Notices
Lancer Troubleshooting Get help with any troubleshooting problems you may have.

front bumper

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2002, 01:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
front bumper

Does anyone know how to take off the plastic grill located at the bottom of the front bumper?
Old Aug 25, 2002, 01:41 AM

i think you have to take the front bumper off to reach all the retaining screws
Old Aug 25, 2002, 02:02 AM

You dont HAVE to take the front bumper off to get to them. It is easier to get the grill out if you remove the bumper but personally I though removing the bumper was a complete pain in the ***. To remove the grills in the bumper make sure you have a stubby philips screw driver. Then remove both headlights. Next remove the 5 pop pins holding the black plastic guards on the underbody of the car. This makes it so you can move the upright black plastic guards underneath the headlights and remove grill screws more easily. Each of the small plastic grill pieces have 3 screws and come out relatively easily. The only screw I had problems with on the 2 small pieces was the one blocked by the wiper fluid resevoir. Now the center piece is a real pain in the ***. It is held in place by 2 screws and 6 slotted plastic tabs. Remove both of the screws from the center grate before popping the tabs. The screws are located one on the left side one on the right hidden inside deep plastic channels. The one on the drivers side is VERY difficult to remove due to an inconveniently place metal bar. If you are planning on putting something in place of the existing plastic grills you may want to call a friend buy some beer and take the bumper and its 50 million screws off. I took out my plastic grill pieces and replaced it with silver aluminum grill mesh it took 2 of us 2.5 hours to do it using the procedure described above. When we removed my bumper on a later project it took much much much longer.

Last edited by Metalak; Aug 25, 2002 at 02:07 AM.
Old Aug 26, 2002, 09:32 AM

You talking about the center or the two side pieces of grill? If it's the side pieces, just take off the splash guard under the car and you can get to the screws pretty easily.