Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Visit to the Dealer proves Pointless - Answers Needed

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Visit to the Dealer proves Pointless - Answers Needed

So I just got back from the dealership after getting my 16,000 mile Service D done, which is oil change, load test batter, change air filter, top off fluids, test brakes, etc.
Not only are they overpriced because I paid $180 for that crap, which is expected because its a dealership. But I question as to whether or not they even do the work.

Anyway, here goes my rant.
The local dealership near me closed down, so I had to go to their new branch in a town about 30 minutes away, so that is already an inconvenience.
Now note all the below problems, even though I baby my car, it only has 16,000 miles, and I've been in there every 3,000 miles to get all the necessary services done.

So I went to the dealership with a list of problems today, hoping to get them fixed.

Problem 1:
A month ago I noticed that my driver side sun visor mirror was cracked, but I had never used it before. So I told my original dealership, so they ordered the part and sent it to the new dealership so I can get it fixed.
Dealer Response 1:
Fixed the cracked sun visor mirror no problem at no charge.

Problem 2:
Carbon Fiber trim inside the car is fading. Has multiple black dots that are clearly evident and is a cosmetic default due to the cheap, fake, carbon fiber look-a-like that they put into the Lancers.
Dealer Response 2:
At my original dealership I pointed out the problem, and they noticed it and replaced the carbon fiber in the center console. However, they did not replace the pieces on the door trims which was extremely bad. So I pointed the problem out to the new dealership today. At first the guy said he personally checked it and didn't notice anything wrong with it because the clear coat on the carbon fiber wasn't peeling or anything.
Now anyone could notice that there was a problem, so I took him to the car and pointed it out. He pretended he didn't notice it before and said he doesn't know whats wrong because the clearcoat didn't come off and the spots appear to be underneath. He said it would cost around $500-700 to fix because they would have to replace the whole door panel and not just the carbon fiber piece. So he said his manager wasn't there so I'd have to come back tomorrow, have him look at it and then probably the district manager would need to take a look at it. More excess and unneeded driving.

My question is, shouldn't they cover this cosmetic default no problem? And would they really have to replace the whole door panel?

Problem 3:
All the lug nuts on the tires are rusting. Along with the bolts on the exhaust tip.
Dealer Response 3:
My original dealership replaced all the rusted lugnuts and the exhaust tip last month, no questions asked.
But even after replacement, the lug nuts rusted once again. So I pointed out the problem to the new dealership. The guy tried telling me that since it is exposed metal it is expected to rust over time. And I was like, yeah, maybe it should rust over a 10 year period, not on a car that is less then a year old.
He tells me it isn't covered under warranty and the other dealership should have never replaced it anyway and he doesn't know why they did.

My question here is, shouldn't they replace the rusty lugnuts on a ****ing 2008 car? It's not like the car is 10 years old and I'm complaining about rust.

Problem 4:
I printed out the service bulletin about the no-start problem in which new relays had to be ordered. Now when I called the new dealership they told me over the phone that the service bulletin wasn't out yet so the problem couldn't be fixed.
Dealer Response 4:
Now when I went to the dealership today, I showed the guy the print out of the service bulletin about getting the new relays and told him how my car was cranking on start.
He asked if my check engine light was on...I said no, it wasn't. He said then the problem can't be fixed because the service bulletin says to fix the problem when the check engine light is on and returns a certain error code. So he's like, if the light goes on to have it come fixed.

I told him that I'm having the problem and why would the check engine light go on when its a problem with the starter and relays, not the engine.
He says if the problem keeps happening to come back and they'll have to examine the problem.

Do I have a right to be aggravated over all this? Should I call the Mitsubishi HQ and complain?

Not to mention, amongst all the above mentioned problems, I still have other ones, but just didn't want to deal with them right now because I'm too aggravated. There are dash rattles, door rattles, spots on the plastic speedometer piece, and audio cut out problems I have been having also.
Mitsubishi is a cheap company with terrible service. As this was the first car I ever purchased, I am extremely disappointed and will do a better job next time.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:42 PM
Evolved Member

It's a service bulletin, they are obligated to repair it regardless if the "problem" is there...

Cheers-
E
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:56 PM
Evolving Member

Hey man,
My 08 has had the ‘no start’ problem several times
I took it to my dealer for an oil change and for them to fix the problem (I also printed out the TSB)
When I got back, this is basically exactly what they said:
“well, I started your car a few times, it never happened to me – so you don’t have the problem”

I literally lost it – they had my car for 1 hour and they are tell ME, THE OWNER, that because it didn’t happen to them, there cant be a problem.
I told them straight up, that first of all, I’m insulted, and secondly, to say that because it didn’t happened to you means its fine is absolutely ridiculous and unprofessional.
Regardless of what I said, they said they wont fix anything – and FINNALY, he mentioned that the check engine light should be on in order for the fix to take place (god knows why he didn’t say that first)
Anyways – they didn’t fix it and told me to call head office to see what can be done.
But yea, I got aggravated over that…so you can too
Call Mitsubishi…see what they say (I haven’t called yet, I will very soon though)
Good Luck
Old Apr 2, 2008, 12:58 PM
Evolved Member

In terms of issues 2 and 3, its called wear and tear. It doesnt matter if the car is a 2008. Depending on where the car is located, how it is treated, where it is parked regularly, etc etc it will be slowly be turning from a brand new car with 0 miles, to whatever you turn it into. If you are so hard pressed about these issues you just need to do a better job of babying the car, simple as that.

Issue 1 could be anything. It could have been Mitsu, the dealer, someone who worked on the car, or someone who sat in your car. No way to prove any of them. Be thankful that there was no charge.

As for issue 4, you should be complaining to the dealership, not Mitsubishi HQ. Raise hell, contact the BBB etc etc.

Overall it sounds like you drive a lemon. You should check and see what you can do regarding that. I have yet to meet another Lancer driver in So Cal who *****es about their car this much so you might just be unlucky
Old Apr 2, 2008, 01:12 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Erm, no, there's no way a few comestic issues cause the car to be a lemon.

For the rusting bolts, you just had the car over the winter, in the east where the air is salty and they use salt on the roads. Things are going to rust, and do so quickly.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 01:17 PM
Evolved Member

just something to make note of: the check engine light isn't JUST for things related to the engine. there are all sorts of codes for just about everything you can think of for the car and for some you can't! it does sound reasonable that they will want to see at least a pending code.

going off on people isn't going to make it any easier for you guys to get what you want. with all that being said i think that they SHOULD be taking care of the issues but they also have every right to ask for the proof of the car coming in and exhibiting the malfunction or at least having it documented that there was a malfunction via the ECU.

for what it's worth i wouldn't worry about the rust. drop the cash and buy new lugnuts on your own. i've had new lugnuts on my car for less than a year and i am going to replace them when all the sand and salt is off the road because mine are rusted. i also am going to be paiting the exhaust tip with the high heat paint again this year because it's looking crappy again. sure i might drive a 2002 car but those rust issues are going to happen to EVERYONE on the east coast which is where you say you live.

it doesn't sound like the dealership is fighting you entirely... just remain calm, be polite and then see if you can get your car squared away. it doesn't sound like they flat out refused to fix any of the issues. when they do THAT and the issues are still present THEN you can go about contacting the BBB and taking action that way.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Welcome to owning a Mitsubishi. Service sucks at most dealerships and that's why I stay away. I haven't had a major problem with my car since owning it. Also you have a 1st gen car, you can expect things to go wrong.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 01:45 PM

HELLO hey i work for a dealership not mitsu but chevy and just a little insight on why they did some of the things are as follows ( and i am not trying to to defend any dealerships just telling you why things are done ) as for the TSB they are just that a bulletin meaning that they have seen this problem a number of times and this may or may not be a fix . untill it is a recall then they really do not have to try this fix for your problem unless all the symptons on the bulletin are met , reason being for that is if they can not duplicate the problem and just start as we say throwing parts at the car and this does not fix your problem then you are still going to be mad and say they never fixed your car . and then we all know from there it is just going to anothere big mess . like i said before any one trys to flame me i am just trying to give some insight to try and help calm you down on why they did what they did ..... i hope this helps and i know its not what you want to hear ....
Old Apr 2, 2008, 01:46 PM

As far as the lug nuts go. I know plenty of cars, new and old, that have made it through the winter without their lugnuts rusting. Ours rust because Mitsu uses ****ty materials to make their cars with.

The carbon fiber fading with a bunch of black dots all over it isn't wear and tear on the car. It's less then a year old. Things shouldn't be fading on the interior, just as the exterior paint shouldn't be peeling away.
The cracked mirror came like that with the car.

And its a service bulletin for a reason. If I experience the problem, they should fix it.
Old Apr 2, 2008, 02:37 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Check your Vin number , if your vin matches up with a service bulletin then its a simple process. if the dealership is giving you a problem call the 1800 customer service number, even if you get the USA guys, just tell them your problem and your Vin, they will instruct you what to do.

Ask them to give you a reference number so you can call them back if the dealer is still acting the fool. This is assuming there is a fix for the problem

Originally Posted by Reverence
So I just got back from the dealership after getting my 16,000 mile Service D done, which is oil change, load test batter, change air filter, top off fluids, test brakes, etc.
Not only are they overpriced because I paid $180 for that crap, which is expected because its a dealership. But I question as to whether or not they even do the work.

Anyway, here goes my rant.
The local dealership near me closed down, so I had to go to their new branch in a town about 30 minutes away, so that is already an inconvenience.
Now note all the below problems, even though I baby my car, it only has 16,000 miles, and I've been in there every 3,000 miles to get all the necessary services done.

So I went to the dealership with a list of problems today, hoping to get them fixed.

Problem 4:
I printed out the service bulletin about the no-start problem in which new relays had to be ordered. Now when I called the new dealership they told me over the phone that the service bulletin wasn't out yet so the problem couldn't be fixed.
Dealer Response 4:
Now when I went to the dealership today, I showed the guy the print out of the service bulletin about getting the new relays and told him how my car was cranking on start.
He asked if my check engine light was on...I said no, it wasn't. He said then the problem can't be fixed because the service bulletin says to fix the problem when the check engine light is on and returns a certain error code. So he's like, if the light goes on to have it come fixed.

I told him that I'm having the problem and why would the check engine light go on when its a problem with the starter and relays, not the engine.
He says if the problem keeps happening to come back and they'll have to examine the problem.

Do I have a right to be aggravated over all this? Should I call the Mitsubishi HQ and complain?

Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Old Apr 2, 2008, 02:40 PM

Yo Reverence...

I see your in Eastern US, and I see you say your Dealer just left...

I too am in eastern US and my dealer also just up and left... with no warning I might add.. even though I was there 2 weeks before they disappeared.

I was just wondering if your from CT, cuase its such a simular situation, I was thinking it might be the same dealer, lol
Old Apr 2, 2008, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by Wasper
Yo Reverence...

I see your in Eastern US, and I see you say your Dealer just left...

I too am in eastern US and my dealer also just up and left... with no warning I might add.. even though I was there 2 weeks before they disappeared.

I was just wondering if your from CT, cuase its such a simular situation, I was thinking it might be the same dealer, lol
Key Mitsubishi? lol
Old Apr 2, 2008, 03:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
a tsb means it's a known problem and should be fixed.

I work on volvo semi-trucks, and we have TSB's and recalls. In canada the recalls are for saftey measures and the TSB's are to fix known issues. So they should fix that no start TSB without a question, its a matter of replacing a few relays. Check engine light or not.

We have a new TSB for volvo, replacing light control module fuses with new lower rated fuses, gravy job just replace the fuse/breaker thats there and re-label the fuse list....no check engine light for that....

They should replace the relays bottom line, as for the lug nuts if the dealer is nice, they will replace but I got new lugs nuts and they are rusted, time to go aftermarket with corrosion warranty.

As for the carbon fiber trim, it should be replaced if its not right....factory mess up??
Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by Reverence
Key Mitsubishi? lol
"Drive Worry Free with Key" !

Yeah, you just gotta worry about where your going to get your services done after they up and leave, lol.

I was so mad.. I call for an oil change.. phone rings and rings. I try the next day, same thing. So, I call sales, they pick right up..

I say " I'm trying to reach the service department"..

The guy responds "it aint here no more".

So, now I'm like "what do you mean your not there no more?".

And he replies.. "Sir, it was in the paper for two weeks, if you didnt read about it, its not my problem."

Then I call key of Milford.. and they say the only way I can keep my "free tires for life and lifetime warrenty on the powertrain" is if I go all the way to Milford for services.. and they were such sports, they said they would give me a 10% discount becuase Im a Wallingford customer. 10% on a oil change is like $2.. I would have to spend $15 bucks in gas to get there, lol.

Well.. screw them, I wont EVER give them another penny of my money.. I dont even care about their "Worry Free liftime powetrain warrenty.

I'm currently looking for another dealer.. I went to Schaller Mitsu in New Britain to get my oil change last week... but Im not sure Im gonna stay with them. The reason is both the service tech and the director of the service department told me the 08 Lancers have a timing belt in them.... I know damn well there a chain, so they either dont know anything about the 4b11, or they are trying to rip people off and charge for a belt change at 60k... makes me leary about dealing with them.

Where did you go?
Old Apr 2, 2008, 04:04 PM
Evolved Member

Hey, were abouts in CT are you guys? I'm up in Enfield, so I hit up the Vernon Dealer when ever I have a problem. I think they are really professional up there. They even looked at my passenger seat light issue for about an hour, and didnt even charge me for the diagnostic. Fixed the TSB for the relays, no issue either. So if your up for the drive, its def worth it.

As for your rusting parts, you could try coating your lugs with a silicon spray...put a few coats on there since each coat is roughly less than a mm or so. I also cover the iron parts on my hubs with some old oil from my car to keep it from rusting. It sprays all over for a day...but then u can clean it up and it works pretty well.

Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Visit to the Dealer proves Pointless - Answers Needed