Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Radio and power locks not working!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2009, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Radio and power locks not working!

Alright so heres the deal. I tried putting in an aftermarket radio in my car today but i couldnt finish the install due to time constraint so I decided to put the stock stereo back in. I used a harness adapter so i didnt have to do any splicing. After putting the stock stereo in now it wont turn on and on top of that my power locks wont work when the car is off and the clock wont work. Ive done plenty of radios before and this has never happened before. All the fuses are fine and the grounds are intact. Anybody have any idea what it could be?

Thanks,
Old Apr 7, 2009, 07:31 AM

It's a longshot but.....did you check both fuse boxes? the one under the driver side as well as the one under the hood?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 07:57 AM

sure did. I pulled everyone of them. Im thinking it might be a bad ground somewhere in the dash. Or maybe something got disconnected somehow. But i checked everything and it looks ok so I dunno. Like i said, this has never happened before. its super weird..
Old Apr 7, 2009, 08:39 PM
Evolved Member

ok so most people over look this when checking for popped fuses. Fuse box under the hood, fuse number 5 is the power window control which i believe also controls the locks, it is a 30amp fuse. As well fuse number 23 is a radio fuse, it is a 10amp fuse. I would suggest checking those two to see if they are popped.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:44 PM

Im pretty sure I checked every single fuse in both boxes but Ill check again tommorrow. But the radio isnt getting power at all, and on top of that my trip meter rests every time i turn the car off, and the high beam indicator doesnt turn on when i switch them on. Also the power locks do work, but only when the key is in the on position. Like I said.. this is really weird. Im thinking there might be a fuse somewhere under the dash that could be blown (hopefully not) or a wire shorted out somewhere (definately hope not).

Any ideas still?
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:47 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by king_negative
Alright so heres the deal. I tried putting in an aftermarket radio in my car today but i couldnt finish the install due to time constraint so I decided to put the stock stereo back in. I used a harness adapter so i didnt have to do any splicing. After putting the stock stereo in now it wont turn on and on top of that my power locks wont work when the car is off and the clock wont work. Ive done plenty of radios before and this has never happened before. All the fuses are fine and the grounds are intact. Anybody have any idea what it could be?

Thanks,
SAME EXACT THING HAPPEN TO ME WHEN I HAD MY LANCER, only solution is to take it to mitsubishi and have them reset the computer. no other mechanic can do it. only their computer will reset it and everything will work again. just dont tell them you tried to take it off, just say it stop working and they will do it for free as long as u still have warranty, if not then its like 90 dollars.. belive me, its the same things that happen to me about a year ago.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 09:58 PM

Thanks man. Im gonna try and see if the dealer will help me out, although Im pretty sure Im out of warranty which blows but thanks anyway haha.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

Do you have a multi meter? try testing your wires and see which power source you are not getting, whether it be constant vs acc,

I would assume its a fuse, if you have your mulitmeter, and your fuses are fine, test for continuity between the connections at the fuse to the radio, see if there is a short.
Old Apr 7, 2009, 10:20 PM
Former Sponsor

ya man, i had the same problem, tried everything, even took it to my mechanic and his computer could not reset it, took it to mitsu, and bam 5 min the car car was good again.
Old Apr 23, 2009, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by egydude15
SAME EXACT THING HAPPEN TO ME WHEN I HAD MY LANCER, only solution is to take it to mitsubishi and have them reset the computer. no other mechanic can do it. only their computer will reset it and everything will work again. just dont tell them you tried to take it off, just say it stop working and they will do it for free as long as u still have warranty, if not then its like 90 dollars.. belive me, its the same things that happen to me about a year ago.

Alright so I talked to a couple dealers over the phone and when I told them about resetting the computer they told me "they have no idea what I'm talking about' even after I told them about what was wrong with it. And they continued to explain to me it would be a one hour diagnostic charge of $90, one other only charged $80. Sooo once again I'm out of luck. Any suggestions as to what I could possibly do without having to spend a ridiculous amount of money just to get my radio back?
Old Apr 23, 2009, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

It really really really sounds like a problem with a fuse.

Double check them, specially with a DMM, or test light, and see if they're all good, turn the car to the on position so the right ones also get power.

Because I mean if you only tried to install a radio with a connector adapter harness, you shouldent of done any damage to anything.

If the fuses are good, take the radio out and look for any damaged wires and such.

If all else fails, disconnect battery see if that works(prolly not)

ALSO check and see if all the fuses are in the right place.

I've seen a number of Nissans with popped fuses or someone put it back in the wrong slot and theyve had the exact problem as you
Old May 13, 2009, 10:15 AM
Evolved Member

did you check the fuses inside the yellow box in the underhood fuse box? That whole box clicks in and out. Make sure it is pushed all the way down and clicked in.
Old May 13, 2009, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by hksevoix
did you check the fuses inside the yellow box in the underhood fuse box? That whole box clicks in and out. Make sure it is pushed all the way down and clicked in.
i peeked in there to check them and they looked fine but i couldnt get the yellow box out to actually see if they were alright. any idea on how to do that?
Old May 13, 2009, 06:37 PM
Former Sponsor

dude, im tellin you the same exact thing happen to my lancer, what the dealer told me was "we replaced a wire" which only took 5 minutes and 90 dollars. belive me, take it to them they will do it in like 5 min, i checked every single fuse when this happen and tested every waire in the harness, nothing will work except the dealer doing what ever crap they do to these things.
Old May 15, 2009, 02:55 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok this EXACT thing just happened to me over the last few days. No power when the key wasn't in the car, no cd power period, and tripometer kept resetting. It ended up being a fuse under the hood. I don't remember the exact number but it was in the lower right hand corner if you're looking at it from the driver's side fender.

Quick Reply: Radio and power locks not working!