Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Fan control relay/aftermarket hose adapter issues

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2010, 10:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Fan control relay/aftermarket hose adapter issues

Ok, replaced the engine coolant sensor, and installed my new fan module (back of driver-side fan). STILL no fan action up to 195F, so I'm stumped. Any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is that my temperature gauge sender isn't working right now, but that doesn't make sense... I disconnected the stock sending unit when I installed my aftermarket digital guage, but never noticed a temp issue (prob cause I did this over winter).

Any suggestions would be great. This is the temp adapter I grabbed: Ebay

I'm basically tired of messing with the stock setup and am considering hardwiring the fans. Anyone got a quick rundown of what wire's what on the fan connectors and the main connector for the relay (I'm assuming just wiring all three together will do the trick)? Would there be any issues to having the fans on all the time (other than amp drainage on startup)?

Thanks

Last edited by jwick76; Jul 2, 2010 at 06:03 PM.
Old Jul 1, 2010, 07:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Have you checked the fan control relay to make sure it's still functioning properly? It might need to be replaced...?
Attached Thumbnails Fan control relay/aftermarket hose adapter issues-fan_controller_relay_check.png  
Old Jul 2, 2010, 06:04 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
Have you checked the fan control relay to make sure it's still functioning properly? It might need to be replaced...?
Didn't realize there was something in the fuse box for this. *shakes head* Figures. I figure this is a dealer-only part then? I'll give it a shot, and if I still fail to get it to work I'll hardwire them.

Very annoying to have the system set up this way, IMO. Do you have the part # listed? If not I'll hop over to the part request thread.

Grounded the adapter, the sending unit, and removed the teflon tape...hopefully i can get the stock gauge working again.
Old Jul 2, 2010, 07:38 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Relay = MR538851
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:12 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by senate6268
Relay = MR538851
Okay, got this in today but it's not the part you indicated in your schematic. I replaced it anyway, since I have a new one *shrugs*. Any idea what the part number is for the relay you have indicated? Below is the part they sent me from mitsubishiparts.net

Old Jul 29, 2010, 02:54 PM
Evolved Member

Might help if I take it out and look at it. Part number's right on it. sorry!

MR301978

ordered it today, i'll update if it works
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:29 AM
Evolved Member

Well, I got the new relay in, and as in the pic below it looks to be that the relay I had was blown (you can see the difference in the indicator bubbles, old one is orange, new one is blue). Unfortunately, my fans still won't turn on unless I engage the AC.

I'm thinking I might have an issue with the ecu connection, so I'm assuming there's nothing wrong with hardwiring the fans?
Attached Thumbnails Fan control relay/aftermarket hose adapter issues-img00235.jpg  
Old Aug 8, 2010, 11:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now I'm assuming your car is overheating so your temp. gauge is high? You never stated what your original problem was. You need to check if there's an input voltage that's going to activate the relay. Also use a meter to check if there is a voltage drop across the relay to see if it's activated. There maybe a bad ecu connection but I doubt it. Trace the schematic back to see what sensor is activated/not activated. Good luck.
Old Aug 18, 2010, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

The original problem is that I installed an aftermarket gauge that tells me how hot everything is now, instead of the idiot factory gauge. Here's what I've noticed so far (now that I have the aftermarket hose adapter functioning on the lower radiator hose):

Thermostat is partially open at 195F, Thermostat is fully opened between 200F-205F. My Radiator fan does NOT engage at all, at any time, unless I turn on the AC.

I've got a meter that I'll use to test the connections tomorrow, but I'm tired of replacing things just to have it not work. I'd rather just hardwire the stupid fans. Of course, I'd like to know what the initial issue is, so I'll test it anyway.
Old Nov 8, 2010, 03:24 AM
Evolved Member

I tried everything dude, wasted a lot of money on relays, controllers, sensors. Nothing. So hardwiring was the way to go, and I'm definitely happy with it. Now the fans come on with the car, and stay on for 5-10 seconds after I turn it off to cool everything down. Just make sure you use heatshrink connectors, and I even want the extra step of using the cold wrap tape (it's like sticky rubber tape stuff that totally seals the area, it's in the same section as electrical tape).