Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

03 Lancer ES: Just Quit.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 Lancer ES: Just Quit.

Hello all,

Im new to this forum and I work on Isuzu's, and I know almost nothing about Mitsu's. My Dream car is an Evo. I own a 1989 Isuzu Trooper and a 03 Lancer ES.

Sunday evening my wife was driving it and came to a stop sign and it just died. No CEL, no Sputtering, nothing. Just died. I just replaced the alternator about 3 month's ago with no issue's. Im getting frustrated working on this car. First it was the noisey Brake pads, Then the Stereo took a dump, Tons of TSB stuff that the car had to cought up on, alternator. I bought it with 30K and now has 47K, I have owned the car 2 year's. Anyone else had an Issue with the Lancer Just up and Dying? I have a feeling its the Fuel pump.

I looked for a fuel filter in hopes that maybe the motor was just starved for fuel. Nope, as I found out a little more its in the tank with the Fuel Pump. Im a Little old school. and I really dont like working on the newer vehicle's. Im not an Idiot when it comes to cars I work on them for a living, I just dont know anything about the Lancer. Enough to get me by a little bit. I cant find a service manual for this car either. I could really use one.

My Next Question is: are remans for the Mitsu's worth the time and money? My Trooper hates reman anything. Ive changed 4 fuel pumps in it before going back to an OE from the Dealer. 5 years ago it was replaced. and is there an access door to get to the fuel pump? Please tell me there is. Fuel Pump, Relay, anything else? There is no green light on the battery, could this be an Issue with the car just dying?

Thanks, Robbie-- I like the car: Blue with 17" MSR 028's with205/40/17 Sumitomo HTRZ's full stereo, I was doing an Exhaust but now this issue came up..
Old Sep 26, 2007, 06:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i had my lancer for almost 4 yrs now and no problems yet, i think ur gonna spend more money fixing and replacing then the car it self if u still have problems sell it for part u would get ur money worth
Old Sep 26, 2007, 08:31 AM
Evolved Member

as for the fuel filter--it's attached to the fuel pump in the tank. it's like a little nylon sock over the pump. that probably is not your problem.

is there spark?

is there fuel? (is the tank empty? if it is not, when you pull a fuel line and try to crank the car does fuel come out?)

anything clogging the throttle body?

are you missing any vacuum lines? (specifically the one on the FPR that goes to the intake manifold.)
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by atilla
as for the fuel filter--it's attached to the fuel pump in the tank. it's like a little nylon sock over the pump. that probably is not your problem.

is there spark?

is there fuel? (is the tank empty? if it is not, when you pull a fuel line and try to crank the car does fuel come out?)

anything clogging the throttle body?

are you missing any vacuum lines? (specifically the one on the FPR that goes to the intake manifold.)

I am getting spark, its been to cold to check on everything yet. Checked the air filter and back from there nothing. There is a Full tank of gas. This thing has far less vacuum lines than my Trooper does. Ill check for worn and cracked one's. 47k I shouldnt be having this much problem with it. its been good since I had it up till 4 months ago....

BTW: Ive never had a fuel issue with who I get gas from. Could the Battery be bad enough to cause an Issue. There is supposed to be a green ball on the battery its not there, and still wasnt after a full charge. I hate to throw money at a dealer we have. They are a joke anyway and wont pop the hood for 90.00 an hour just to look at it. No Diagnostics or nothing 90.00 to pop the hood and look.

I also hate to throw money at a Shopping list for parts. Start basic and go from there i guess. Spark+ Fuel+ air it should run... Im mising one of those. Fuses or relays I should check, connections I need to know about. I like the car and dont want to get rid of it, but when I have to fix it more than I can afford. its gotta go. I owe about 4K on it. got it for 10K 2 years ago.

Robbie--
Old Sep 26, 2007, 09:55 AM
Evolved Member

First, I'd start with the "free" fixes to see what might be the problem. Start with taking the battery and alternator to like AutoZone and have them do a test. If they check out, then test whether you're getting fuel to the motor. Crack a line open at the fuel rail or check for fuel soaked plugs. You said you've got spark, so I'm going to bypass the bad coil option (though these tend to go bad out of the blue!).

No CELs? What exactly does the car do when trying to start it? Any clicks, any noises, anything? Do you hear the fuel pump prime?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 11:19 AM
Evolved Member

check to see whether fuel is being pumped to the system... disconnect a fuel line and stick it in a plastic bottle and try to crank the car--fuel should come out immediately.

i'm with slvroz in that i'm wondering if the car is making any funny noises.

also if you have a code scanner check the codes anyway--you may just have a pending code and it wasn't thrown enough for the code to trigger the MIL--especially if you've been unable to cycle the car on/off, if a code has to appear X times in Y cycles then you will not be actively throwing the code and the MIL will stay off.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Any other mods besides the ones listed? or just the rims, stereo, and pending exhaust?

BTW, the full stereo has got me thinking it's "power system" related now...what exactly have you done?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
Any other mods besides the ones listed? or just the rims, stereo, and pending exhaust?

BTW, the full stereo has got me thinking it's "power system" related now...what exactly have you done?
I tore this car apart looking for a bad ground. Nothing. No fuses blown. Took the back seat out, found the hatch for the fuel pump, put my hand on the Fuel pump, and primed it. Nothing. Coils are 100% working, plugs are clean. checked vaccum lines. Battery is fine. Lucky me Im a Snap On guy and bought a really really nice and expensive scan tool. Guess what it said: Fuel Pump: No signal. Called the dealer to find out if I had a Warranty: "Yes you do, if you can get the car here, we will figure out what is the problem". Said ok and it went to dealer. its all Free so Im covered.

-Wheels
-Stereo-8 inch AudioBahn with Audiobahn amp, ported box. Sony HeadUnit. Stock speakers. Need to change them anyway.
-Cracker Crumbs, this is it. Im looking for an exhaust, I did not like the MagnaFlow sound out of the 2.0L Lancer. Sounded really bad. Im thinking of going with my DynoMax like I always have. 2.25" from the cat back. Nice Chrome Tip. Either the UltraFlow series or a SuperTurbo. Dont know yet. I really dont mind the Sounds from most Imports with the GlassPack style muffler's and Ive only found 1 or 2 bolt on kits for the ES with an Auto. RRM has one kit i looked at.

I really like the car, and want to keep it so I can Mod it. Lowering Kit, exhaust, window tint, ect. but I dont want a "Cold Air", to me, those are a joke and you lose power, I had one on my Cavalier with the 2.2L EcoTec, total joke. K&N Filter actually worked better. In my opinion. Ima look around the forum to see what others have done.

Robbie--
Old Sep 26, 2007, 04:02 PM
Evolved Member

Well...either it a simple relay, wire to the pump, or the pump itself. Glad you got that tool too! That should've been your first stop, to scan.

Good luck!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 04:08 PM
Evolved Member

sounds like you found a solution, warranty! haha

I bought my car brand new in 03 with 7 miles on it. now have 40k and no issues at all... other then the ones ive caused from my mods. lol
Old Sep 26, 2007, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by SLVROZ_03
Well...either it a simple relay, wire to the pump, or the pump itself. Glad you got that tool too! That should've been your first stop, to scan.

Good luck!
Reason I didnt get that scanner sooner was because its so expensive, and eats betteries to take it away from an AC source. and didnt think about it till I passed AutoZombie and remebered that I had it. That scanner scares me. and my 8K between 2 Tool Suppliers, Snap On and Cornwell. Its been 100% accurate everytime. So we will find out what it is. Its free for me to have the dealer do it. Im not a lazy Mechanic but if the work doesnt have to be done by me and wont cost me a thing, why should I bother with it? lol. But I called the exhaust guys here in town, 225.00 for a cat back with muffler if I get it thru them. I can order what I need for under 50.00 muffler wise and have them bend new pipe and hang the muffler for under 120.00 Hmmm what should I go with lol...... I wish I came across this site sooner.

Robbie--
Old Sep 26, 2007, 04:23 PM
Evolved Member

by scan he meens... a Free diagnostic scan from almost anyone. Advanced auto parts, autozone, napa... Dealer charges because theirs is a bit involved. But get a free scan next time to simply get the code. then google the code and see what you can come up with. Ive done that to a few friends cars and fixed issues.
Old Sep 27, 2007, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by mitsuozboi
by scan he meens... a Free diagnostic scan from almost anyone. Advanced auto parts, autozone, napa... Dealer charges because theirs is a bit involved. But get a free scan next time to simply get the code. then google the code and see what you can come up with. Ive done that to a few friends cars and fixed issues.
I own that scanner from snap on. lol lucky me..
Old Oct 2, 2007, 04:42 PM

Update: Fuel Pump was really bad. Im not sure where she has been getting gas at, but wow, that pump was fried. The filter was absolutly gross. The Tech said it's normal for the filter's to look this way. Asked if its normal for the pumps to go out at 45K and he said anywhere from 30 to 100K they go bad. Normal I suppose. Still dont have my car back till later this week..... I do miss it, and we intend to put some money into it and make it better and more enjoyable to drive.

----> thanks for the help guys.

Robbie
Old Oct 5, 2007, 08:06 PM

Well bad news I suppose: Picked the car up and drove it for 20 min. Went to the rental car place to drop off the car they rented for us. Went to start the Blue Bomb and nope.. same thing as before. Wants to start, absolutly VERY little Fuel Pressure.

So they Replaced the Fuel Pump, and they found after the Pump that the car still wasnt running right, found an open circuit in the fuse box area. Over Nighted that. Drove the car for 20 min after having it away at the StealerShip for 12 days. Get it back and still not right, car drove awsome for the 20 min.

Now I found 2 Dents on the trunk lid and mark's where it looks like someone hit from the inside with like a ball peen hammer....... and then took dirty fingers covered in dirt on the already dirty trunk lid...nad "felt the marks"....Im Pissed now. I want it fixed.....and I want it by Monday to be fixed. This is crap they do this. I think the Tech Is a Moron anyway, he couldnt even tell me what Motor was in it.....

Robbie-- Never Trust a DealerShip, Ever. They Rip everyone a New wallet with 90.00 Per Hour Labor. yes 90 friggin bucks an hour.