Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Xenon bulb help

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2009, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xenon bulb help

I just bought a pair of xenon light bulbs for my 03 lancer and I need help with it. Firstly, I bought it from ebay, this one in particular... http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=280344304749

The seller sent me a pair, I took out my stocks and plug these in. At first it seemed like that they were inverted, brighter on low and dimmer on high but later that night I went for a drive and realized that one was low and one was high, when flick to high beam it would invert.

So I emailed the seller and he sent me a new pair. It's the same with the new pair. I tried switching left to right and vice versa and that didn't help either.

So now I have on low beam, one sitting at high/brighter and one at low/dimmer and the other way around when I flick the switch.

I also put my stocks back in and they work fine. Should I just ditch the idea of buying from ebay or just ditch the idea all-together?
Old Jun 6, 2009, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Are you the original owner of the car? If not, a previous owner may have altered the headlight wiring harness on the side that is lighting up backwards.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 07:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have bought a few of these type of lights off ebay for my 03 es, Even if you get them to work right dont be surprised if one or both go out in 6 months or less. I went through 3 pairs in less than a year. Thats when I went to HID lighting and havent had a single issue since and there bright as F***
Old Jun 6, 2009, 07:52 PM

I bought my car new and I haven't done or have anyone else do anything to my lighting system. Also, since stock bulbs work as designed I don't think there's any problem with the wiring.

Question for other 03 owners. Is the stock bulb 55w on low and 65w on high?

Is HID high/low dual bulb?

Last edited by genes|s; Jun 6, 2009 at 07:55 PM.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 08:49 PM
Evolved Member

All the HID kits I seen were HID low and then regular bulb for high for our cars but there could be other kits out there, not sure off hand what the wattage is. I know my HID's are
35w
Old Jun 6, 2009, 09:51 PM

But my light case can only have one bulb!
Old Jun 6, 2009, 10:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by genes|s
But my light case can only have one bulb!
There are dual beam HID bulbs for both low and high beam.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 10:04 AM

Same goes for xenon, they should be low/high in one bulb. The guy is sending me 100watt bulb now, should I even plug in 100w bulb?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:03 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by genes|s
Same goes for xenon, they should be low/high in one bulb. The guy is sending me 100watt bulb now, should I even plug in 100w bulb?
You'll probably melt your harness with a bulb that high. You're better off going with a true HID setup. Much better looking and less hassle.
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by senate6268
you'll probably melt your harness with a bulb that high. You're better off going with a true hid setup. Much better looking and less hassle.
^+1
Old Jun 11, 2009, 05:52 PM
Evolving Member

Hello,

I think if trying to buy certain brand item you may be better ordering not from Ebay. I say this because while most Ebay sellers are probably honest without doubt many also are just out to make a buck even if getting that buck involves selling you fake goods , like fake xenon lights or etc. In China they produce many fake things for cars so just seems a chance some may be selling this goods. I lived for many years in Asia , Philippines, and while living there saw fake Safari Snorkels, fake car audio stuff from brands like Pioneer Alpine and etc, fake 3m window tint and even saw fake Xenon headlights. These items look real down to the packaging and included paper but are of far lessor quality. Anyway just think it may be in persons best interest to order from a reputable dealer rather than from Ebay unless the Ebay seller has many positive feedback's, even thats not sure thing though as have bought things from power sellers that I know full well are fake. Anyway a reputable business in all probability isn't fly by night and will not risk their reputation for a fast buck so may be better sticking with them.

BTW, Anyone seen those fake brembo caliper covers that glue on that some of the Asian sellers are selling on Ebay. I have no idea who buys them but they are kinda funny as for sure will not increase your stopping power LOLOL.

Justin
Old Jun 27, 2009, 10:40 AM

hiii!! i just bought a pair of HIDs and i installed them, they both work when i turn on the headlight but sometimes 1 will shut off. also sometimes it would flicker... how do i make it stop flickering as well as keep BOTH lights on... please helppp!!! i have a 2006 lancer ES
Old Jun 28, 2009, 08:31 AM

Might be the ballast going bad or simply lose connection somewhere.
Old Jul 1, 2009, 10:18 AM
Evolved Member

Check to see how you mounted the ballast too, When I first got mine one quit working and turned out I mounted the ballast wrong and water got into the connection and it eventually stopped working all together