Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

AC won't take refrigerant/blow cold air.

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 12:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question AC won't take refrigerant/blow cold air.

I just know I'm going to get reamed about not using the search function but I'm new to the site and the search did not bring up any results after my masterful use of keywordage…

Anyway my 2002 Lancer ES will not take refrigerant in the low end input. So I'm led to believe it is already full but it won't blow cold air even after I've turned on the AC. Bear in mind this model did have problems with the control gears which I've already replaced so they shod not be causing the problem (in a perfect world anyway).

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Old May 8, 2014, 12:29 PM

i had the same problem with my 05 evo. hot air but was full of refrigerant. i called mitsu and they said it needed to be flushed and new fluid put in. i never got around to doing it but thats just my .02

good luck
Old May 8, 2014, 01:45 PM
Evolving Member

If all the refrigerant seeped out, trying to refill it won't work due to it having air in the system. You have to have it evacuated with a machine used specifically used to evac a/c systems. They connect hoses to both ports and the machine pumps refrigerant in one port and the air is extracted from the other. Any shop should have one, but it would run you about $80 to have it evacuated.
Old May 8, 2014, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by RT78
If all the refrigerant seeped out, trying to refill it won't work due to it having air in the system. You have to have it evacuated with a machine used specifically used to evac a/c systems. They connect hoses to both ports and the machine pumps refrigerant in one port and the air is extracted from the other. Any shop should have one, but it would run you about $80 to have it evacuated.
This is correct...the system is in a vacuum and therefore loads coolant when it needs to be added. If you lost coolant, there is no vacuum to draw the new charge in-- and you see what happens, it wont recharge. Pull a vacuum with a vacuum pump and recharge-- I would suggest you find the leak before doing this or its a waste. Good luck