Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

03 ES - AC Blower stay on when key removed from ignition

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2016, 02:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 ES - AC Blower stay on when key removed from ignition

Recently on my wifes 03 Lancer ES I came out in the morning to a battery that wouldn't start the car. I had just replaced the battery last year. But had it tested as well as the alternator. Everything checks out. The battery holds a charge and the alt does charge the battery at 13 some odd volts. When I turn the car off the battery is at 12.95v right around where it should be.
But in the morning it's too dead to start the car. I noticed after the second day of this happening that the A/C blower for circulating air in the cabin of the car is saying on even after the key is removed. As far as I can recall that has never been the case. I know some vehicles will let the engine(radiator) fan run for a short period on a hot engine after being turned off. But I've never seen one that has the A/C blower run without the key in the ignition and on at least the ACC position.

Now, when the key is turned to the 'Lock' position the dash and stereo turn off as normal. But the A/C blower continues to run which makes me think there is some sort of fuse or relay that is pulling electricity when it shouldn't and that is what is draining the battery over-night.

Any idea's on where the relay is for the A/C blower motor is or what could be the cause of the electrical drain? I hate taking the car to the stealership here in town b/c they charge out the nose for everything.
Old Jun 2, 2016, 02:47 PM

Also, just to clarify the A/C Blower is the fan that is controlled by the knob on the dashboard. So when I turn it 'off' the blower is off, but when turned to any setting 1,2,3,4 it turns the blower onto that speed.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:48 AM

*bumpish*

So I think the final issue on this is the blower motor relay remaining hot even after the car is shut off. I will be working to replace that relay. I figure if everything else radio, lights, etc power off when the car is shut off and key removed then it is unlikely to be the ignition switch but something further down the line.

In the mean time, I hooked my multimeter up and found that the car is drawing between .35 and .42 miliamps which seems to be on the high side. Seems like it should be closer to .05 to .10 to just keep the electronics memory. But wasn't sure that this would be enough to drain the battery over night/weekend.

So I started pulling fuses and found that the AC fuse under the hood when pulled dropped it down to that .05 mA range from .40 mA.

I was wondering if anyone had a copy or link to a wiring diagram for the 03 Lancer ES so if after replacing the relay I was still seeing that big draw I could perhaps trace the wires and see if something else is shorting along the way.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 09:32 AM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
Pm me
Old Mar 18, 2021, 10:10 PM

Hi, did you get this problem sorted? I am having the exact same problem on my 08 Lancer. Any pointers?
Old Mar 25, 2021, 10:35 AM

Originally Posted by Stephen Ebanks
Hi, did you get this problem sorted? I am having the exact same problem on my 08 Lancer. Any pointers?
I think in the end I replaced the relay. You can check if it's the same issue by putting a multimeter between the battery post and connector while the car and everything is off. Make sure any door/dome lights are off as well and look at the draw. It should be under .10ma. if it's higher then start pulling fuses one at a time check to draw then replace and move to the fuse. Eventually you should see it drop to a normal amount. That'll point you in the direction of the loop that needs checked. Then it's a matter of checking wires for shorts or components that aren't performing correctly.