Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Help with an oil leak from the lower crank pulley area

Search this Thread

Old Jun 27, 2011, 05:35 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Help with an oil leak from the lower crank pulley area

Well... Long story short. I was driving down the road, came to a stop. Pushed the clutch in and the car stalled out. Started right back up, went a few more miles and the Oil Light came on, pulled over and when I stopped the same thing happened. Looked under the car and there was oil pooled under the oil pan area. Under the hood there was oil all over the passenger side of the compartment, like oil had leaked on the belts and been spinning and flinging oil. It holds oil and does not leak unless the car is started and running. Once it is running it leaks like a sieve.

Got a buddy to tow me home. Got the car jacked up and started cleaning the engine compartment. Once everything was clean we started the car up for a split second and located the leak.

It's leaking from around the lower crank pulley. Anyone have thoughts on what it may be? I'm thinking crank shaft oil seal. A friend said it may be an oil pump seal. If anyone has seen this feel free to chime in. I'm going to start ordering parts in the next few days once I assess it more.

If you want to see full size pics you can see them on Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/9607121...57627064261780
Attached Thumbnails Help with an oil leak from the lower crank pulley area-photoa.jpeg   Help with an oil leak from the lower crank pulley area-photob.jpeg   Help with an oil leak from the lower crank pulley area-photoc.jpeg   Help with an oil leak from the lower crank pulley area-photod.jpeg   Help with an oil leak from the lower crank pulley area-photoe.jpeg  

Old Jun 27, 2011, 09:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sorry but more than likely from losing oil there was oil starvation for the bearing spun some bearings in your block , probably your main bearings .

Drain the remaining oil and check for metal .

Sorry to say this , but if it is , which sounds exactly like the symptoms start saving up for a new engine block .
Old Jul 10, 2011, 07:32 AM
Evolving Member

Yep, rebuild time...

So... it is a spun bearing. The car has ~ 250,600 miles on it and never a major repair. Just maintenance stuff like timing belts and such. So I've decided to rebuild the engine. Not sure if I'm going to rebuild this one or go get an already rebuild engine to drop in temporarily so I can drive it around still. Then make this engine a clean build from the bottom up.

Thanks for the input.

A local shop in the DFW area quoted me $1200 in labor + parts to put a new engine in. Anyone know if that's high or low? I'm seriously concidering doing it myself. I've changed the motor mounts early on with the Deyeme racing mounts. It doesn't seem that hard to drop a new engine in, with the right tools.

Any input?

Tahnks again everyone.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:30 PM
Evolved Member

Good job on running 250k miles man, very very nice.

On to the new engine! 1200 to get a new engine put in is pretty low, from what I've heard. Basically 400-600 for a used engine is typical it seems, so 600 for install is less than what many shops quote for a clutch install....do you know the guys quoting it well?

Also, yeah, you could do it if you are mechanically inclined I bet...many have, but I haven't ever done it. I plan on doing it...but with built internals and all that jazz. Maybe thats what you should do, rebuild your current one with forged pistons/rods, get a custom turbo kit, and go ape on that motor with like 300hp!

If you do put a new engine in, take pictures of it, that's always the most fun part to me....sharing it with others.
Old Jul 11, 2011, 11:53 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
1500-1600 is the RnR for an evo motor -- not sure if theres more or less involved.