Notices
The Loft / EvoM Car Talk Corner The landing pad for automotive discussions, news, articles, and opinions. A place for the community to kick back and chat.

Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe Time Attack

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2006, 12:36 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
yeah that cobalt was a POS. i saw the time attack results and couldn't believe that little piece beat EVO's and all the other cars their until i saw the fact that it was a full factory back GM effort vs small privately owned shops. they probably spent upwards of $1 million on that car. and like meanmud said, it was running 150 shot of NOS on the str8's and still barely beat out the second place car. i believe it was the CyberEVO? without that NOS shot, it would have been a middle of the pack performer. cobalts still suck ***. friends dont let friends drive domestics.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 03:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 75 Likes on 68 Posts
It's not that bad of a car, I would have considering owning one when they still had that Recaro sports package.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 06:27 PM
Evolved Member

i'd rather have a new civic Si. and if you go F/I with that thing, you can get yourself an easy 300hp. unlike that POS engine in the cobalt.
Old Dec 21, 2006, 07:47 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by evodrivesme
That's the funniest thing I have seen in a long, long time!!!

Thanks!
Old Dec 21, 2006, 08:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ODUB
yeah that cobalt was a POS. i saw the time attack results and couldn't believe that little piece beat EVO's and all the other cars their until i saw the fact that it was a full factory back GM effort vs small privately owned shops. they probably spent upwards of $1 million on that car. and like meanmud said, it was running 150 shot of NOS on the str8's and still barely beat out the second place car. i believe it was the CyberEVO? without that NOS shot, it would have been a middle of the pack performer. cobalts still suck ***. friends dont let friends drive domestics.
I heard they spent around $350,000. Nonetheless, it's a POS that I wouldn't drive.

BTW, there are more than plenty of domestics that I'd take over an Evo or an STi/STI any day of the week. Friends don't let friends drive FWD domestics with less than a V8 (Grand National excluded).

All 1960s-1972 domestic Muscle Cars > Evo/STi/STI. They don't have half the pizzazz, class, or fanbase of a classic American Muscle Car. The new domestics are another story, aside from the Ford GT, Viper, Vette, Mosler MT900, and Saleen S7.

Last edited by Sinister Subaru; Dec 21, 2006 at 08:33 PM.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 12:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Sinister Subaru
I heard they spent around $350,000. Nonetheless, it's a POS that I wouldn't drive.

BTW, there are more than plenty of domestics that I'd take over an Evo or an STi/STI any day of the week. Friends don't let friends drive FWD domestics with less than a V8 (Grand National excluded).

All 1960s-1972 domestic Muscle Cars > Evo/STi/STI. They don't have half the pizzazz, class, or fanbase of a classic American Muscle Car. The new domestics are another story, aside from the Ford GT, Viper, Vette, Mosler MT900, and Saleen S7.
lol you're crazy. try to take one of those 1960-1972 boats around a corner and see what happens. if you can make it through a set of corners before you have to fill up again lol wow... to say that those cars can compare with the performance of anything made today is just dumb. yeah they had big power, because they needed it to move those big hunks of steel around. 400hp in a 4,000lb+ car isn't that impressive. neither is getting 10mpg. or riding around with a 3 or 4 speed tranny. oh, and don't even get me started on the suspension systems. solid axles...leaf springs???? c'mon now.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 01:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ODUB
lol you're crazy. try to take one of those 1960-1972 boats around a corner and see what happens. if you can make it through a set of corners before you have to fill up again lol wow... to say that those cars can compare with the performance of anything made today is just dumb. yeah they had big power, because they needed it to move those big hunks of steel around. 400hp in a 4,000lb+ car isn't that impressive. neither is getting 10mpg. or riding around with a 3 or 4 speed tranny. oh, and don't even get me started on the suspension systems. solid axles...leaf springs???? c'mon now.
I really don't care if they take corners. Evos and STis/STIs will never have the same iconic value that a classic American Muscle Car will have. You will never see an Evo on Barrett-Jackson sell for $100,000+. You will never see an Evo at the Concours D'Elegance.

I don't care what you think is dumb, because you've made more than your share of questionable comments, not only in this thread, but in others. 4000 lbs? Nice try. You may wanna do your research before you make such statements. Not to be rude, but even trying to debate classic American Muscle Cars with me is a losing battle for you. I'm going to give you that golden opportunity to go check your facts and correct yourself.

You drive a Mitsubishi, ok? You don't drive some exotic piece of machinery. You drive a factory-modified high performance economy car. Solid axles? Leaf springs? The Evo has an AWD system that was adapted from a FWD system. Talk about old technology.....
Old Dec 22, 2006, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

Could someone show me where GM spent all this money on the car? Seems like people are throwing around numbers with no proof at all.

What about the SRT-4 that won One Lap of America -- was that cheating too?

Also, the Cobalt had the most wins in Grand Am and it holds the FWD 1/4 record --

Just the the SRT4, the Cobalt is crapping on FWD 4-banger imports. Much respect.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell
Could someone show me where GM spent all this money on the car? Seems like people are throwing around numbers with no proof at all.

Also, the Cobalt had the most wins in Grand Am and it holds the FWD 1/4 record --

Just the the SRT4, the Cobalt is crapping on FWD 4-banger imports. Much respect.
A little respect is due

Mopar & GM have MAJOR $$$$ involvement They need to start selling against these imports.

Did you see pics of the Cobalt that Heinrecy engineered & drove - Hmm; where to start?? Do you think they "just" slapped aftermarket stuff on there? There was a team of GM's Racing Engineers working on that car long before they strapped anything to it

But - yes, respect is always due to the winner
Old Dec 22, 2006, 03:17 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by E. Haskell

And all of these cars have a ton of factory support. I can guarantee you that if I had Subaru's factory support that I'd walk every single Evo on Evo M. With money like that, there's no excuse not to be able to.

Think about it. GM Vs. Average Joe Tuner. That's like comparing Bill Gates' paycheck to that of a McDonalds employee's.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 04:32 PM
Evolved Member

That car that GM built kicked ***. Yes it is fwd and I dont like them but that car runs great on tracks... A lot of it is still stock. they are good platforms for fwd.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 04:53 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mitsuozboi
That car that GM built kicked ***. Yes it is fwd and I dont like them but that car runs great on tracks... A lot of it is still stock. they are good platforms for fwd.
Not much of that car is stock, but it is built up of many parts that have been developed for it by GM Performance Parts.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 07:01 PM

Inside joke is GM is laying off people to pay for their promotional cars.
Old Dec 22, 2006, 07:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by zze-131
Inside joke is GM is laying off people to pay for their promotional cars.
It wouldn't surprise me in the least....
Old Dec 22, 2006, 07:54 PM
Evolved Member

they do say its backed by GM and you can get the parts off the shelves
however
do they mention
what tuning tricks and sublte mods they might do?
Im sure GM spent a bit of money doing all the little things
to that cobalt

its nice to be backed by a multibillion dollar corporation

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Cobalt SS Coupe Time Attack