Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Lancer not starting

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2014, 03:16 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lancer not starting

OK, When I crank the motor over it will not start. Then engine does have spark and I did check the fuel pump by jumping it directly to a 12 volt lead and then the car would start up. I checked the harness at the fuel pump and there is no electricity and when I checked up on the fuse block under the dash there was no electric there as well.

So I figured that the CPS might of been dead and telling the ECU not to give the fuel pump any juice , so I used a multimeter to check the Crankshaft Position Sensor harness and I could tell it was receiving electric by testing the positive and negative wire separately.

When I plugged it back in to check the signal wire for the sensor, it was outputting 5 volts at TDC. Could the CPS still be fried out and give off 5 volts on the sensor signal wire? I also switched the multimeter to Hz mode and it received no readings at that point on the signal wire.

BTW, it is not throwing any codes at all. Not even any errors on the fuel system. I am using a cheapo code reader though, but on that note if I unplug the CPS i receive an error then.

Old Jul 4, 2014, 06:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
If you can hook 12 volts up to it and it starts, then I doubt the CPS is causing the problem. I would start up at the ignition and follow the wires til you find the short.
Old Jul 4, 2014, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Make sure to check the fuel pump relays too