Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

2004 Sportback idle issue after TB change

Search this Thread

Old Nov 2, 2015, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 Sportback idle issue after TB change

I just finished a TB/WP change and took my 2004 Sportback 2.4L (4G69) out for a run. It ran fine but when I came to a stop sign, the idle dropped to <300rpm and threatened to stall. Sitting in the driveway it sounds as smooth a sewing machine and it sounds smooth as it revs. When I put it in gear the revs dropped and I noticed the revs varied some before I moved the car... No CEL....
As this is my Wifes' car, she got in it this morning and drove out. She said it stalled at every corner and she headed straight home, as she didn't want to risk stalling it in the middle of an intersection!

A little confusing. I took my time when I did the TB job, followed the FSM, aligned the marks and used the sp tool to set the TB tension adjustment, checked it with the pin re-insertion etc etc. I cleaned everything including the crank position sensor---- and used a new serpentine belt etc. So, did I screw up somewhere? Has something coincidentally failed or what?? If the crank sensor fails the car shouldn't even run, correct? With no CEL, I see it as a crap shoot as to where to start...

On a side note, I did a TB/WP job on my sons' 2003 Eclipse (4G64) a couple of weeks ago (which was more of a pain due to space considerations) and it behaved a little funny for a few days, then was fine. Could this be the ECU "relearning" after the battery being disconnected for an extended period of time?? I ran into this when I did an engine replacement in my 4Runner last year--- it ran at high idle for approx. 30 min of operation (a couple of days) then run perfectly.... however, stalling seems a little extreme for this possibility!

Any input would be appreciated!!

Last edited by poleclimber63; Nov 2, 2015 at 11:48 AM. Reason: added