Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

Possible Power/charging issue

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2016, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Possible Power/charging issue

I have been trying to figure out what's causing this issue. This issue has been around for about 3 months or so. Any and all feedback/help will be appreciated.

Symptoms

-headlights become dim when brake pedal is depressed

-headlights dim at random moments while driving ( a sort of flicker however, the headlights do not completely cut off)

- sometimes when placing transmission in neutral car loses power to the point where it almost dies

- sometimes with transmission in reverse car loses power to the point where it almost dies

-headlights, instrument panel & accessory lights get brighter when rpms are increased during idle

I couldn't quite figure out the issue since my alternator is about a year old and also is my battery. Checked terminals for damage or carbon build up. Ensured that connections were nice and tight.

Car was taken to two different mechanics, one used a machine which basically told read that my battery was bad & the other after some testing concluded that I needed to replace my alternator so I am very confused at this point. :shrug:

Any thoughts?

Here's an example of one of the symptoms i recorded. Once the rpms are increased as you can see the lights get brighter. They dim once the car is idling again.

Last edited by SilentCool; Jan 28, 2016 at 09:43 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2016, 09:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SilentCool
I have been trying to figure out what's causing this issue. This issue has been around for about 3 months or so. Any and all feedback/help will be appreciated.

Symptoms

-headlights become dim when brake pedal is depressed

-headlights dim at random moments while driving ( a sort of flicker however, the headlights do not completely cut off)

- sometimes when placing transmission in neutral car loses power to the point where it almost dies

- sometimes with transmission in reverse car loses power to the point where it almost dies

-headlights, instrument panel & accessory lights get brighter when rpms are increased during idle

I couldn't quite figure out the issue since my alternator is about a year old and also is my battery. Checked terminals for damage or carbon build up. Ensured that connections were nice and tight.

Car was taken to two different mechanics, one used a machine which basically told read that my battery was bad & the other after some testing concluded that I needed to replace my alternator so I am very confused at this point. :shrug:

Any thoughts?

Here's an example of one of the symptoms i recorded. Once the rpms are increased as you can see the lights get brighter. They dim once the car is idling again.

Test - YouTube
Try checking the voltage at the battery with the car stopped and running. Should be around 12 off, and 14 while running.