Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Me Elise is wrecked: Cost to repair, 18,000+

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2005, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dunno if anyone said it or not, I'm not reading anymore than the first page... But I've been in both (and Evo and an Elise, one with the lightweight pack thing) on a track, and raced against two of them on the same track... Trust me, if you have to total it, you'll be happy with the Evo and be missing the convertible aspect of the Elise, then just go buy a used Miata and you're set. But I was keeping up with/keeping them off my tail enough with the two Elises that there didn't seem to be much difference in our times at all (though, I will admit that now that the Evos are more popular the Elise gets LOADS more attention when you roll up anywhere)
Ok, seriously, the Evo is DAMN fast and scares me and people riding with me around corners and around town... but nothing FEELS cooler than to drive than a little two seater roadster all race prepped and your butt dragging on the ground.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 12:29 AM
Evolved Member

Wow!
Old Jul 9, 2005, 05:36 AM

Isnt a lotus nothing but a "legal" kit car? I mean they are pretty small, Im suprised you used one as a daily driver (if you did). I drive on the highways alot and id become paranoid looking up and seeing them massive tractor trailor truck tires right around my head.

Sucks about your car either way. I guess that jeep was trail rated.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 11:22 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by earl lee
Isnt a lotus nothing but a "legal" kit car? I mean they are pretty small, Im suprised you used one as a daily driver (if you did). I drive on the highways alot and id become paranoid looking up and seeing them massive tractor trailor truck tires right around my head.

Sucks about your car either way. I guess that jeep was trail rated.
Yeah, pretty much. The Lotus is exempt from 5 MPH bumpers, and does not meet federalized headligh standards. To my knowlege it did meet crash tests, but we all know how that works.

Scientifically, the force of an impact can be broken down

Force=Mass x Acceleration.

The Jeep weighs close to 5800 pounds, but from a downhill position, and his uphill location, the weight of his car was effectively increased.

My car weighs 1975 pounds.

My car was stopped and his was moving at around 10 M.P.H.

That is like my car hitting a brick wall at 30 MPH.....

Going to test drive an EVO in 1 hour. Will report later.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 02:56 PM
Evolving Member

Wow, what a car. I really like it. It is a lot quicker than the Lotus for sure, although there is a lot of body roll from what I am used to. The torque is amazing, it is nice to feel it again.

I still have an S4 to drive to get the feel for it, but if the insurnace totals my car, I think a EVO would do nicely. The sound system has to go though...
Old Jul 9, 2005, 05:21 PM
Evolved Member

Holy crap, the jeep barely touched you and did that much damage. Imagine if you got in a real car accident....
Old Jul 9, 2005, 05:44 PM
EvoM Staff Alumni

Nah, Mean. I don't know much about the Evo's output on stock turbo. Something tells me the turbo isn't a limiting factor until you've dumped quite a bit into other mods. I don't have a flow chart unfortunately, but there may be one online somewhere.
Old Jul 9, 2005, 06:31 PM
Evolved Member

I'll be surprised if they total it with that damage. Totalling a $45k car with 18k in damage would be like totalling a new $30k Evo that has 12k in damage
Old Jul 11, 2005, 03:22 PM

Take the check from the insurance company, Bondo that thing and throw it on ebay. (jking)

Sorry for your loss, glad you're okay.

The Celica powertrain is durable though; http://www.bathurst24hr.com/
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:22 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mean TT
Wow, what a car. I really like it. It is a lot quicker than the Lotus for sure, although there is a lot of body roll from what I am used to. The torque is amazing, it is nice to feel it again.

I still have an S4 to drive to get the feel for it, but if the insurnace totals my car, I think a EVO would do nicely. The sound system has to go though...
yea, evo is the right choice body rolls can be corrected with minimal mod
Old Jul 11, 2005, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
WOW SUCKS MAN! hope you get it fixed soon.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 06:44 PM
Evolving Member

Towed it into the shop today. I realized today that the windshield was broken as well. This makes me think that the chassis has a higher probability of being treaked since the alignment is so far out of wack, and the shape of the windshield might have caused it to crack.

This means that there is another 1000 to 1250 dollars that needs to be added to the bill.

I heard from the insurnace company that they estimated 6900 dolalrs for repairs. I laughed out loug at the woman. They will fond out soon enough that they are WAYYYYY off. I told her that the estimate was just silly and the crash structure was 11,000 to repair on its own. She said that it would be "negociated." I don't think so. I know that they charce 100 per hour in labor. The parts alone are 2500 for a clam, 11,000 for a crash structre, cost of headlights and turn signals (unknown) windshield 1000, grills 100 brackets 250 side door (unknown) 14 layers of pain and primer and clear coat etc etc. 6900 isn't even close. That doesn't include the oil cooler or possible radiator. I was hoping they woudl just cut me a check.

Any suggestions???
Old Jul 11, 2005, 07:37 PM
Evolved Member

Location: Work - New York, Alaska, Mexico or the Caribbean. -Home - Tx Hill Country
Originally Posted by Mean TT
Towed it into the shop today. I realized today that the windshield was broken as well. This makes me think that the chassis has a higher probability of being treaked since the alignment is so far out of wack, and the shape of the windshield might have caused it to crack.

This means that there is another 1000 to 1250 dollars that needs to be added to the bill.

I heard from the insurnace company that they estimated 6900 dolalrs for repairs. I laughed out loug at the woman. They will fond out soon enough that they are WAYYYYY off. I told her that the estimate was just silly and the crash structure was 11,000 to repair on its own. She said that it would be "negociated." I don't think so. I know that they charce 100 per hour in labor. The parts alone are 2500 for a clam, 11,000 for a crash structre, cost of headlights and turn signals (unknown) windshield 1000, grills 100 brackets 250 side door (unknown) 14 layers of pain and primer and clear coat etc etc. 6900 isn't even close. That doesn't include the oil cooler or possible radiator. I was hoping they woudl just cut me a check.

Any suggestions???
Take it to the dealer and sit tight. They aren't used to a car like the Lotus. They'll figure it out soon.
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:06 PM
Evolving Member

Well I am not taking it to a non sanctioned shop. All of the parts are raw, they don't come with holes drilled in them, and everything needs to be fit perfectly. This is a hand build car, and as such it has to be repaired by hand . I personally think that 100 dolalrs an hour for labor is ridiculous, but hell what do I care if I am not paying for it.

The funny parts is that I had aPizza hut woman run over my car WHILE IT WAS PARKED at about 1 MPH and the repairs were 4800 dollars.

I am a litle worried because I had an Audi TT that was hit by an illegally turning Tahoe and the initial estimate was 5200 dollars. It ended up being 15,000 dollars in repairs, and I would have taken a check instead of a rebuilt car. The same thing follows here as well.... only I am now concerned with my saftey as well.

I think that the insurance companies need to get a clue. Their adjusters are just idiots. I tried to explain the costs, but he wanted nothing to do with it.

I really just want and EVO..... and maybe a little cash left over to get rid of the body lean and add 75-100 hp.
Old Jul 15, 2005, 01:58 PM
Account Disabled

What the lotus should have come with:

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1309009&page=1

The k20r is a way better motor than that celica junk :P

Acceleration test:
0-60 MPH = 3.7 seconds
0-100 MPH = 8.9 seconds

Quick Reply: Me Elise is wrecked: Cost to repair, 18,000+