Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

okay new problem with misfire..

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:01 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
okay new problem with misfire..

Okay this is really starting to tick me off... i put brand new double platinum plugs and now my car is misfiring more than ever. The plugs are gapped and there is nothing wrong with my intake so i dont know what else to do. I am thinking maybe a gallon or so of gas and a book of matches would do the job.
Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:08 AM
Evolving Member

could the car be rejecting the platinum tipped spark plugs
Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:17 AM
Evolved Member

Go buy some NGK copper plugs- $2 each. See if that doesn't fix your problem. There's no proven benefit to using platinum or iridium plugs in a low compression NA car (read: the Lancer).
I've heard several complaints from domestic car guys about the plugs "double sparking" and misfiring.

Good Luck Bro
Old Sep 26, 2003, 10:23 AM
Evolving Member

thanks man... i called the dealer and that is the brand they gave me also but you can't always trust them.
Old Oct 4, 2003, 04:16 PM
Evolving Member

Copper core NGK's only lasted about 2 maybe 2.5 hours. So i spent $35 and put the new Bosch +4 in and they lasted about 8-10 hours of driving time. Next move will be driving my car into Puget Sound aflame from the nearest and highest bridge. It doesnt misfire unless i push the pedal down more than a quarter of the travel of gas pedal on accel. from a stop sign or light. Or when i floor it after i get going. Could this be a factory problem cuz if it is i will drive my car through the front of the building. I no longer have the warranty I am about 1500 miles out of it so they dont want anything to do with me unless i have cash in hand when i enter the building.
Old Nov 4, 2003, 08:59 PM

i was having the same problem, as soon as i floored it it would studder and misfire. I replaced the coils for the 2 and 4 cyl and now it runs like new. no hesitation or misfires. i even drove it from 600 rpm in second gear to full throttle and not even a shudder. It was driving me nuts for about 2 months trying to figure it out. i am still using the stock plugs.