Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

HELP QUICK!!! Starter wont engage!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2007, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question HELP QUICK!!! Starter wont engage!

ok here's what happened. my neighbor was driving in like 5th gear she said and pressed on the gas and nothing happened. then clutched, back into 5th and still nothing and she noticed the tach move high then heard a whirring noise.. then the car died and wouldn't start again. when i got there she tried to start it and all the started did was whirrrr... i haven't a clue about this lancer. the starter wont engage the flywheel and is just spinning.. to me thats a Bendix problem and not a flywheel problem. cant even say if its the timing chain cause the starter wont turn the engine over...

2002 Lancer ES. base model 5 speed.

any help would be greatly appreciated since she is now without a car and might end up driving my truck until it gets fixed...

Old Nov 16, 2007, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Flywheel bolts sheered off or backed out?
Old Nov 17, 2007, 11:03 AM
Evolved Member

At first it sounded like the clutch disk threw a spring, but then you said the car won't start...interesting. Well, the starter isn't hard to remove to see if in fact it's gone.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 02:39 PM

well i guess i have figured it out. its the timing belt. when you crank the engine the belts turn and the engine doesnt. so that tells me its the timing belt. and she is going to replace the water pump as well which is better for the long run. she boght it new and never had the timing belt replaced so i thinks its due now hehe,..

hmm only two replies on this. thanks folks...
Old Nov 17, 2007, 02:45 PM
Evolved Member

i doubt it has anything to do with the starter if you were driving the car in gear and the clutch slipped that badly....then died. sounds like a more serious problem to me.
Old Nov 18, 2007, 07:29 AM
Evolved Member

Ahhhh what???

Originally Posted by neighborslancer
well i guess i have figured it out. its the timing belt. when you crank the engine the belts turn and the engine doesnt. so that tells me its the timing belt. and she is going to replace the water pump as well which is better for the long run. she boght it new and never had the timing belt replaced so i thinks its due now hehe,..

hmm only two replies on this. thanks folks...
How the hell do the belts turn but not the engine?? What is turning the belts?? Sounds like that magic again.

Please, please, get another opinion before you do anything.