Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Power steering problem (grinding noise)?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 9, 2013, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Power steering problem (grinding noise)?

Hey guys, I seem to be having a problem with my car. Everytime I turn my steering wheel I hear a grinding noise. It only occurs when stopped completely or at very low mph ~5 - 15. I did a little research and people commonly said that it could be due to low power steering fluid. So in turn, I went to the mitsubishi parts dealer and picked up the specified "Genuine mitsubishi power steering fluid" but I cant seem to locate the reservoir to fill.... I'm fairly new to the maintenance of cars as this is my first that I've owned so far. It sounds very laughable Im sure, but I'm a bit stumped. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

2011 Mitsubishi Lancer ES
~52,000 Miles (current)

I have attached a photo of under the hood of my car. When I referred to the service manual diagram it showed the oil reservoir located behind the coolant reservoir. But its missing?
Attached Thumbnails Power steering problem (grinding noise)?-img_1751.jpg  

Last edited by cyberhunter415; Dec 9, 2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 04:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The power steering reservoir should be behind the coolant overflow bottle. At least it is in a 2008.

I would consult with someone who knows a bit about vehicles. It is a clear reservoir a little bigger than a beer can.
Old Dec 14, 2013, 10:43 PM

It's possible that you could have a bad CV axle joint. I had a similar issue with my car making a grinding noise when turning the wheel stopped/at low speeds. I had to have the whole driver's side axle replaced, which was quite expensive (~$900 for just the part). I'd recommend taking it to either the dealership or to an automotive repair shop and having them take a look at the car. That's the only way to know what's really wrong with it if you don't have the training to diagnose the issue yourself.
Old Jan 1, 2014, 07:24 AM

I have the same problem, I had a CV boot replaced due to leakage, there isnt much "fix it" about it on the web. Someone stated before it could be the Sway Bar End-Link, i checked mine the other day, tight as could be. Im suspecting inner tie rod, should have checked it when i had it checked up. Maybe one day I'll have an answer without replacing the CV's for no reason @ 30k miles.
Old Jan 13, 2014, 07:29 PM

Thanks for the replies. Went away after I got my new tires mounted, balanced and aligned... Weird. Ill have the mechanic take a look next time I bring it in. Thank you
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:04 AM

cyberhunter 415 - what became of your problem ? Was it just tires , balancing and alignment that fixed your problem ? I've got the same issue and I find it odd that there is no reservoir for the power steering fluid . I'd like to start there instead of investigating the CV joints etc.
Old May 24, 2014, 08:54 AM

I have an 08 Lancer and the Power Steering Reservoir is right behind the radiator overflow bottle. But on my sons 11 Lancer doesn't seem to have a reservoir. I guess it's a closed loop system and doesn't need to be filled.
Old May 26, 2014, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by johnchidsey@yah
cyberhunter 415 - what became of your problem ? Was it just tires , balancing and alignment that fixed your problem ? I've got the same issue and I find it odd that there is no reservoir for the power steering fluid . I'd like to start there instead of investigating the CV joints etc.
Hey sorry for untimely reply. So went to the mechanic and turns out that it is a closed system, as Shornak suggested. My mechanic couldnt find any problem when I brought it to him. I even tried the dealership and they told me the same thing. I got a rebalance and alignment when I threw my new tires on and the grinding ceased for a while. It occurs from time to time but its not affecting the steering. Just annoying to hear.