you mean the catalytic converter under the car? if the code you got was p0420, then that is referring to your header. your stock header has a pre-cat built in to it. Also known as warm-up catalyst. an OEM header is fairly expensive, you're better off going to a performance one and eliminating that pre-cat all together. i have a RRM header i plan on getting rid of. PM me if interested or if you have any other questions.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 05:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 02modlanceroz
what you mean that you changed the catalyst? do you mean the catalytic converter under the car? if the code you got was p0420, then that is referring to your header. your stock header has a pre-cat built in to it. Also known as warm-up catalyst. an OEM header is fairly expensive, you're better off going to a performance one and eliminating that pre-cat all together. i have a RRM header i plan on getting rid of. PM me if interested or if you have any other questions.
Lol guessing you didnt realize the quoted statement you responded to is 4 years old
Old Mar 19, 2012, 07:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
no i didn't lmao. just got home from work and didn't pay much attention to the date. haha. i felt bad because no one gave him answer. eh well, what you gonna do. that's what happens when ppl dig up a forum from the archives