Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Intermittent starting issue

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2008, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Intermittent starting issue

Hey guys, my name is Mitch and I am new to the forum here!

I have a very unusual problem with a 2002 Lancer with 124,000 miles, it is an automatic. I searched but came up with little to nothing...

About a month ago the vehicle started to have some issues starting, it would crank and crank but the engine would never fire as if it was not getting fuel. Well the vehicle left me stranded one day so I had to have it towed to a service center. They found the fault to be with a Denso relay under the hood and it was replaced and worked once and then quit again, same problem and had to be towed.

It was towed back to the same shop and they messed with the relay and it worked again for about a week, and now we are back to where we started. It has been sitting at home since I don't have the money to have the shop diagnose a mystery problem at a rate of $80 an hour.

Does anyone have any ideas of what this could be? I am ASSUMING (bad, I know) that the shop checked the fuel flow and filter when it was in there. I am really at a loss here and I would appreciate any help from someone who has had this problem or any experts who would know something.

Last edited by Sleeksilver; Sep 5, 2008 at 02:07 PM.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 08:55 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spark plugs? Coil packs?

You've got 124k miles. I'm not really sure what your maintenance record is, so I don't really know what it would be.
Old Sep 6, 2008, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like a fuel delivery issue. Check residual fuel pressure at the rail after the car has been sitting awhile. Then check it while cranking. Low in either case could indicate a bad fuel pump or regulator.

If those check out ok, check if your injectors are pulsing by listening to them through a long screwdriver. If they aren't, it's 100% an electrical problem, most likely the EFI relay.