Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

New battery, new alternator but car still dies

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2017, 04:58 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New battery, new alternator but car still dies

I recently had my battery and alternator replaced and have confirmed that they are both fully working and functional. My car is able to start up fine but once I start driving and RPM's drop below 1000, the car completely dies. The car will start up again but will die once I start driving and let off the gas. There is currently no check engine light on. The car starts up at 1000rpm and will stay fluctuating between 1000-2500rpm (without stepping on gas), the idle is usually rough. I have a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer LS with aftermarket Injen intake (not cold air), roughly 150K miles. Also, when I was able to turn off the car by itself, there would be a loud hissing sound from the engine (probably intake). I'm not sure if it is related to the car dying now.

Could it be something with the crank shaft sensor? cam shaft position sensor? fuel pump? idle air control valve? dirty throttle body? I've had it towed to the nearest shop twice because the alternator was bad the first time then the battery was defective the second time. Now I want them to be able to pin point this problem once and for all. Any help is appreciated!
Old Feb 20, 2017, 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 89 Likes on 86 Posts
like I said in the other thread, it could be your evap purge solenoid, based on the OP's post, but then in this post you provided more details...you're saying the idle rpm goes up to 2,500? it could also be related to EGR, or it really could be any vacuum leak...the engine dying without throttle really screams evap purge solenoid...you should scan the ECU for DTC's anyway...the light could be burnt out...(it's happened)