Notices
Lancer Vendor Classifieds See what special deals and offers our vendors have going on! These vendors have registered their Tax ID and other pertinent information so you can be more assured when purchasing items.

Wilwood Front Big Brake Kit

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2003, 11:13 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm beginning to think this is a lost cause. Any uopdates, RMR or anyone else have any interest? Guess this is some money I'll have to spend on somethin' else.
Old Mar 2, 2003, 11:32 PM
Evolved Member

Well, I think the 16" wheel minimum is the big problem here. While I can recognize that you can't fit much larger rotors inside the stock 15s, that $700 upgrade is far more costly when you don't have a new set of wheels. Personally, I'd like to get a new set of wheels eventually, but I'm sure I'd keep my 15s around too with some winter tires on them since all the potholes around here would be pretty devastating to the 17s I'd like to get.

Besides, I'm much more interested in a rear disc conversion than a bigger rotor for the front. I imagine that these are a few of the reasons that people aren't jumping to the offer.
-N
Old Mar 2, 2003, 11:41 PM
Evolving Member

well this is what makes it a, all together now...
"Wilwood Front Big Brake Kit"

'Big" is the key word

i wish i had the loot for these anybody wanna buy mt soul for 800 bucks.
Old Mar 2, 2003, 11:45 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

I kinda assumed most people had bought new wheels by now. I know it's the first mod I made.

Anyway, still hoping for more responses.

Last edited by HobieKopek; Mar 3, 2003 at 12:22 AM.
Old Mar 2, 2003, 11:59 PM
Evolved Member

Dah...the front brake kit would be many times more useful than any rear conversion since this car is so heavily biased to the front concerning weight. I think it was somewhere in the range of 70/30 and that's not good. A rear disc conversion in this car is for looks over performance for the most part.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 02:00 AM
Evolved Member

thats right!! only ur front brake is making ur car slowing down!! the rear is just there kinda helpin..or for hand brake uses!
Old Mar 3, 2003, 02:10 AM
Evolving Member

thats because the rear are drums, the front are slowing you down more cause they are disc brakes, you put disc brakes in the back also and youll stop nicely.....I would like both a front and back upgrade but im not even sure if im keeping my car so i dont know if that will ever happen...

plus if you put rear disc brakes in youll get BETTER balance because of the fact that the fron disc brakes will overwhelm the car with power throwing all of its weight forward over the front wheels, its all about momentum if you are racing and need HARD braking because when you are just slightly slowing, like street use, front disc upgrade will do, but for autoX and rally, your gonna need rear brakes also so that the momentum wont throw the cars balance off on powerful stops.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 07:54 AM
Evolved Member

I'll stand behind my belief that rear discs would be more of a benefit. If for nothing else, your front pads won't wear nearly as fast if your rears can pick up some of the slack.

For anyone who thinks the rears don't do anything, I suggest you replace them. If you've ever replaced rear brakes when they're low, you know damned well that they do an awful lot. Your braking gets significantly harder even if you do just have rear drums.
-N
Old Mar 3, 2003, 08:23 AM
EvoM Staff Alumni

If you would like to discuss the braking mechanics of the Lancer, please do it in suspension tech. It becomes very difficult to keep vendor threads clean when they go from interest in a product to tech discussions and/or arguments.
Old Mar 3, 2003, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We have 3 orders so far...
Old Mar 3, 2003, 07:54 PM

hmm, thats a lot of money, id do it if i had the money, tell you what, if you go through with it youll def have a buyer in liek 3-6 months, ill just upgrade the rotors and the brakes at the same time
Old Mar 3, 2003, 09:41 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

With only three preorders we're far from our necessary goal of 10. I don't wanna try to lock you in, but if you're serious about it and will have the money in a month or two then you may wanna seriously consider getting in on the group buy now before it peters off.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 03:28 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally posted by ralliart
yes, i know that obviously, but dont you think its alittle strange that he is offering a brake upgrade only for 16inch rims and up and the stock rims are 15 inch?
it's a BIG brake kit, so the rotors and brakes might be so large as to not fit inside the inner diameter of a 15" rim. They could make one to fit a stock rim, but then they'd have to call it the "Medium Large Brake Kit". Just my .02, and I'm in the same rut. I would order it for autocrossing on my 16s, but I still drive daily on my stock 15s. Oh well, at least that keeps me from spending more money.
Old Mar 4, 2003, 03:35 PM
Bomb Squad Unit #02

Originally posted by neilscully
I'll stand behind my belief that rear discs would be more of a benefit. If for nothing else, your front pads won't wear nearly as fast if your rears can pick up some of the slack.

For anyone who thinks the rears don't do anything, I suggest you replace them. If you've ever replaced rear brakes when they're low, you know damned well that they do an awful lot. Your braking gets significantly harder even if you do just have rear drums.
-N
Just putting my .02 in again (I hope I'm not making any enemies ) but the front brakes do about 85% of the braking, especially on our nose dive happy lancers. Although rear discs would help a little, if you increase the rear braking power too much without improving the fronts, the car will nose dive, lifting the rear wheels up, and all the rear stopping power will stop your rear wheels, letting them skid across the pavement while the fronts struggle to stop the car alone. This concept seems to be agreed upon by all the fwd drivers in my autocross circuit. Food for thought.

Edit: Oops, I just saw Hobies response about keeping tech discussions out of this, but look at the bright side, I'm helping to advertise so you get more orders

Last edited by urbanknight; Mar 4, 2003 at 03:40 PM.
Old Mar 5, 2003, 08:35 PM
Evolved Member

Bump

Quick Reply: Wilwood Front Big Brake Kit