Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

My Eclipse Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2005, 04:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Eclipse Review

i went to my dealer today and checked one out. everyone but the GM was on lunch, so no test drive this time (its ok, they only had an auto). i'll add the test drive impressions later.

first off it looks much better in person really, and it was SO nice to finally be able to get in the car (been sweating it since i saw it at the NAIAS). the seats feel great, very comfortable but not quite as much bolstering as the recaro's in the evo (60% of americans are overweight, mitsubishi did their homework). the fabric they use is still that awesome soft faux-suede with a mesh overlay. very nice.

fit and finish felt pretty good, although it felt like the cup holder in the center will be MUCH too high for comfortably driving the 6 speed. the HVAC controls felt much nicer than those in the lancer/evo and all of the gauges had the sweet ice blue glow. very cool. plenty of headroom without the sunroof (i'm about 6'3") and ample legroom in the front. skinny chicks and kids will fit in the back, but that's about it. the steering wheel looks really nice and the brushed aluminum logo adds the perfect finishing touch.

another cool standard feature is the pressure-equalizing windows (like seen in BMWs) where the window goes down a small amount when you open the door to keep your ears from popping and gives a better seal for less wind noise on the highway.

i checked out the engine bay and was kind of surprised how small it looked for a 3.8L. something else i noticed was there didn't seem to be much room, if any, for a CAI. we'll find out soon enough i'm sure.

the headlights look nice from a cosmetic point of view (with that cool UV lens), but that very lens doesn't appear to do anything. i'd like to see how it looks with a nice set of PIAA or catz bulbs in there.

trunk space is quite small, as expected, and to be honest, i don't think i'm a fan of the spoiler. i mean, sure, its cool in some respects but i think it would have been better as 1) color matched and 2) an option. everyone is stuck with the spoiler, love it or hate it.

moving back to the exterior... that color (was rotor glow orange) sunseat pearlescent... not a fan. not on the 350z, not on the se-r, not on the srt-4, and most definitely not on the avalanche. same holds true for the eclipse. the door handles both interior and exterior have a very cool design and feel to them. the stock 17 inch wheels get the job done, but are pretty boring if you ask me and the wheel gap... well, it is just silly. however, 18s and dubs are all the rage these days, so at least you'll have plenty of room to work with.

i guess that's about all i have for now. i'm going to try and drive both models to compare the engines (specifically the GS vs the Ralliart and the GT against the Evo).

i want to see this bad boy in white.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 04:14 PM
Evolved Member

very well said...i work at the dealer...and mitsu did some right things with this car...this is mitsu's 3rd project of america and you will see more to come. Also mitsu has a new advertising company, forgot who, but they have done great work with cingular and other major corps out there...mitsu sales has been up each month compared to the months before.

look at some aspects, mitsu has come a long way where it was in 2003 and 2004...also whoeva uses MMCA for their finances, you will be gettin a notice in da mail within the next 6 months about a change in banks....we are talkin about a major bank here in the US
Old Jun 2, 2005, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

I went to the dealer too. I didnt get to test drive one because they had sold all 10 of the eclipses they got in. I was lucky enough to see the last one on the parking lot for a few minutes because the owners took it away.

I like the way the headlights and tailights look when they light up. Kinda has a futuristic look.
I was wondering about the lens in the headlights. Never saw that before.

Hopefully there is a big aftermarket support for the eclipse.
Old Jun 2, 2005, 04:44 PM

you guys are lucky, my dealer here in canada said they said they wont be getting there first ones in until late july/august..
Old Jun 2, 2005, 05:57 PM
Evolved Member

thats funny...every dealer got 2 a In4, and a v6
Old Jun 2, 2005, 06:07 PM
Evolving Member

Yeah, so I went in to the dealership today and parked in front was a silver GT V6. It decently attractive despite the huge *** on that thing. I talked to the dealer about it and he let me open it up and sit and shift that thing. The shifts feel decent, not too long but not too short either. When I asked for a brochure they didn't have any normal copies, so now I have the dealer's copy with a giant poster in it. I saw: "HAWT."
Old Jun 2, 2005, 06:45 PM
Evolving Member

I haven't test driven it yet either. My dealership has an automatic GT and manual GS. I would have driven the GS that day had it not been on the showroom floor.