Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

91 Supra Turbo need serious help!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2004, 01:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy 91 Supra Turbo need serious help!

Hey all, if any of you have owned, worked on, or understand the MK III Supra Turbo, please continue reading. This is a US version car w/ 7M GTE and 5 speed manual.

So I bought this car used with basically a non-functioning turbo. The car would boost just barely about 0. After about three months of driving, one of the rods connecting the piston to the crank shaft broke off and I cracked a big hole in the engine block. To make a long story short my mechanic ordered a JDM replacement and put it back together. When he put the new engine in, I also had him put in a used CT-26 (stock) turbo that I picked up off of ebay. Well guess what the used turbo I got does not spool up properly either. OK, I don't mind living without the turbo for the time being, however the engine doesn't seem to run properly without it. I have really decent low end torque, but once the RPM's get above 3 grand there's nothing at all there. The engine won't even rev to red line, it has a lot of difficulty getting up to 5k, and won't go above it without sounding like it's going to explode. I'm not sure if the problem is soley due to the worn out turbo, or if there's some other problem. I had my mechanic drive it, and he says that he suspects the clutch may be not holding at high RPMs. I don't think that could be the problem because if the clutch wasn't holding, the engine should still at least be able to rev to redline without much difficulty right? If I had a N/A version of this car I would suspect the engine should have decent power up to red line , so why does mine not ? Anyone familiar with this type of problem please let me know what you think. Especially if you have driven one of these with a blown or poorly functioning turbo, would you expect the problem I'm having?

Last edited by ChodeSlappinFun; Oct 26, 2004 at 05:02 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 08:00 PM
Account Disabled

WOW, just keep spending money!?!?!?!?

I woulda swapped in a 2JZ-GTE Turbo. Gte a new Turbo, a BETTER ONE then a CT-26 BTW.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 10:59 AM
Evolving Member

Sounds like a money pit.
Old Oct 26, 2004, 11:07 AM
Evolved Member

would suggest u sell it and get other car. will cost u some serious money down the road.