Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

I Bought a Bucket. Need Help.

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2017, 01:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Bought a Bucket. Need Help.

Alright, so I went ahead and bought myself a 500 dollar ES 2003.
It was posted as a timing belt issue and I was eager to swap out the belt as I was familiar with the process and figured it would be an easy fix.
When I go to swap the belt, I find the belt is fully in tact. :/

I ended up with no compression in cylinders 1, 3 and 4 and like 10 psi in cylinder 2. I took out the Schrader valve on the hose and pumped air into the engine to listen for any air. Had air coming up and out the intake and radiator on some cylinders and figured to do a valve job and gaskets.
When I got the head off, I found lots of gunk and build up of what seemed to be burnt oil. It was all over the valves and the tops of the pistons. Did not find any real damage and no valves were bent when i took them off the head. They just had a lot of buildup. I cleaned the top of the pistons and was looked for any valve knock marks or anything beyond what my eye could discern as a straight valve on the ones I had inspected.
I then bought new head gasket, and lapped the valves with grinding compound. Then I put everything back together and the battery was out, so I charged it and ran a parasitic draw test and found a few fuses that were pulling minimal amps.
So now, everything is together and the engine finally turns and I have compression but not nearly what I was hoping for. I only have 30 psi in cylinder 1, none in 2 and 90 in both 3 and 4. I haven't pumped any air into the engine yet cause I don't own a compressor but am now concerned that the loss of compression is a bad piston ring.

When I turned the engine using the Harmonic Balancer bolt, it felt smooth and the tops of the cylinders didn't have any edges indicative of wear so I figured that the rings were fine. Not too sure where to go from here... Remove the oil pan, drop the pistons, hone, overhaul the rings and re-assemble? Anyone??
Old Jun 20, 2017, 10:16 PM

Do a wet test (compression). Also check your rocker arm shafts. Make sure the rockers are in the right spot and that your engine is timed correctly. Also when you had the head off, did you check the deck for warpage. 2.0l engines were/are known for faulty head gaskets and if it overheated and warped the head, you'll have low compression and if you do the leak down test (air in the cylinder), the air may jump cylinders.
just a thought
Old Jun 21, 2017, 11:44 AM

Ran a wet test and decided to finally take the bottom timing cover off and inspect the entire belt instead of just the top. I didn't bother before because I thought I had all my timing marks lined up. When I remov d the bottom cover, the belt had a series of ten teeth that had com off. Replaced it, realigned all timing marks and now have 190 compression across all cylinders. Now I have a no spark problem and the engine will not start still. The coils seem to be alright and within spec and I'm getting power to the harness and have checked relays. Am now going through the diagrams to see if I missed a ground and looking for either a relay or something electrical.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by ES Eager Gains
Ran a wet test and decided to finally take the bottom timing cover off and inspect the entire belt instead of just the top. I didn't bother before because I thought I had all my timing marks lined up. When I remov d the bottom cover, the belt had a series of ten teeth that had com off. Replaced it, realigned all timing marks and now have 190 compression across all cylinders. Now I have a no spark problem and the engine will not start still. The coils seem to be alright and within spec and I'm getting power to the harness and have checked relays. Am now going through the diagrams to see if I missed a ground and looking for either a relay or something electrical.
when the bottom of the belt went? And when you had the cover off... the crank sensor could have gotten damaged. If you have a code reader check for a crank code. And I have to warn you ahead of time, the connector for the crank sensor (on the cover to the side of the head) is often mixed up with the connector for the coil. And I'd be checking fuses in your engine fuse box. The lower timing covers are finicky, and I've seen people actually break the wires that go through them to the crank sensor. Without a code, I'm tossing ideas at ya. I've worked on a hell of a lot of these cars