Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

burnt blower motor pigtail

Search this Thread

Old Apr 28, 2016, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
burnt blower motor pigtail

hello all,
I am new here and never owned a lancer es before. Let me fill you in on the background. I purchased the car cheap cause the previous owner let the timing belt brake and bent the valves. I put a new head on it and got it timed properly and its running great. When I bought the car he told me the fan (Blower motor) only worked on low speed so I was thing the resistor, replaced and and to no avail I had the exact same problem fan only blew on low. Pondering this I pulled out the climate control unit and fought like hell to get the fan speed pigtail unplugged but when I did i noticed inside was half melted. I looked at buying a whole new climate control unit but seen the price and was like WOW. So my questions is does anybody know where to purchase a new pigtail from. I live in a small town and no junkyards close by. I was just thinking of making my own pigtail. The next question is about the speed selector. All the metal prongs are still in tact they are just brown colored, is it still useable or is something inside of it probably melted. If I do need to replace it, is there a place where you can buy just the speed selector part without buying the whole unit. And the final question which is probably the most important is what causes it to melt in the first place. I know I ask a lot of questions just trying to figure this out.
Thank you.
Jim
Old Apr 28, 2016, 02:17 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
can you post a picture?
Old Apr 28, 2016, 07:37 PM

here is a pic of the pig tail that plugs into the back of the fan speed selector. the switch itself was also burnt.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 07:39 PM

as a side not I ran a jumper basically bypassing the selector switch running a wire from the hot to the high speed wire with a toggle switch in between and after about 5 minutes the toggle switch got so hot i could not touch it.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

oh, wow...the fuse should blow long before you get into electrical fire territory. Are you sure you have the correct fuse installed? it's possible the blower was popping the fuse, and someone figured, "hey, i'll just get a higher AMP fuse that won't blow"...and that's how cars burn to the ground. there's a short somewhere, I would check the blower resistor, but i'm not 100% sure of which connector i'm looking at.
Old May 1, 2016, 06:57 PM

I was thinking the same things with the fuses but they both are correct. I ordered a new blower motor going to replace it anyways. I am just wondering if this is a case of the wires possibly being undersized and maybe the motor just getting tired and drawing more amps than it should but not enough to pop the fuse. Also wonder if there is a possibility that just the switch wore out and was maybe arcing internal and that's what started the problem. If I put the new motor in and it still heats up I am debating about wiring in a relay between the resistor and the blower motor taking the pressure off of the switch.
Old May 2, 2016, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

I would replace the blower resistor as well.