Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

A/C problem, sometimes it works, other times not so much

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:28 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A/C problem, sometimes it works, other times not so much

Alright, I've been having problems with my A/C and its very curious so I am looking for advice as to what I can do or look for as I am unemployed and cannot afford to take it to a shop at the moment.

The A/C works just fine whenever the car has been given time to cool off and will work for hours on end as long as the car isn't shut off. If I let the car get up to temp and then shut off the car and come back to it later, even just a few minutes later, the A/C does not work at all. When I turn it on the engine revs up, fan kicks on, and all the goodies but no cold air. From what I can tell when this is happening the compressor is not turning on.

I have checked the fuses and relays and they are all fine. Its odd, because it works every day when I first go start my car but if I shut it off and turn it back on no A/C. Leave it sit to get totally cooled off and it works again.

Does anyone have a manual for testing the components of the A/C system or have experience with a problem like this? Please help its really hot out.

-Justin
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:33 PM
Evolved Member

Location: somewhere testing various tires, brakes, and suspensions.
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
How old is your accessory belt? If the belt is worn and heats up, it can expand. If the AC clutch senses any slipping it will shut it down.

Check your wires also. If one was cut/crimped it might touch/short when hot.
Old Jul 24, 2009, 10:37 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
belt is only a few months old, checked it to make sure it was tight and its all good. This problem just started a few months ago out of no where so im pretty confused. I did have a hose running to my condenser explode (a defect in the coupling) and was replaced. The system was vaccumed and recharged and everything worked fine except this little issue and im just running out of ideas as to what it could be.

Have any ideas regarding which wires I should be checking? I haven't touched anything down there and i've checked what wires I can see (only 1 going to the top of the condensor) and its fine.